JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a CZ-52, My brass flies two counties over to worry about.

If I was shooting a beretta 9MM I could do this test easy. The GM's on my ship hated counting my targets because most of my shots were in the same hole. The only shots outside of the group were firing weak hand.

@gimpy51 - what kind of classes?

If you are thinking basic handgun, or defensive handgun, there are a few around.
Start by checking our Vendors forums.
Check your local gun shops, there may be NRA Certified instructors in your area.

Oregon Firearms Academy will be about 4 hours from Klamity-Flats having to add in a motel and I get that the costs start to add up.

When you get to the advanced level, that is when you need to buy in to the instructor. No way you want to be thinking this guy does things wrong ie they are a die-hard 1911 guy and you use Glock.

Fellas. I think we all know we could outshoot any FBI agent or even LEOs for that matter.

Its a lifestyle for me, so of course I have quite a bit of range time. Where as an agent of the law may HAVE to train to pass, I actually WANT to train.. And thats just for fun.

Edit*
And look at those distances, even with strings of fire.. You'd have to just about be blind.. or Michael J Fox to miss.

Good point, When I had to train with LEO to get my CHL, most of them couldn't shoot that well, and I sort of felt bad when I was printing nice tight little groups. LOL. It is a life style, and one I think a lot of us here take some pride in! 28 years of training in pistol craft and I am still learning every day!

Don't need skills! I have magazine capacity!:eek:

When I got my Beretta 92, and first shot it, my upper body was so weak I could barely fire it from a rest! That's when I joined APRC. Took a long time to build up my strength and skill again. Gotta be careful not to let them slide again, even though it usually hurts!

Last Edited:
So then, just what determines if I am "proficient"? What do I have to be able to do? What certificate do I need? Just who gets to judge my proficiency?
You can call the WSJTC and ask for a list of state certified proctors. Some of them are more than happy teaching the WA state "use of force curriculum for armed security guards, private eyes, and head hunters", including the legal aspects and marksmanship. It's pretty decent training. Approximately $200. You will also meet some interesting characters who go for re-certification. ;-)

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/images/Revised Student Study Guide 3-11.pdf

I don't think any one can tell you if you are proficient or not, Only you can pass your own Judgment of your skills! If you feel the training you have is good enough, then your good to go! If you feel up to the tasks associated with Concealed carry, more power to you! Each of us must come to terms with what we can and what we cannot do, My self included! No amount of training or skills can answer that question until it happens to us ( God forbid) and then we will have our answer!

I agree training can not simulate your hormone output, so it's pretty hypothetical how you will react in such situation, but I did find the legal part eye-opening, as well as improving your marksmanship even if it's just paper targets. My biggest takeaway from the marksmanship lesson was to let the gun surprise you when the break actually happens. Trying to control it will jerk the gun and ruin your aim. The legal takeaway was that no matter how justified you were to use lethal force, you may easily spend 6 figures to defend your case. Granted that's still better than being dead, but something to remind you of the "last resort".

May I remind everyone about Colion Noir's series of 9mm and the people who carry, .45's and those who carry them and then the .40/.357Sig debate as the last one.

Who needs proficiency when we have capacity and shot placement.. haha

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top