JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Three times, I've met cohorts who've carried non revolvers one short. Twice with one in the chamber but one short in the mags. Response, was full mags wouldn't reliably seat with one in the chamber. I've since forgotten makes of their tools but one was 45acp and the other was a 9 I beleiive. The third was he didn't like keeping track of the misfit when deactivating his rig so he just kept full mags and then when powering up always knew his had whatever his mag count was.
I personally go with maximum accountability.

Maybe we should all just go back to the simple days of a revolver with six rounds?

View attachment 310668
Harry Callahan: "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? "

+++++

I can remember as a rookie cop, an old timer once told me how he always carried his revolver with the first chamber empty.

WTF...is wrong with him?

Aloha, Mark

Was his last name Earp?

If you're carrying a Single Action Army or similar without a Ruger-style transfer-bar, hammer down on empty chamber makes sense--an original unmodified SAA will discharge with the hammer just resting on the primer if you whack it hard enough.

Saw an incident recently after a shooting where number of shots fired couldn't be verified because the magazines weren't full. Officer had fired a duty round at the range after switching to ball because she didn't realize she should eject the round while switching duty mags for practice mags. She must have done it with all of her magazines at one time because she didnt have a single full magazine. In a shooting, your perception of what you did may be off and the number of rounds fired is critical. Easiest way to know is how many rounds you have missing from FULL magazines.

but that was LEO... I'm curious how this matters to an armed citizen, in such an unfortunate event they need to use their gun? The only person I would answer to how many rounds fired would be my lawyer.

but that was LEO... I'm curious how this matters to an armed citizen, in such an unfortunate event they need to use their gun? The only person I would answer to how many rounds fired would be my lawyer.

I get where your coming from and agree 100%.

I'm going to make an assumption and say he was talking about any engagement where your using your pistol, it pays for You to know how many rounds are left in the mag...

I practice counting my rounds just for that reason.

Cops want to know how many times I pulled the trigger in a shooting and I'll lawyer up.

If you're carrying a Single Action Army or similar without a Ruger-style transfer-bar, hammer down on empty chamber makes sense--an original unmodified SAA will discharge with the hammer just resting on the primer if you whack it hard enough.

Yes and........

No. His name wasn't Wyatt Earp and it wasn't a SAA. Jeez....I got gray hair but, I'm not that old. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

I'm going to make an assumption and say he was talking about any engagement where your using your pistol, it pays for You to know how many rounds are left in the mag...
I don't know... I cant think of any reason. You shoot until the threat stops and nothing more. The investigation is going to turn up how many rounds you fired, I don't see any reason to bother with keeping track of round count?
The OP didn't state any reason this would matter to an armed citizen. I'm curious why, is all?

I don't know... I cant think of any reason. You shoot until the threat stops and nothing more. The investigation is going to turn up how many rounds you fired, I don't see any reason to bother with keeping track of round count?
The OP didn't state any reason this would matter to an armed citizen. I'm curious why, is all?

Just playing devils advocate here - may not have anything to do with the OP's posts but I will agree if you are only fighting 1 person then shoot till your safe.

Multiple attackers and you can make it to cover then it saves you haveing to drop your mag to count rounds left in it.

Now, all my pistols are 10+1 or less so maybe it's not as big of a deal if you have 17 round mag guns, but when your dealing with low round count it can make a big difference IMO.

Shooting revolvers got me to start counting my shots and I just never stopped practicing.

the old Kenny Rogers song The Gambler says "you never count your money when your sittin at the table..."

I was taught to shoot till slide lock, if your in a lull from cover you perform a retention reload... was never taught to count rounds you just swap the mags.
But I dont think the OPs post has anything to do with tactics, Im wondering about the legal aspects of how many rounds you shoot to save your life?

IIRC, Ayoob teaches that every pull of the trigger has an Ambulance Chasing Sh*tweasel attached to it, and that you had best be prepared to justify every shot you take, including pointing out backstops and such that you expected to stop the round once it exited the BG.

the old Kenny Rogers song The Gambler says "you never count your money when your sittin at the table..."

I was taught to shoot till slide lock, if your in a lull from cover you perform a retention reload... was never taught to count rounds you just swap the mags.
But I dont think the OPs post has anything to do with tactics, Im wondering about the legal aspects of how many rounds you shoot to save your life?

My original post is in the context of the investigation afterwards. They always say you own each bullet you fire. I sure wouldn't want to own any I didn't fire. Easy way to know exactly how many you are responsible for is to know how many you had. Easiest way is to always carry full magazines.

Good reminder for everyone who carries. I always carry full+1. When I shoot my carry at the range, I carefully reload the mag, pop one in the chamber, then pull the mag and top it off with the final round. I can't think I've ever carried a partial magazine, but it's a good reminder to be very aware when loading your carry gun.

Well back when I was a Super Silly Special Chairbone Danger Ranger we always only carried one bullet ... it might not even
fit our gun but I was so badazz I really didin't need a gun LOL
Wait ...
Just seems kinda silly not to carry a full magazine.
Why not use every advantage you can?
Andy

Well back when I was a Super Silly Special Chairbone Danger Ranger we always only carried one bullet ... it might not even
fit our gun but I was so badazz I really didin't need a gun LOL
Wait ...
Just seems kinda silly not to carry a full magazine.
Why not use every advantage you can?
Andy

In that case, Ill take a 30mm shell taped to the inside of my left thigh.

You say you fired 6 but, the investigation later shows 7.

Mistake or lie? Either way.......

You can expect to be crucified by the press, lawyers, politicians and arm chair experts. Did I miss anyone? Not to mention, that you won't have "credibility" going forward. People expect.......perfect.

Which bring us to.........body cameras. They can be a plus and at the same time a minus.

Maybe, it's better just to stick with, "Plan One?"

Aloha, Mark

So if I am reading right, our police keep racking the same round in the chamber over and over? I was under the impression it could cause issues with the rounds.
it can cause "bullet setback" and it can be a problem if you dont retire the round after too much setback.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top