JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doing what to some is a tactical reload would be.... You have fired a half dozen rounds and there is a lull in the fight, Get a fresh mag and remove the old one, insert fresh. Save old mag to a pocket or inside your shirt. Here is where a mag downloaded a round is handy as it is easier to seat with the slide/bolt closed. Now you still have a round in chamber and a full mag if fighting resumes,

I always shoot the one in the chamber of my carry pistol every time I go to the range. I understand that with some full size pistols it can be tough to get that last round loaded in the pistol after loading one in the chamber. I always keep an empty mag in my range bag for dry fire and to use as a "Barney Magazine", as in Barney Fife. One cartridge in the Barney mag for loading the chamber, then seat the full magazine in after so you are fully loaded.

I can remember as a rookie cop, an old timer once told me how he always carried his revolver with the first chamber empty.

WTF...is wrong with him?

Aloha, Mark

Older revolvers that had the firing pin still on the hammer could negligently fire the round aligned in the cylinder by the hammer being hit hard enough in the "uncocked" position.

Mind you, we're talking pre-WWII revolvers...modern revolvers have a hammer safety bar.

Last Edited:
The possible problem with chambering the same cartridge multiple times is possible bullet set-back. So, over time, I have checked chambered rounds with calipers. Even after 6 chamberings, I have never measured more than a .002 in. set-back. IMHO, that is insignificant. Not worth fretting about. I think the idea of not rechambering is an over-kill thing.

The only time I have run into a problem of "Setback" was when the cases were too long and the case necks didn't crimp properly on the bullet. I now religiously check case lengthts and I use a "Factory crimp" (Taper Crimp) die.;)

Why in the world would anyone carry less than full magazines? Makes no sense to me...

If you make the conscience effort to carry, you can take a moment to ensure your magazines are loaded to capacity...

Just common sense gun preparation...

People are understandably confused when they hear there are times people should carry less than the stated maximum capacity of the magazine.

The first thing people need to recognize is that there can be a difference between the capacity a magazine is designed to be loaded to and the advertised capacity. -Just because an additional round can be squeezed into a mag does not mean the magazine will seat or function reliably with the extra round.

Many who have familiarity with the AR-15 platform know to only load 28 rounds in a mag that has been advertised as a 30 round mag.

With Glock pistols, the top tier instructors generally advise to load one less than the advertised capacity so the mags will reliably seat with the slide forward.

Years ago, Walther's P99 magazines had the same design vs. advertised capacity issue the Glock mags have. The 9mm versions of the P99 had an advertised capacity of 16 rounds and the .40S&W versions of the P99 had an advertised capacity of 12 rounds.

As with the Glock pistols, people experienced some trouble seating the fully loaded magazines with the slide forward. With these maximum loads, there was simply no more room for the springs to compress.

This problem really came out of marketing. Every company wanted to advertise their pistols held more rounds because more is better as far as the market is concerned. So companies overstated capacity and forced their mags to accommodate the extra round.

Walther's engineers finally forced marketing to back off this insistence on the extra round. Walther's new P99 mags held 15 rounds instead of 16 for the 9mm version and 11 rounds instead of 12 for the .40 S&W version.

This capacity has stayed the same for the PPQ which is Walther's update of the P99.

This link has some useful advice on magazines.

Magazines

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads