JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After having spinal surgery a couple of weeks ago, I figured I'd recovered enough to at least take my new Caracal C out to the range for the first time. I had a blast, although I wasn't hoping for much in terms of my own shooting. When they essentially cut through the muscles from your hairline to your shoulders and then retract and stretch them to either side far enough to expose your spine (my apologies to the squeamish), one of the things that happens is you lose a lot of strength in terms of how long you can keep your arms out in a shooting position and how steady they are when they're extended. I'd been dry firing it with snap caps once the pain let me do that, and I noticed a small but clear tremor when I had my arms out holding the pistol.

That was still slightly at play when I was at the range. So I wasn't shooting for accuracy. I figured I'd just load two 15-round mags at a time, then just try to see how well the pistol did with minimal sighting, just point, quick sight picture, shoot and run the mags out at about one shot per second or so for ten mags worth, 150 rounds. I was shooting my reloads, 124 gr Berry's hollowbase flatpoint plated bullets over 4.2 grains of Titegroup using Federal brass and CCI primers with COL of 1.065. The target was a standard sized half-a-man profile target at 50 feet.

I learned five things. 1) The Caracal C I got was flawless out of the box, with no FTFs or no FTEs with bullets that some semi-autos just don't like and brass that I'm sure has some minor rim erosion. 2) The low bore axis and the forward positioning of the grip results in a very light recoiling pistol with minimal barrel flip. 3) It shoots point of aim, not six o'clock. 4) The sights are ok, but not great. I have the single dot over single dot standard sights, not the odd milled in, short radius QuickSights. 5) With this pistol you pretty much don't need the sights anyway. It points and shoots instinctively like an extension of yourself.

Here's the target, after a two mag 30-round warmup on another target, just massing all the rounds (120) onto one target, rate of fire approximately one round per second (one mississippi, two mississippi, etc). The good sized round collection on the lower portion was early on, with the remainder of the target hits made after I could see I was hitting low and adjusted a tad. This pistol is a steal for a gun that runs in the mid $400. My new favorite. I'll take it out again once I feel a bit more stable to see how it shoots for accuracy.

CaracalTarget.jpg

Despite the nearly 10 oz difference (Beretta 34.5 oz/Caracal 24.7 oz), I really think the Caracal is less, or at least feels less. The rounds I was shooting are snappy and I found myself early on thinking I'd brought the case with the lighter 9mm rounds I load (3.9 gr of Titegroup vs 4.2). But I mark my cases with load info and it was the 4.2 rounds. It has a flat captive recoil spring assembly around a polymer guide rod that Caracal rates for 10,000 (yep, 10k) rounds. There's a company called Galloway Precision that's gearing up to make custom recoil assemblies using stainless steel guide rods that fit both the F and C models. I emailed them and Erik, their tech guy, said the machinin equipment is still being instated but production should start in a few weeks. Cost is $40. They also will be offering custom grip panels for both models as well. Several places are already advertising Caracal mags for as low as $20. So parts are flowing. If they're buying custom machinery to make guide rods for the Caracal, I think they must feel these guns are going to be the hit I think they'll be.

24.7 ounces for the Caracal, seems a little heavy. Glocks are less than 22, I believe. The Caracal is supposed to have less parts, if I remember correctly

Less parts yes, but there is more metal on the Caracal. The rails are substantially larger than Glock(advertised as 400% greater).

I get 24oz for my Caracal C with an empty Caracal F magazine in it(C mags are all loaded) and my Glock 17 with empty mag weighs exactly the same.

Yep. You beat me to it. The thing's built to last. The internal parts are all contained in a steel framed modular assembly that can be removed in one unit. And the guide rails are, for all practical purpose, practically full length, as compared to my S&W M&P full size .45 which has four small steel supports that the frame rides on. All of that makes for a much more rigid frame that avoids polymer flex and gives the slide exceptional stability through it's full recoil and reset. Or at least that's my opinion of what the result is, not being a smith or gun designer. I managed to get a fairly good shot of the internal structure that shows the guide rods. They extend from the very back of the frame all the way to just short of the front of the trigger guard, which in the Caracal C is about two-thirds the length of the gun, with only very brief gaps for the slide release, etc. Note: For some reason, the light makes it look like the very rear of the frame is poorly finished, which it's not.

CaracalCFrame.jpg

There's also a Caracal Subcompact heading this way. The Caracal reps at Shot Show 2012 said it should start shipping toward the end of summer or early fall. Dimensions are supposedly 6.3" length, 4.4" height, weight 23 oz. The UAE Caracal website has it up saying it's coming as well. Images follow.

CaracalSC.jpg

CaracalSC3.jpg

I can't wait to get a hold of a Caracal SC, hopefully I can be towards the top of the list.

I've been in contact with Caracal lately and they have requested a couple of holster samples that they will be offering to customers....:cool:

Going to send them one of my leather OWB holsters and a kydex OWB too.

IMG_0135.jpg

One like this too:

IMG_0053.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top