JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went today to buy an AR lower to start building myself my first AR. The problem is I want to build an AR pistol. I got told by the guy at Brightwater that he cannot sell me a lower if I am going to make a pistol because all of their lowers are registered as rifles. He says all dealers who follow the rules will tell me the same thing.

How does a person go about building a pistol version of an AR if all the dealers have to register them when they receive them? I doubt they want to register any of their lowers as pistols since that would limit their appeal to buyers.

When I bought my complete Noveske upper, it came with a free blemish stripped lower (a deal they had in '09). When I went to pick it up at the FFL, I was asked if I wanted to do the transfer as a rifle or pistol. I completed the transfer and OSP background check as a rifle but it was made clear to me that it was my choice.
Perhaps you should purchase directly from a manufacturer???

Sent from Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk

I went today to buy an AR lower to start building myself my first AR. The problem is I want to build an AR pistol. I got told by the guy at Brightwater that he cannot sell me a lower if I am going to make a pistol because all of their lowers are registered as rifles. He says all dealers who follow the rules will tell me the same thing.

How does a person go about building a pistol version of an AR if all the dealers have to register them when they receive them? I doubt they want to register any of their lowers as pistols since that would limit their appeal to buyers.

The guy that told you that is a complete idiot.

Seems like I just got fed a load of crap. I told him at the time that what he was telling me did not seem right to me. The last few times I have been in Brightwater it has been new faces and I have not really been feeling the vibe there these days. I wanted to buy the lower from them even though it was more expensive there but they did not want to sell it to me. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Seems like I just got fed a load of crap. I told him at the time that what he was telling me did not seem right to me. The last few times I have been in Brightwater it has been new faces and I have not really been feeling the vibe there these days. I wanted to buy the lower from them even though it was more expensive there but they did not want to sell it to me. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Did you talk to the owner? He is a good guy.

I feel good now, I built a pistol AR from a receiver that I had. On biggy, is never place a stock on it, or it becomes a SBR class II thing. Later I decided, it was not anything I really liked. I was good to build one and find out. Just did not work for me as a firearm. Sold the assy less the receiver and it became a 6.8 varminter.

That's an interesting story.

But was the lower already had butter tube and stock installed? In that case, they were right. If it was complete bare lower or with trigger kit, then bad business. ;)

I was in there a few days ago and they had 2 that were without any stock or PG, but that doesn't mean they hadn't already been built as a rifle, they looked used. But I can't be sure I couldn't get close enough to get a good look, the place was packed. There was about 5 of us in there.:s0114: Small place.:s0155:

If it is a virgin lower it can be sold as an "any other weapon" correct? They don't register them as either when they buy them.Or if they do they ain't real bright.

Maybe a different store is in order?

I am on vacation and my employee did nothing wrong. When I bought the shop let's just say there were some problems with the inventory and the atf was there the entire time and basically made rulings as needed... the genius that owned the shop before be logged in 32 lowers as rifles... not as receivers... there was no explanation as to why he did this, but towards the end there wasn't much explanation for a lot of things he did... When I went over this with my atf agent she said she would advise me selling them as just that; to people who planned on building rifles. I would prefer not to air all of the previous owners dirty laundry on here, so if anyone has any further questions please contact me directly. Every lower I have in the shop that is not built by superior arms you can build into whatever you want... and once those are gone... well, then its business as usual. As far as "not feeling the vibe" playboy, please let me know the problem... since I got rid of the smoke, cleaned the store, expanded my product line, and have an able bodied employee that is willing to help people.... all I have gotten is complements. If there are any issues you're having please call me or pm me... if anyone would like to know more about why the atf made this decision please contact me.

Nick

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads