Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

...Can't sell me a stripped lower to build a pistol.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jul 11, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I went today to buy an AR lower to start building myself my first AR. The problem is I want to build an AR pistol. I got told by the guy at Brightwater that he cannot sell me a lower if I am going to make a pistol because all of their lowers are registered as rifles. He says all dealers who follow the rules will tell me the same thing.

How does a person go about building a pistol version of an AR if all the dealers have to register them when they receive them? I doubt they want to register any of their lowers as pistols since that would limit their appeal to buyers.

2. SnackCracker

SnackCracker Lake oswego, OR Member

When I bought my complete Noveske upper, it came with a free blemish stripped lower (a deal they had in '09). When I went to pick it up at the FFL, I was asked if I wanted to do the transfer as a rifle or pistol. I completed the transfer and OSP background check as a rifle but it was made clear to me that it was my choice.
    Perhaps you should purchase directly from a manufacturer???

Sent from Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk

3. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Must be a WA thing... maybe????

4. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

Done.

Garg and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

The guy that told you that is a complete idiot.

6. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Nope just an 1 D 10 T thing, as we used to say back in my IT days.

7. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

An AR lower can be built into a pistol. No problemo.

Lowers are registered as a "Receiver", and transferred on the 4473 as "other"

Maybe his lowers had a butt-stock on them at some point. Then it would not be possible.

8. PlayboyPenguin

Seems like I just got fed a load of crap. I told him at the time that what he was telling me did not seem right to me. The last few times I have been in Brightwater it has been new faces and I have not really been feeling the vibe there these days. I wanted to buy the lower from them even though it was more expensive there but they did not want to sell it to me. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

9. coctailer

Did you talk to the owner? He is a good guy.

10. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

I feel good now, I built a pistol AR from a receiver that I had. On biggy, is never place a stock on it, or it becomes a SBR class II thing. Later I decided, it was not anything I really liked. I was good to build one and find out. Just did not work for me as a firearm. Sold the assy less the receiver and it became a 6.8 varminter.

11. PlayboyPenguin

He hasn't been there the last few times I was there.

12. coctailer

I would call and find out the next time he will be there.

He might want to know this info.

I think the owner is a nice, honest guy. I would hate to have his employees give his business a bad rep.

13. PlayboyPenguin

I know he occasionally reads the review section on here. Maybe I should post this experience there.

14. coctailer

You may want to mention which employee gave you that info........so he knows.

15. PlayboyPenguin

Great...now I have to remember names. I can barely remember my kid's names. You know...what's-his-face and the short one. :)

16. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

That's an interesting story.

But was the lower already had butter tube and stock installed? In that case, they were right. If it was complete bare lower or with trigger kit, then bad business. ;)

17. Fumes

Fumes Wa. Active Member

I was in there a few days ago and they had 2 that were without any stock or PG, but that doesn't mean they hadn't already been built as a rifle, they looked used. But I can't be sure I couldn't get close enough to get a good look, the place was packed. There was about 5 of us in there.:laugh: Small place.:thumbup:

18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

If it is a virgin lower it can be sold as an "any other weapon" correct? They don't register them as either when they buy them.Or if they do they ain't real bright.

Maybe a different store is in order?

19. coctailer

Any Other Weapon is an NFA item.

Receivers are sold as "Receivers"

20. garripputo

garripputo vancouver, wa Member

I am on vacation and my employee did nothing wrong. When I bought the shop let's just say there were some problems with the inventory and the atf was there the entire time and basically made rulings as needed... the genius that owned the shop before be logged in 32 lowers as rifles... not as receivers... there was no explanation as to why he did this, but towards the end there wasn't much explanation for a lot of things he did... When I went over this with my atf agent she said she would advise me selling them as just that; to people who planned on building rifles. I would prefer not to air all of the previous owners dirty laundry on here, so if anyone has any further questions please contact me directly. Every lower I have in the shop that is not built by superior arms you can build into whatever you want... and once those are gone... well, then its business as usual. As far as "not feeling the vibe" playboy, please let me know the problem... since I got rid of the smoke, cleaned the store, expanded my product line, and have an able bodied employee that is willing to help people.... all I have gotten is complements. If there are any issues you're having please call me or pm me... if anyone would like to know more about why the atf made this decision please contact me.

Nick

Gunner69, PDXSparky, mjbskwim and 5 others like this.