Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can you tell a real gun from a fake?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Monica Cowles, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Monica Cowles

Monica Cowles Grays Harbor, Washington Member, NRA (Life) USCCA, ACLDN, SAF (Life) Staff Member Silver Supporter

boogerhook and BoonDocks36 like this.
  2. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

The best part of all that? This quote:

“Look at that thing,” Loomis said. “I couldn’t find a real Colt in the property room. But that thing looks and feels like a real gun. If you had it in your hand, you wouldn’t know the difference.
    Bull + bubblegum, Loomis :rolleyes:

3. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

I got all the right answers, but I probably couldn't on the street under pressure.

boogerhook and Monica Cowles like this.
  4. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I'd fail on the street too.

Monica Cowles likes this.
  5. shootnscoot

shootnscoot Wa Well-Known Member

My brother used to own a paintball/airsoft store. The airsoft guns are all metal and literally feel identical to their real counterparts, down to charging handles that pull back and a bolt carrier group that moves a bit on the M4 clone I picked up. Same goes for all the handguns I tried, moving slides, same weight etc. There is no way to tell the difference, short of close inspection.

6. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

On the street most of us would never be close enough, or willing to risk our lives trying to determine real or fake.:eek:
    Making realistic toy guns that are bright yellow or orange is pointless as all the owner needs is a .99 can of black spray paint to make it seem "real" again.

Brutus57, Monica Cowles and OLDNEWBIE like this.
  7. GUNARCHER

GUNARCHER Well-Known Member

And of course, bright yellow or orange paint to camouflage a real gun as a toy

8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

You did great. I missed 4 and thought I did about as well as I could. As the saying goes, you could put a gun to my head and I wouldn't do any better.

9. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

under close inspection you can tell by the magazines, the well and barrel (6mm, or 4.5 respectively), but not from 5 yards away in the hands of someone pointing it... I use several of them for practice because they are almost identical to their original.

10. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

Sorry but if someone pulls a gun on me I really don't care if it's real or fake because I'm going to draw and fire IF I feel my life (or my wife's) is in danger... Done, gone, history and I don't care if you're white, brown, yellow black or green. End of story

BDA.45 and Monica Cowles like this.
  11. powermad

powermad Portland Active Member

All to easy to just drop it next to someone and say they pointed it at me.
    Easy to get and virtually impossible to trace.

I missed two, and I was looking pretty hard, the mag is a dead giveaway but with someone holding it it would cover that up. I'm with most here, point any of those at me and there is a pretty good chance you won't do that again.

boogerhook likes this.
  12. decklin

decklin WA Well-Known Member

Got a kid that lives across the street. They play airsoft. Apparently their parents don't understand the concept of a rifle case.
    I'm constantly seeing them walking up and down the street with rifles that appear to be identical to what I have in the safe.
    I've considered bringing my ar15 to the parents for a little class in not being a moron of a parent.

Monica Cowles likes this.
  13. JRH Oregon

JRH Oregon Oregon Active Member

I missed one, slide 7. Looks pretty real.

14. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

I have an AR15 airsoft and it actually feels more like a real gun than my S&W 15-22.

15. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Visually, some airsoft toys look pretty darn close. Perhaps the giveaway could be the 6mm barrel, but with as many cheapy .22 clones (1911, 92FS..etc) there are these days one pointed at my face would probably get the same reaction.. Perhaps if it had other physical identifiers, orange tip..etc.

However picking one up or seeing one in a non violent stress inducing light.. Yes I could easily tell a fake from a real firearm. Most guys here could Im sure.
    Even non firing replicas have giveaways.

The only folks I know that wouldnt know the difference even if they got to take a look up close are non firearm people, or sheep as I like to call them.

decklin likes this.