JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys
I just got my first 1911 and it has quickly became my favorite pistol.
With the cost of 45acp I will need to get back into reloading.
I did some reloading back in the mid 80's and this is the I used.
So I would like to step up to a Dillon 550b.
It is time for this press to find a new home.
Can you tell me what model press this is and what the value is.
Also can I use the dies (.357} in a Dillon.
Any info you can give me would be great.
Charger

Also 550b vs 650 other than being faster is their any other real advantages.
And I believe the 550b has a 4 station head and the 650 has a 5 station.
What is the extra station for.

Thanks for the info.
I will keep the dies and scale.
So if anyone wants to make an offer.
Charger

reloading.jpg

It's an old lyman turret press, great presses I've loaded tons of match .308 ammo on them over the years (mine was an RCBS) it's probably worth $50-100, the powder dispenser you have looks like a lyman version of the "little dandy" powder measure, so it's not user settable for powder throw, which makes it not very valuable (~$20). No matter what you're doing you're going to need to keep the scale for setting up your dillon. Otherwise I would say the scale is $20-40 on it's own.

the powder measure is a Lyman's 55. very accurate,and very desirable They go for about 50 dollars on the used market.They come with a large and small powder drop tube,the inner diameter is the difference.
the dies look like std. threads and should work in a dillon just fine.Some of the very 1st Lyman's used/had odd sized dies.
I"m not familiar enough to know the model of the press,but It should easliy be worth 50.00,possibly more.
My 82 year old neighbor can for sure turn out more ammo in a give time with his 650 than I can with my 550,but he loads for 5 people and wants that kind of output. I can put out all the ammo I need on my 550b,and have for many years.Going slow and careful a person can easily do 300 rounds an hour,more as you gain confidence and 'learn' the machine.

Some people like to use a 'powder cop'die,and the extra spot on the 650 comes in handy for that.

If I needed a second press,it would be another 550b,the 650 is just too spendy for my needs. ymmv

When I first considered a progressive press (mid-70's?), there was Dillon with a 4-station and a couple of others that were way over $1000 (Star, etc.). I wanted 5-stations. At that time, there were NO powder-through expander powder measures, so I wanted size, expand, powder charge, seat, and crimp.
Today, I still have the same opinion. I now set-up size, expand and charge, RCBS Lock-Out, seat, and crimp
Personally, I would not spend that much money for four stations and manual indexing. I would want auto-indexing.
If you don't need a case collator/feeder, look at Hornady L-N-L.
If you need case collator/feeder, get the 650.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top