JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Good question, it comes up from time to time :)

The main reason is because it goes against the purpose of Northwest Firearms and our effort to bring people together for meaningful pro-gun work (in real life, offline). A dislike button adds negativity, encourages division among us (as if there isn't enough), and adds nothing to the conversation. People looking to have an honest discussion are more than welcome to do so; people looking to simply argue their point are better off elsewhere.

Here are a couple quotes from the last time the subject came up.

A "dis-like button" is just kibble...for trolls.:s0097:

A well presented rebuttal reply is a better way to contribute to a topic.
If articulate, reasoned, concise and respectful it may even change minds.
At the very least, it gets a possibly valid counter-opinion on the record.

The other problem with a dislike button is that people can potentially gang up on someone and dislike everything they say - perhaps skewing the perception of that member for others that may not know them. I agree a dislike button, while it would be good once in a while, stands a chance of being abused or misused. And, like you, I prefer to talk with folks if I don't agree with them or they don't agree with me - I'm not afraid of debate or even strongly worded discussions - I think that kind of interaction is better for us.

To date, I have never put a person on ignore. There are people I may not particularly enjoy the opinions of, but I'm a big boy and I can handle other viewpoints without getting seriously butt hurt to the point that I can't hear them.

I'm for as much opportunity for discussion as possible, and, personally, I appreciate more leeway in the forum rules to allow for a little adult discussion from time to time, even outside the bubblegum. I am of the opinion that adults should be able to handle adult discussions, and if you don't like the discussion, stay off that thread. Pretty simple really.

The dislike feature spawns hate.

Im not talkig about "safe space" BS.
I like the fact that if you dislike someones post you can call them out (respectfully) like man.

The dislike feature for online media was invented by weak limp wristed pussified geeks who like to bubblegum and moan about bubblegum with total anonymity and no repercussions.

Personally I think its part of whats wrong with the world. Negativity just to be negative.. And social media fans those flames.. No accountability for ones actions makes for a lot of internet tough guys.

Look at youtube.. For no reason what so ever when a new video gets posted (by big channels), within the first five minutes it gets 1-5 thumbs down and the videos happen to be 10-20 mins long the math doesnt compute. So there are literal trolls out there that just do it to be little bubblegums.. So that lets you know people like to hate just to hate. Its bullbubblegum.

Upvote 0
I agree with @Joe Link in that this is not only an online forum, but it's a tangible community of people who may know each other personally, and who often meet in person. If we disagree on something, and can't frame our opinion in a way that's respectful, then an anonymous dislike button would only serve to breed contempt. Would YOU want your name attached to every dislike? It would affect all of your future interactions.

Now what I could go for is a "You must be crazy" button in the classifieds. Mostly because voicing concern over the quality, or price of an item is considered harassment. Maybe a similar pull down menu that armslist has?

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads