JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The case design is not different, the chamber spec are different. The difference in bullets is whether you use the Merrican method of description or the NATO metric system.

Probably not adding any thing but:
Bullets and cases the same.
Bullet diameter: jacketed 0.222-0.225" can be used, but 0.224" is normal and recommended. Assuming you won't be using cast lead bullets.
Any loading manual will show the same bullets for both.
Are you thinking about reloading? You will not find any 0.224" bullets labeled either .223 or 5.56, as they are used for other cartridges also.

I'll gladly take all of your 5.56 brass since you can't reload them with .223/.224 specs.

:D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

To gunsandammohunting, buy yourself a few good relaoding manuals, starting with the Lyman manual. They will help you figure this kind of stuff out.

the chamber in a 556 has more freebore length and leade before the rifling starts VS 223 Rem to cope with the higher pressure of 556 NATO ammunition.

Oh Lord.... Now look what you did....
Let me fix that for you: the throat, or leads, is what is different between the two.

Ta-da!!
The pressures are different, on paper, in this country only!
The minute the military started buying the mouse gun they found the original performance numbers were a lie. At that time Remington had already began the SAAMI submission paperwork. Which isn't surprising given their track record, Remington can screw-up a wet dream...
In any case only in this country, did the original military military pressure get clung to like a fat kid holding a Snickers.

The rest of the world who adheres to CIP standards, which are more stringent than SAAMI, raised the 223 pressures to the very same as the 5.56 NATO. Because they understand they are the same cartridge. The chamber specs do differ, and SAAMI says the pressures are different; but the chamber specs are not different due to pressures. That is due to the use of sabot loading and military ordnance.

well thanks......don't need corrected though as what I said is fact......I used to make barrels.
Dont know or care about the rest of the world but 556 nato has more pressure than 223 rem.
They took the 223 rem and opened up the throat/freebore/leade , whatever you like to call the area after the shoulder and before the lands , to cope with the higher pressure the 556 was producing. Its the reason they say don't make a habit of shooting 556 in a 223 chamber . 223 in a 556 is fine but accuracy suffers

well thanks......don't need corrected though as what I said is fact......I used to make barrels.
Dont know or care about the rest of the world but 556 nato has more pressure than 223 rem.
True dat.
Plenty of ejection issues all over the Interwebz due to low pressure .223 ammo in ARs set up for normal, high pressure 5.56 rounds.

They took the 223 rem and opened up the throat/freebore/leade , whatever you like to call the area after the shoulder and before the lands , to cope with the higher pressure the 556 was producing. Its the reason they say don't make a habit of shooting 556 in a 223 chamber . 223 in a 556 is fine but accuracy suffers
Good answer.

In many countries around the world it is illegal for a civilian to buy/own military ammo.
So no 5.56 for them.....only .223 and they can jazz it any way they see fit as long as the headstamp says .223.

I like Posts 2, 4, 9, 10.

Saami .223" chambers are like NATO 5.56 mm chambers EXCEPT
5.56 mm chamber neck length (Leade, Throat) is longer than .223"

If a .223" chamber receives a cartridge with a longer neck,
the chamber neck wall squeezes the cartridge neck wall against the bullet.
"the crimp gets crimped"
"Vase neck is between a Rock and a hard place"

When ignited, powder gasses expand,
but the bullet can't move down the barrel.
Something has to give, Kaboom.

"They" didn't lengthen the throat due to pressures, they did it due to increasing bullet lengths(tracers, sabots, etc). "They" just kept signing exemption orders that allowed the pressure increases.
And whether or not you care about the rest of the world everywhere else shoots NATO pressure in there 223 Remington's.

http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw.html

Yes, and nothing special!

I would recommend this manual! It has everything in it you will most likely ever want to know about reloading!

sierra.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads