JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Walking Dead has gone out of its way to be extra exciting this year with a non-stop array of gunfights and explosions, starting in the season 8 premiere and continuing week to week, living up to the "All Out War" name of this current comic storyline.

This week produced the best episode of the season to date, and honestly, probably one of the best episodes in the past year or two, a story that focused on the slow breakdown of Ezekiel after he survives a Savior ambush. It was a fantastic episode and I highly recommend you watch it even if you've been disappointed with the show as of late.

But there were other aspects of the episode that were…less good. Specifically, this episode highlighted something that the show has struggled with for years, but last night it actively made some would-be badass scenes worse.

I'm talking about how The Walking Dead seems to have very little idea how guns actually work.

Now, I'm no gun person. While I've shot some at the range, I don't own any nor possess an encyclopedic knowledge of firearms.

Continue Reading: Can Someone Please Explain To 'The Walking Dead' How Guns Work?

It is odd in TEOTWAWKI presented they always seem to have an unlimited supply of ammo as the author eluded to. That one has always bugged me...and the fact they don't spend more time sniping the bubblegum out of their adversaries rather than gettin' all up in they grilles

That Browning .50 Caliber scene last episode was quite ridiculous. Also, despite all the gun play, everybody still has good hearing. Odd, that.

The zombie has jumped the shark and the flapjack is on the plate.
its gotten tremendously ridiculous, especially the gunplay

It's all just silly. I still watch it though :confused:

So these zombies are attracted to noise. You set up a contraption that makes noise to draw them in and they fall into a crusher. Crush the bodies haul off the waste and you have a nice Zombie suppression system. When things start to get crazy outside the compound you jump in your

836K%20Machine_SU_450x450.jpg

And go for a spin around the block. Wash her down and shes ready for her next outing.

Real life in can tell you, that big azz M-2 will blow your ear drums out bloody ( believe me, I know first hand) and even small arms fighting up close will leave you hard of hearing for life, and worse is the constant ringing of the ears! I quit watching walking dead after all the fake, no clue gun stuff became too much for me to handle!
Besides, you don' just walk down the street and trip over a bunch of usable ammo that you have weapons for! :(

I have not watched TV in over 25 years. But ... I do have a home computer which is probably worserer. Now awaiting with baited death er breath for the re guns or re runs of all these Zombie episodes. Sounds cool to me! :)

"Did you bring ALL the reload sticks?" "Yes!". "OH GAWD! ... it is not going to be enough!" "AUUGHHHHH!" :)

So on the show about zombies, its the gunplay that is ridiculous?o_O

That's funny, and not to be the nerd that explains why you can't have a Mage that is also a King with fireballs and demon-knowledge in Dungeons and Dragons (by the way, I've never actually played it so for all I know you can have all those things), but I think you miss the point.

There is a limit to the quantity of outlandish premises I will accept in order to be entertained. In the case of TWD (The Walking Dead), I will, for the purposes of entertainment, accept the premise that a zombie apocalypse has occurred. I do this because that one premise allows for a lot of interesting story arcs and possibilities.

But the (unwritten) agreement we make with TWD in accepting the conceptual premise of a zombie apocalypse is that it must happen in a world just like ours in every other way. That is, the physical nature of things does not radically change: These characters are meant to exist in a world that operates exactly like this one, except for the presence of zombies.

So it really stands out when the operation of firearms is markedly different from the manner in which we are all familiar, like a Browning .50 caliber machine gun shooting at a jeep only 50 feet away and not turning it and the driver into Swiss cheese, or the widespread use of fully auto rifles with apparent unlimited ammunition, or no consequences for the lack of ear protection, or nobody carrying extra bags full of ammo for those times (pretty much always) when they spray and pray.

For the story to maintain its "authenticity" it must at least attempt to adhere to the nature of things in our world. When it doesn't, the magic of the story is lost and we start to lose interest and respect for the story.

This is why I hate the Harry Potter books and movies, and most super-hero movies: There are so many stupid things I'm asked to accept for the story to make sense.

That's all I have to say about that...

Nerd, out.

Last Edited:
That's funny, and not to be the nerd that explains why you can't have a Mage that is also a King with fireballs and demon-knowledge in Dungeons and Dragons (by the way, I've never actually played it so for all I know you can have all those things), but I think you miss the point.

There is a limit to the quantity of outlandish premises I will accept in order to be entertained. In the case of TWD (The Walking Dead), I will, for the purposes of entertainment, accept the premise that a zombie apocalypse has occurred. I do this because that one premise allows for a lot of interesting story arcs and possibilities.

But the (unwritten) agreement we make with TWD in accepting the conceptual premise of a zombie apocalypse is that it must happen in a world just like ours in every other way. That is, the physical nature of things does not radically change: These characters are meant to exist in a world that operates exactly like this one, except for the presence of zombies.

So it really stands out when the operation of firearms is markedly different from the manner in which we are all familiar, like a Browning .50 caliber machine gun shooting at a jeep only 50 feet away and not turning it and the driver into Swiss cheese, or the widespread use of fully auto rifles with apparent unlimited ammunition, or no consequences for the lack of ear protection, or nobody carrying extra bags full of ammo for those times (pretty much always) when they spray and pray.

For the story to maintain its "authenticity" it must at least attempt to adhere to the nature of things in our world. When it doesn't, the magic of the story is lost and we start to lose interest and respect for the story.

This is why I hate the Harry Potter books and movies, and most super-hero movies: There are so many stupid things I'm asked to accept for the story to make sense.

That's all I have to say about that...

Nerd, out.
What? Are you a writer or something?

Lately it has been bugging me how when an AR runs dry it goes click, click, click, like it has a double action trigger. I binge watched season 2 of Stranger Things and saw the same thing.

The weird thing is, all those guns are provided by people whose job is to maintain, store, and supply them as needed. Presumably these people have at least rudimentary knowledge. You would think they would at least consult with them on the gunplay.

I thought the sheet metal roofing for armor on the cars was sheer genius:p. Those skate boarding pads or whatever they are really are a great idea too. How bout the time Negan picks up a spent case and says he knows somebody made that bullet. He can tell by the crimp:rolleyes: Hey, its good for laughs kinda like old horror flicks:D.
Guy has an AK in hand with a double bandolier of some kinda o6 lenght hunting bullets.
They got the 50's but didn't think to grab a tank?o_O

I noticed on the last episode that the gunfire is CGI. One guy was shooting what looked to be a M1A....full auto of course...with sound and muzzle flash....but the action never cycled and no brass ejected.

E

I noticed on the last episode that the gunfire is CGI. One guy was shooting what looked to be a M1A....full auto of course...with sound and muzzle flash....but the action never cycled and no brass ejected.

E
I've noticed that some (a lot) of newer and pretty high-dollar movies of late use nothing but CGI gun effects.. especially if China has a money stake in the film.. which is getting much more common.

OK, for all the easily amused, and entertainment industry tech-support people who apparently have no clue how guns work....

In your next pre-production meeting take turns looking into the small end with the hole and smile, then wait for the flash.... next person to the left, pick up the gun and repeat what the person on the right did until everyone has had a turn.... that's all.

:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR