JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a series about dead people, walking around, attacking living people. I think my concern about realism ended right at the shows very concept.

As for the guns, yeah, it's bad. It appears every rifle, once the virus hits suddenly becomes full auto, no matter the rifle. Ammo is never-ending, though they do talk about having to make more. They hold long, drawn-out gun battles and never do seem to run low on ammo - I'm guessing that's because so many people have died, they're constantly finding ammo hoards from people like us ;)

I still enjoy the show. I enjoy it for the fun, I don't take it seriously. Honestly, if I were concerned about realism with guns, I'd have to ignore most movies and TV shows out there.

It's a series about dead people, walking around, attacking living people. I think my concern about realism ended right at the shows very concept.

As for the guns, yeah, it's bad. It appears every rifle, once the virus hits suddenly becomes full auto, no matter the rifle. Ammo is never-ending, though they do talk about having to make more. They hold long, drawn-out gun battles and never do seem to run low on ammo - I'm guessing that's because so many people have died, they're constantly finding ammo hoards from people like us ;)

I still enjoy the show. I enjoy it for the fun, I don't take it seriously. Honestly, if I were concerned about realism with guns, I'd have to ignore most movies and TV shows out there.

"Omega Man" fans demand realism......:D

I love the show, but am VERY unhappy with the gun play. There was a gun battle in one of the last episodes and they were spraying thousands of rounds back and forth, all in full-auto.

1) Where the heck is all this ammo coming from, years after collapse?
2) Why would they not be semi-auto mode with aimed shots?!?
3) Where the heck did all of these full-auto guns come from (I'm echoing @etrain16's point)?!?

I think this makes people think that there are machine guns all over the place, or even that all AR's are actually full-auto.

I stopped watching after the first season.

One of the more stupid precepts (IMO) early on was that there were few humans, mostly zombies, they were in the 'deep south' and they had problems finding guns and ammo. They should have been awash in guns and ammo, but it was like the guns were a rare thing to be treasured if they could find them at all.

Maybe it is accidentally on purpose. Hollywood (as a generic term for media content companies) is quite anti-gun. This can have several consequences both unintended and intended:

1) Won't hire competent firearm experts out of prejudice towards anyone expert in firearms, and
2) The portrayal of firearms as endless bullet hoses which are easy to use and pose no consequences to the shooter, helps reinforce public fear of them in general (although the notion of a car withstanding a .50 cal barrage is just moronic: see #1).

Not a new phenom... The wife and I have been commenting on tv/movie/book gun mistakes for 40yrs (as long as we have been together).

Movies generally hire good tech consultants, directors ignore them.

Writers/producers/directors write for the impact/drama/action rather than trying to please analytical types in the audience. They either assume most people are as gun ignorant as they themselves are, or they assume it's no big deal in the scheme of storydom. Complaints, forgeddaboudit.

Movies/tv/novels are a type of fantasyland yes? I like a realistic story as well as my brother analyst/techies, but some people, my old boss, could destroy my enjoyment of any movie.

Radio comms or computer mistakes are disturbing too. Who can tell me where the transmitter squelch switch is on a transceiver? I was just reading a Dale Brown book where the leader of the tactical assault team answers a signal by pushing his squelch switch twice.

I enjoy it whenever a show I'm watching attempts to portray something in my area of expertise (graphic design, printing, illustration art, etc.) because they usually get something wrong in hilarious ways.

I was just watching Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II this weekend, and was amused to see Sigourney Weaver's character go from a symphony musician in the first movie, to a painting restoration artist in the second movie. That's quite a career switch, one that would take quite a few years of training at the very least.

Was that good? I still haven't watched it. I read the original short story that they based I am legend on and it was riveting. I couldn't get enough of it. Loved the ending. Why do they always screw up the movie?
Omega Man is a classic. Saw it a couple weeks ago and was laughing hysterically at the music soundtrack.

Maybe it is accidentally on purpose. Hollywood (as a generic term for media content companies) is quite anti-gun.

It doesn't seem to just be the visual/Hollywood media. I am a gun user, not an expert by any means, but I have found major gun mistakes in mystery novels. Like an unregistered (registration never checked) sawed off shotgun that FBI and Local LEO just leave in the empty house of the deceased.

Not a new phenom... The wife and I have been commenting on tv/movie/book gun mistakes for 40yrs (as long as we have been together).

Movies generally hire good tech consultants, directors ignore them.

Radio comms or computer mistakes are disturbing too. Who can tell me where the transmitter squelch switch is on a transceiver? I was just reading a Dale Brown book where the leader of the tactical assault team answers a signal by pushing his squelch switch twice.

:s0077: Oh, that would bug me too. Then again I also remember my friend being disturbed because I kept laughing during the movie Volcano. I couldn't get past the experts not wearing dust masks when they were outside in all that ash.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top