JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or, should I have a gunsmith do it? My Remmy R1 Enhanced has the sloppiest trigger I've ever encountered on a 1911! I did some research and found this is not uncommon as Remington possibly put the same small trigger on all their R1's to get them on the market. Anyway, in that search I found that this EGW trigger is perfect for taking out that gap between the top of trigger and housing. Can I just disassemble the R1 and install this trigger without replacing any other parts? I'm not a gunsmith and outside of changing out grip bushings/screws, have done no work on 1911's. What say you handy folks?

thumbnail_20240221_105602.jpg
thumbnail_20240221_105633.jpg

WTH?
😬

Seems to me, "Remmy" ought to fix that for you, yesterday!
I thought about this but, I didn't buy it new and by the time I pay shipping/transfer fees, it may not be the best solution. There's a somewhat local gunsmith I've used in the past and am very happy with his work but, he is out 'til next month and I don't know his current turn around time. I'd like to not have to wait half a year just to replace a trigger.

I thought about this but, I didn't buy it new and by the time I pay shipping/transfer fees, it may not be the best solution. There's a somewhat local gunsmith I've used in the past and am very happy with his work but, he is out 'til next month and I don't know his current turn around time. I'd like to not have to wait half a year just to replace a trigger.
Honestly, if you're going to do it, do it right. Ship her off to one of the top 1911 Smiths and walk away slow. Or sell it and spend the additional money getting into a DW.

What say you handy folks?
Well, as a 1911 owner you SHOULD know how to completely disassemble (and reassemble) it however this depends on your own personal mechanical skills and abilities.

Therefore, this will be a good opportunity for you to learn how to do this and replace the trigger at the same time.

Do some research on 1911 disassembly such as tutorials with pictures as opposed to videos to start out. They are NOT difficult to work on but there are sequences and procedures to disassemble (and reassemble) them properly.

Perhaps some members can suggest some good references for you.

'Home' gunsmithing is 'old hat' for me - not only on 1911s but many others but YMMV.

Well, as a 1911 owner you SHOULD know how to completely disassemble (and reassemble) it however this depends on your own personal mechanical skills and abilities.

Therefore, this will be a good opportunity for you to learn how to do this and replace the trigger at the same time.

Do some research on 1911 disassembly such as tutorials with pictures as opposed to videos to start out. They are NOT difficult to work on but there are sequences and procedures to disassemble (and reassemble) them properly.

'Home' gunsmithing is 'old hat' for me - not only on 1911s but many others but YMMV.
I can field strip and do all the basics but, have never taken one down to the point of removing FCG and such. Probably can do it but, wasn't sure on the fitting of the new trigger. I.E. if I screw up the trigger I'm not out much but, screwing up the frame is a whole different ball game. Guess I'm curious if this can be done without modification to the frame?

I can field strip and do all the basics but, have never taken one down to the point of removing FCG and such. Probably can do it but, wasn't sure on the fitting of the new trigger. I.E. if I screw up the trigger I'm not out much but, screwing up the frame is a whole different ball game. Guess I'm curious if this can be done without modification to the frame?
fit the trigger to the frame, not the other way around.

If the trigger is oversized, you may have to remove a bit of material from the top and/or bottom to get it to fit. this can be as simple as a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface, slowly running the trigger shoe over the paper to remove small bits of material at a time. It's not hard, but can take some touch.

Just did a quick search for images on R1's, looked at the trigger fit...seems they're all over the board...ugh.

For best possible fit, get an oversized trigger. Then you'll have to spend the time, starting with a fine file, then fine emery cloth, then a stone to take down the overall height slowly to get a good fit...top to bottom.

Most of the time a trigger install doesn't require changing out any other parts, but there may be some disconnect and/or sear spring adjustment.

If you're not sure about doing it...come over and we'll go over the 1911 design, total strip and I'll coach you through the trigger install.

Just did a quick search for images on R1's, looked at the trigger fit...seems they're all over the board...ugh.

For best possible fit, get an oversized trigger. Then you'll have to spend the time, starting with a fine file, then fine emery cloth, then a stone to take down the overall height slowly to get a good fit...top to bottom.

Most of the time a trigger install doesn't require changing out any other parts, but there may be some disconnect and/or sear spring adjustment.

If you're not sure about doing it...come over and we'll go over the 1911 design, total strip and I'll coach you through the trigger install.
Thank you, greatly appreciate the info! If I lived close to you, I'd definitely head over. :s0155:

This ☝☝

I dont know you, but I still say you got this.

Read, watch videos, download or purchase exploded views, etc...

Take your time, trust yourself and learn a lifelong skill.

20240221_124527.jpg

Kind of glad I started pulling guns apart before there was a way to ask strangers if I should :s0112:

If it's just the trigger and you are comfortable stripping a 1911 down to the last pin, I say go for it! If it is also the sear and hammer, probably not.

Kind of glad I started pulling guns apart before there was a way to ask strangers if I should :s0112:

If it's just the trigger and you are comfortable stripping a 1911 down to the last pin, I say go for it! If it is also the sear and hammer, probably not.
Did I ever tell you about the Colt 1903 I exploded all over my garage :(

Seems to review well across multiple sites. For $15 if it gets through one job and realize you want something a little nicer your still money ahead from using an outside smith.
Thanks! That brand name was suggested to me so, think I may give them a try. Can have delivery by tomorrow from Skamazon.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews