JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Disassembly"

thumbnail_IMG_1115.jpg

All apart and small items in container so as not to pull a Houdini!

thumbnail_IMG_1116.jpg

I had to take a little off the top and bottom but, got her in. Started the Reassembly but, I had to stop for frustration reasons. I don't know what I'm doing wrong because the stupid grip safety and thumb safety will not go back in. I believe I am doing as video instructs but, the Jackass won't behave! :mad:

thumbnail_IMG_1118.jpg

Are you following these?

Disassembly"

View attachment 1830055

View attachment 1830056

I had to take a little off the top and bottom but, got her in. Started the Reassembly but, I had to stop for frustration reasons. I don't know what I'm doing wrong because the stupid grip safety and thumb safety will not go back in. I believe I am doing as video instructs but, the Jackass won't behave! :mad:

View attachment 1830061
If I remember right you might have to hold the frame grip up to get the little parts to stay put, but it's been a long time since I worked on 1911's

Disassembly"

View attachment 1830055

View attachment 1830056

View attachment 1830061
My frustration with firearms makes me love them all the more. Not unlike my wife and kids in that sense... 🤔.

Glad to see you're gettin' after it on your own!

Disassembly"

View attachment 1830055

View attachment 1830056

View attachment 1830061
Well clearly, you're using using the wrong mat.

Here.
1708887745539.png
I'm sorry. :oops: I couldn't help myself.

Disassembly"

View attachment 1830055

View attachment 1830056

View attachment 1830061
Sear spring in proper position? Looks like you are close. You can do this. The manual safety should go
in by moving it up and down while pushing in the safety lock plunger. I learned how to work on 1911's
back in the early 80's. I used Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 shop manual.
1708959374033.png

If I can do it, you can do it. Sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to get the thumb safety back in right. I sometimes struggle with getting the sear spring to stay in position while I'm fiddling with stuff it aligns with on the upper end. I've taken hammers and sears in and out many times, didn't find it a problem (except for the bit with the thumb safety). When you don't do something like this often, if you hit a roadblock sometimes it's best to give it a rest, then come back later and finish it.

Re. The Remington 1911R1, I've owned a couple of them. The first one had a lousy trigger response, it had a hitch in it. That one I had to replace the trigger and the sear in. As I recall, the trigger in that one was just a crappy aluminum cheapo. The donor trigger that I used was an old, long style early Colt 1911. Fortunately, the Colt donor sear matched up very nicely with the Rem. hammer. The second one had a pretty good trigger set-up out of the box so I left it alone.

When Remington was liquidated through bankruptcy, I believe production of the 1911R1 ended and wasn't taken up again by RemArms. Correct me if I'm wrong. Which makes any kind of warranty work not a consideration. I think toward the end of the previous iteration of Remington, the warranty policy wasn't lifetime, it was two years.

You must bear in mind that Remington was taken over by Cerberus (private equity firm) in 2007. Private equity outfits try to squeeze as much juice out of the lemon as they can. They started making the 1911R1 circa 2010. The early ones, 2010-2014 approx. were assembled at Ilion, NY. The later ones, circa 2015-up were assembled at Huntsville, AL. Supposedly, the slides and frames on the early ones were made in the US. Also supposedly, the later ones made in Huntsville had slides and frames made in S. Korea. Small parts and barrels were made by outside subcontractors.

When Remington began to make the R1, they set up a separate division of the company to make the pistol, ERPC. Which is marked on the frame. I don't know for sure, but this separation may have been done for purposes of liability shielding.

Last Edited:
I wish I could tell y'all, I whipped out my magic wand, said two AllawallaPeanutButterSandwiches and it miraculously, went together. But alas, that was not the case! I dropped the Remmy off with Jeff at Rangemasters this morning! He said he'd get her all back to working order with the new EGW trigger. 😁

I wish I could tell y'all, I whipped out my magic wand, said two AllawallaPeanutButterSandwiches and it miraculously, went together. But alas, that was not the case! I dropped the Remmy off with Jeff at Rangemasters this morning! He said he'd get her all back to working order with the new EGW trigger. 😁
And true to his word, the Remmy is home with a new trigger and I absolutely freaking love it! Jeff got a 4lb trigger pull on her and there is no rattle of any kind. 😍

thumbnail_20240416_150321.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR