Can anyone help me identify this relic?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Konajay, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Konajay

Konajay
    Eugene

FF8B5037-1FE2-4AD8-816F-0870ACA2E396.jpeg

I’ve had this stored away in my gun safe for several years now and I’m just now getting around to trying to identify who manufactured it and approximate year it was made. Can anyone identify the markings? Thanks in advance.

GOG likes this.
  2. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Looks like a Noisy Cricket

3. GOG

GOG
    State of Jefferson
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I love a good mystery so good luck. It's always fun to figure out this stuff. :)

Slobray and SKrueger like this.
  4. BillM

BillM
    Amity OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Appears you have a bit of a rare one. Armand Gavage semi auto pistol. Made in Belgium. Yours does appear to have the German stamps, and those are supposed
    to be around 1,500 wartime production. Do a search--you might be surprised what these have brought at auction!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. Konajay

Konajay
    Eugene

Thanks, sounds promising!

6. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

7. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

8. Konajay

Konajay
    Eugene

Thanks for the links!

9. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

This little pistol was made by the little Belgian company with the HUGE name - Fabrique d'Armes d Guerre de Haute Précision Armand Gavage, of Liége, Belgium. It was a VERY small company which, in the late 1930s, began rpoduction of a small 'Clement'-style pistol. The calibre wasconly in 7.65mm - .32ACP to you guys. Small-scale productionseems to have continued after the beginning of the German occupation, well into 1940, and a few have been found with waffenampt stamps [stick eagle to the cognoscenti], maybe with 603 underneath. This was most likely a local purchase only, since they do not appear in any official list of approved handguns for the 3rd Reich.

Apart from that, I can't help you. Living here in yUK means that I have no access to one, nor any likelihood of it ever happening. Sorry.

tac

GOG and SKrueger like this.
  10. Konajay

Konajay
    Eugene

I appreciate the information tac & Mikej. Gives me a good starting point. I’ll post more pics in the coming days. I took this one to document the serial number for insurance reasons a few weeks back. Got me thinking that I need to learn more about it.

11. SKrueger

SKrueger
    West Coast
    Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter 2017 Volunteer

@Medic! would be good one to ask as well.

12. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

Put in a value based on the RIA Auction site figures, since I can't find it in my copy of the Blue Book, and you won't be far out. To tell the truth there isn't a whole lot to tell, since the how it got to you and where it has been are open to conjecture. Guess you have no bring-back papers, right?

Since Belgian law requires all firearms made there to be proofed, I'd expect the usual crowned cartouche ELG over star [Épreuve Liége - the Liége proof house] a couple of letters with a crown over the top [inspection stamps any letter of the alphabet], a little stamp that looks like Nelson's Column in London [the Perron, a famous landmark, and a right-facing rampant lion over PV - definitive nitro proof for ALL firearms.

tac

13. Konajay

Konajay
    Eugene

I know nothing (using my best Sgt. Shultz imitation...)

All jokes aside, I purchased it from my father-in-law when he was liquidating his collection many years ago. I need to ask him more about it. The tag attached to it is from when he checked it on an airline.