Sporting Systems
Defensive Arts
Oregon Rifleworks
Gun Deals
Simply Triggers
DSG Arms
J&B Firearm Sales
HighLine Firearms
Low Price Guns
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Southwest Firearms
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Messages
177
Reactions
464
I think I have a spoter hunting Mauser with no serial numbers only a few marking on it. I know it’s at 8 mm and it looks like someone put a lot of work into it . If anyone knows what it is can you let me know?

3FBF0D1E-4C5A-4EC1-9E57-325756220DB3.jpeg 22AC828E-355A-42B8-9476-694F5317AC19.jpeg 41368D5A-5C33-48C5-AE3A-BBCAAE737E90.jpeg 46C9BD85-093E-4980-9407-50472F495734.jpeg C756D6CE-45D3-4E16-A471-63F0E66C2510.jpeg C1C6AD8C-26FF-45E2-ACA3-25B6774006B8.jpeg 151C8BAC-CBE7-419E-8472-CA297686E1AB.jpeg 9A4B96D2-A977-4C62-85E1-9F2780C1931A.jpeg BFDC2F3D-8CDB-4A3F-903C-FA5113DD3931.jpeg 5F280A3B-05E3-4FC7-BDE2-C161AFCF1A7C.jpeg 5D5E35DC-29DD-4230-B5E2-C031EB3A9B25.jpeg 14511134-A314-4819-B530-9F0F49EECBEE.jpeg 954730FA-894D-46FF-B974-5FBAD8C8526F.jpeg
 
Messages
3,967
Reactions
3,513
Looks like one of the many rifles brought back after ww2. Military reciever, tapered military barrel, shame the handmade claw scope mount is gone.
 
Messages
374
Reactions
525
I agree, a sporter made in the 1920s-1940s. The Mauser military barrels were stepped, not tapered, a patented feature, as were 97% of the things found on the M-98 Mauser rifle, the other 3% were patented on the older Mauser rifles of 1891, 1892, 1893, 1895, 1896. The '03 Springfield was a copy of the M-98 and the US had to pay royalties to Mauser for patent infringements.
 
Messages
374
Reactions
525
Yes I saw the step too, and it might be a turned down mil barrel, but hard to tell from a photograph if it is or not, but I'm not going to say it isn't. Need to find my book of proof marks to check the proofs on the underside of the barrel, they may narrow down when the rifle (or the barrel at least) was proofed.
 

tac

Messages
7,857
Reactions
19,833
Gottit!!! Thanks to Bagiman over on gunboards - 'from my understanding, that is the Bavarian Lion proof mark --> an Amberg made and proofed barrel. Together with 3 'crown over S' inspection marks.'

Also, DocAv in Australia adds - 'The other Mark, KR 11, is the Barrel Steel supplier]
Fr. Krupp 1911.

Shall I pass on your thanks?
 
Last Edited:
It appears to me to be a nicely done sporter , made from a military Mauser 98 Rifle , of the WWI era.
What arsenal made the rifle and who did the sporterization...?
The answer is probably lost in the sands of time.

Many 98's were spoterized like yours between the world wars...some well done...others not so nicely done.
Looks like you have a nice one.
Andy

Edited for clarity.
 
Last Edited:

JuglansRegia

Messages
757
Reactions
1,897
Had a neighbor bring by an old rifle for id a year or two ago, it was a sporterized 98 mauser stamped Danzig and 1914. The barrel was from a 1903 Springfield
 
Copeland Custom Gunworks
Project Appleseed
DSG Arms
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Southwest Firearms Forum
Sporting Systems
NW Custom Firearms
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Cerberus Training Group

Upcoming Events

22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond, OR
Rimfire Challenge July 31st @ DRRC
Eagle Creek, OR

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Top