JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was posted over on another pro-gun site. I thought it would be good to spread the call to action:

*URGENT ALERT: Requires immediate action. Cease Fire Oregon just sent out a striking e-mail to there members to contact Senator Roblan immediately and ask him to vote yes on SB 347-no guns in public schools, SB 700-backgrounds checks, SB 699 limiting guns in state capitol, SB 796 Firearms training/range test for CHL. Conversely please contact or phone call Senator Roblan and have him say no to all of the above bills.
His phone number is 503-986-1705. His e-mail is [email protected]. He is the deciding vote and the measures will be voted on tomorrow. Please circulate this announcement ASAP. *

I just called didn't even ask for my name

Emailed the following:

Mr. Roblan, please do not support SB 347-no guns in public schools, SB 700-backgrounds checks, SB 699 limiting guns in state capitol, SB 796 Firearms training/range test for CHL.

Most of these bills are aimed specifically at making the lives of CHL holders more difficult. CHL holders are not criminals. Collectively, they have an almost crime free record. What does Cease Fire Oregon hope to gain with their poorly written bills other than to simply harass the people already most likely to obey firearms laws? Please do not support this fear driven legislation.

Done. Every last one of you should be bombing this guy's office. They had enough time to email me right back. They have too much time on their hands.

Call or email. Right now.

Had an interesting exchange with Roblan's office the past few days -

" To: Sen Roblan
Subject: Gun Bills Opposition

Dear Senator Roblan,

I respectfully urge you to oppose the current iteration of Gun Bills now before the Senate Judiciary Committee. More guns laws that only put further restrictions upon otherwise law-abiding citizens simply makes no sense. Let's utilize our resources in treating those with mental illness and in tough sentencing for those found guilty of violent crime.
I'm a father of three. Two of my children are still in in elementary and high school. I'm a sworn law enforcement officer. More restrictive guns laws are not the answer and making our public schools and colleges into gun-free zones is a very bad idea. Citizens with a Concealed Handgun License are so rarely involved in gun crime as to be statistically irrelevant. Please stand fast and oppose these gun bills and any of a similar nature. I do not oppose range training for CHL applicants per se, but a grace period should be allowed for those individuals that might not have access to a range or certified range officer. Furthermore, requirements should be simple, fair and not so onerous as to be a de facto prohibition of a CHL.

Respectfully,

Sen. Roblan's Office Response :

Sent: Monday, April 8, 2013 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: Gun Bills Opposition

Thanks for sharing your position and the information below. I will print a copy for Senator Roblan's review. Please note, the bills are scheduled for a work session on 4/10/13. Please do not hesitate to visit the website for more information herehttp://www.leg.state.or.us/comm/

Senator Roblan said on Friday that we have other things that we need to be doing like making sure our society and our kids look out for each other.

He appreciates the input from constituents and his colleagues from both sides of the aisle. As Scalia said,

" There seems to us no doubt, on the basis of both text and history, that the Second Amendment conferred an individual right to keep and bear arms. Of course the right was not unlimited, just as the First Amendment ’s right of free speech was not, see, e.g., United States v. Williams, 553 U. S. ___ (2008). Thus, we do not read the Second Amendment to protect the right of citizens to carry arms for any sort of confrontation, just as we do not read the First Amendment to protect the right of citizens to speak for any purpose. ."

Rosie Shatkin

Legislative Policy Advisor

Sen. Arnie Roblan, SD 5

My Response to Sen. Roblan's email:

"Thank you for your prompt response. With you quoting Justice Scalia's statement, I'd offer the following:

Licensed concealed handgun carry is very much a common practice throughout Oregon and the United States. The practice has been in existence for many, many years and provides a baseline to relate the number of gun violence incidents since CHL carry has become more and more popular. Given the very, very small, statistically irrelevant incidents of those CHL holders subsequently committing gun crimes (particularly "high profile" or "mass" shootings) I see very little practical reason for additional restrictions; to wit - don't further restrict with onerous and inpractical laws and de facto prohibition those in our society that are not involved in gun crime.

Please standfast and oppose these gun bills as they now exist.

Again thank you for your quick response.

Interesting. I got the same Scalia quote. I also got a question about why I thought these upcoming bills would infringe my rights.

My reply has not garnered a response thus far.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top