JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a new Caldwell chrono some months back. First use I shot some Underwood ammo for a check. One load read 30% faster then the box said. One load read about 20% slow then the box said. Others read a little slow then the box, which makes sense because my barrel is probably shorter then the test barrel. My hand loads all read 15-35 % faster then the recipes I used said they should be.

I contacted Caldwell and after a little question and answer exchange they said to keep the old chrono and they would send a new one. Great. Tried it with pretty much the same loads and got the same results. Contacted Caldwell again and after much delay they responded: I just contacted our engineer back and I have been informed that somehow the chronograph has an issue with reading .45 ACP loads. He has gotten a couple other calls in regards to the issue and it appears to be some form of a compatibility issue with all of the chronographs and that they do not accurately read this round as they should. So far in testing this is the only round that we have found to not work as it should. The issue what we are seeing with the chronograph is exactly what you were experiencing in that the rounds are reading around 1350 regardless of the load type and bullet. Unfortunately we do not have anything we can do for the chronograph at this time as it appears that the software in all of the chronographs are doing this same thing with .45 ACP. What I would like to do for your time and cooperation in this matter as well as sending over all of your helpful data is to get you one of our pistol mag chargers for you to try at no cost.

This makes no sense to me. Has anyone had this kind of an issue with Caldwell? If I need to get a different chrono what are the suggestions? I so like the fact that the Caldwell will plug into my Android and record the info.

I've had good results with mine but I don't shoot .45.....

It's an optical sensor so it makes sense that it could read an object too large and skew it's reaults.

I'm wondering if .44Mag and .45 LC would have the same issue?

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but just making the statement that one cartridge would have an issue being measured by their instrument is rather bizarre. No mention of bullet style, just that the 45 ACP doesn't work? I would question the escaping gasses being more responsible for the incorrect readings than the fact that it's a 45 ACP.
How far from the muzzle is the chronograph?

Just got a reply from Caldwell. The problem they are having is with the G2 units not reading anything properly in the 800-1300 fps range. This makes more sense. They are going to send me a different unit until they can solve the problem

Just got a reply from Caldwell. The problem they are having is with the G2 units not reading anything properly in the 800-1300 fps range. This makes more sense. They are going to send me a different unit until they can solve the problem
That DOES make a lot more sense.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR