JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I'm thinking, pondering, of sawpping a Duramax and Allison in my 69 c-10. I've got a chance to buy the engine and tranny with 150,000 miles on them. $5,000

I'm expecting lots of custom work and cutting and shoe horn. Any motor heads on here do such a task?

I would question whether or not the front suspension will handle the added weight and if the tranny will fit the tunnel without causing a ground clearance issue.
It will be a sweet setup when you get it done!

I've been seeing them done on the net. But it looks like hell of work. Yes the suspension will need upgraded. It's a $9,000 deal. If I get cold feet, I will settle for my first plan. 6.0 LS motor, with 550 hp, and a supercharger for an extra 200-275hp. That will cost less, and fits. My pickup is the color of farm truck on that show on the discovery channel. You know the show with the dipsheets. Major dorks! I want a sleeper truck. Unassuming.

A LS/4l80E trans swap will be a bit easier to do, especially with respects to suspension. motor mounts, frame bracing, relocating steering pump, steering rack and fabricating a new trans tunnel.

Its a huge transmission man, massive. Check some dimensions online.

As above, unless this is going to spend its life towing, a nice LS would make a better driving combo.

I get burning coal is cool though.

I've spent wayWAY too much time/sweat/blood & $$$ on stupid projects common sense couldn't talk me out of. Gradually the cure of which was hastened by asking myself 'just why might it be such a marvelous pile of scrap isn't more common being squired about the realm'?

In a c10 will be a full fabricated tranny tunnel for the Allison as its HUGE! Vans had a duramax 4l80 combo so that could be an option to get around the tranny tunnel. As for a 750hp 6.0/supercharger combo if you could do it for under 12k all in I would be surpised. Got more then that in my ls3 and magnusson setup excluding the tranny. A supercharger is 6k ish all by itself. All the small stuff really adds up to get a fuel injected motor going in a old car/truck.

It's a cool thought and bubblegum cool make/model/year. You would need to think about beefing up the rest of the drive train to handle the extra torque. I would invest the money in rebuilding your engine and restoration of what you already have for the chassis. Keep it as original as possible. It's a classic now, and I've watched the value consistently go up, even for those in "as is" condition. Professional restorations are getting 35-50K on the auction block. Unless your rig is rotted out, you have a great investment right now. Good luck to you.

12k? Man that's not what we have looked at. We've seen blowers for $1,900

Post a link to what your looking at for a blower. I would venture to guess its a ctsv set up thats incomplete or a old side mount style. Most new blower setups vortec, Ken bell, magnacharger ect start at $4500 depending on what is with the kit like fuel pump, injectors, fuel rails ect.

i would be trying to do a 6.2L supercharged out of a 2008-2013 cts-V with a 6L80 or 90 trans.

i do like the 4L80 and believe it holds up to more Torque Vs the 6L80 in stock form.

ive rebuilt both transmissions... i like the design of the 6L better.

Have you considered instead finding somewhere a older used Silver Mechanical Unit Injection 353T Detroit Diesel? Around 125+ net HP and net 300+ Torque. Then you can install tune and have fun with a real deal JAKE BRAKE.

Manual tranny best. Lots of choices. A HD New Venture 3550 comes to mind. Older common aluminum case 5 speed overdrive smaller transmission. About 125 pounds. The Detroit will go in at about 1050 pounds. :) :)

Have you considered instead finding somewhere a older used Silver Mechanical Unit Injection 353T Detroit Diesel? Around 125+ net HP and net 300+ Torque. Then you can install and have fun with a real deal Jake Brake.

Manual tranny best. Lots of choices. A HD New Venture 3550 comes to mind. Older common aluminum case 5 speed overdrive smaller transmission. About 125 pounds. The Detroit will go in at about 1050 pounds. :) :)

x2 on the NV3500

put the upgraded main shaft nut in it and you'll be good to go

Have you considered instead finding somewhere a older used Silver Mechanical Unit Injection 353T Detroit Diesel? Around 125+ net HP and net 300+ Torque. Then you can install tune and have fun with a real deal JAKE BRAKE.
Even without the Jake, it would sound WAAAAYYYY cooler!

Love them old "screamin' Jimmys."

The crazy reason I suggested the DD is that way back in about 1975 we put 353 and 454 Detroit Diesels into Ford pickups and farm one tons. The best swap was a "powerful" 100 hp 200 torque 353N with a real deal Jake Brake. Not an exhaust brake.

Slow. Noisy. Stinky. But so much fun to drive. Straight New Process 540 granny five speed. About 60 mph flat wide open. The Jake Brake was so much fun installing, tuning and playing with at 2 am. Long ago, far away. Just another swap possibility.

Here is the pickup

F1F02C0E-E395-4E40-9464-70A1A7CD9A3A.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews