JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I checked out the selection at Brownells and its a pretty huge inventory. With online sales on the rise I'm curious whats in it for the dealer?
Ive never bought on line so I'm assuming you contact your LGS and ask them if they will finish the transfer for you then order the gun and go pick it up. Why would a dealer do this do they charge a fee on top of their BGC fee?
Firearms at Brownells

Selection_001_20161204_13:05:57.jpg

No idea on an extra charge.

But, it seems like an easy way for the dealer to make a few extra bucks with the BGC/transfer fee without having to deal with the overhead of keeping a firearm in stock for months on end until it sells, if it sells.

No idea on an extra charge.

But, it seems like an easy way for the dealer to make a few extra bucks with the BGC/transfer fee without having to deal with the overhead of keeping a firearm in stock for months on end until it sells, if it sells.

I always figured the BGC was more of a courtesy for private sales than anything worth while for actually making a profit.

I checked out the selection at Brownells and its a pretty huge inventory. With online sales on the rise I'm curious whats in it for the dealer?
Ive never bought on line so I'm assuming you contact your LGS and ask them if they will finish the transfer for you then order the gun and go pick it up. Why would a dealer do this do they charge a fee on top of their BGC fee?
Firearms at Brownells

View attachment 326943

I've bought online quite a bit. You have the gun shipped to any FFL that takes incoming transfers. I've used places like Tigard Pawn and Adaptive Firing Solutions as well as some others. What's in it for them? Yes, they ALL charge a fee for the transfer and BGC. Best I've found so far is Adaptive at $20 total (includes the $10 BGC fee for OR). Tigard Pawn charges $25 total. So yeah, they do make something off of a transfer - shop around and find a good deal before you have it shipped.

Depends upon the dealer. Our local friendly knowledgeable Class 3 Dealer charges quite a fee for NFA transfers. His normal FFL transfer fee is a small percentage of the total firearm cost. Varies.

More and more of his total business is now coming from folks who want to order something he does not have. The key to such sales is to charge what the market will bear, then a little less. Business.

More and more of his total business is now coming from folks who want to order something he does not have. The key to such sales is to charge what the market will bear, then a little less. Business.

ok, this makes sense.
Im just concerned the LGS's couldnt compete with the inventory that large wayerhouse retailers can handle. Im wondering if some smaller shops could close over this...

I do feel for the LGS and try to buy local as much as possible. It's the long game. All the little gun shops close then the big box really don't have to play nice.

Little Bear gun shop offered me a vet discount. I don't think Big Box stores or online does that. TJ guns helped me with advice and bits for my build. Other outlet are cheaper in the short but over time we lose when they're gone.

They almost always charge a transfer fee, and the bcg fee.

I usually use clark county gunsmithing.
Usually $20-$60 for the transfer then the bcg fee.

Really it'sneasy money for them. What are they out? A few mins to do the paperwork and bcg.

And hopefully while your their buy more stuff

Problem for LGS is most places make money on the little extras. There's not a big mark up on firearms so online dealers make money by doing high volumes, local shops make more money on all the extras you buy when getting a firearm.
Ammo, mags, bags, cases, slings, etc, etc.
for the small shops they have to charge more because they don't move the volume. They can't afford to have a large volume of accessories so they are going away fast

The "dealer" gets "traffic" and is paid for their service, the latter being more than what a lot of people pay when they are "just looking". At least a person who comes in and pays for the BGC/etc. is actually bringing some money to the dealer.

A lot of people come in, look around, take time of the shop employees and leave without ever buying anything. What is the ration? Ten to one person who actually buys something? One hundred to one?

I would not mind paying a reasonable fee for the dealer to receive and hold my firearm after it comes in - say, about the same as their BGC fee?

I recognize that they have costs in doing that and I am willing to pay. In the past many FFLs used to charge a percentage but with the price of guns today I don't think I would be amenable to that.

Also, "traffic" sometimes results in the shop selling other goods and services. When I bought a handgun from one seller here, I also bought another handgun that the dealer had for sale. If they give good service and have good products/prices, I will come back for repeat business.

Here in Washington I purchased 3 Wyndham rifles last month boxed in one package from Ohio and Ffl here charged me sales tax on the rifles plus $15.00 for all 3 on the transfer.

Money Market Pawn in PDX has a separate part of their website where you can order guns online through Davisdson's.

This may be the future for LGSs; a partnership with online sellers. A franchise.

IIRC, A Cut Above Pawn has an "understanding" with many online sellers.

This may be the future for LGSs; a partnership with online sellers. A franchise.

thats actually not a bad idea.

Ok my concerns that Brownell's selling guns will hurt LGS sales is over now. I was just overly impressed by what their inventory was, incredible. This isnt much different than any other retail industry... and there will never be a replacement for in person service and actually handling something you are considering buying.

What I have done....I see that gun in a magazine/TV/movie, use your imagination...A little research and, I WANT THAT GUN. Go to Kieth's and tell them what you want. They get on the computer and look around, find it, and tell you how much. Give them $50.00 and wait for the call! $10.00 BGC and your done.

Wifey and I have done that three times for hard to find, or out of the mainstream firearms. No shipping or transfer charges, and the local shop gets the money.

Firearms at Brownells

View attachment 326943
All the LGS is doing is a transfer. You are purchasing it from brownells and they are sending it to you favorite ffl.
All that is in it for the dealer is the transfer fee and if they charge for a check. They are loosing the profit they would have made had they just ordered it for you.
You save a few buck and help the big internet stores put the brick and mortar stores out of business;)

All the LGS is doing is a transfer. You are purchasing it from brownells and they are sending it to you favorite ffl.
All that is in it for the dealer is the transfer fee and if they charge for a check. They are loosing the profit they would have made had they just ordered it for you.
You save a few buck and help the big internet stores put the brick and mortar stores out of business;)
whats the correct way to do this to support the LGS? What if what you want is on sale or just lower at Brownells? Where do the LGSs order from?

whats the correct way to do this to support the LGS? What if what you want is on sale or just lower at Brownells? Where do the LGSs order from?
As they say,there inlies the rub
I like buying from the LGS but sometimes Brownells or places like Buds has all of some gun in stock. Then your local guy can't find that gun. Cause he doesn't have the buying power
Then you buy online and he still makes $20
We had folks that wanted to buy from us. They wanted to support the LGS (this was after SH). We couldn't find a lot of stuff so we told them we'll take the $30 fee instead. They would still be supporting us.

As they say,there inlies the rub
I like buying from the LGS but sometimes Brownells or places like Buds has all of some gun in stock. Then your local guy can't find that gun. Cause he doesn't have the buying power
Then you buy online and he still makes $20
We had folks that wanted to buy from us. They wanted to support the LGS (this was after SH). We couldn't find a lot of stuff so we told them we'll take the $30 fee instead. They would still be supporting us.
that sounds right, and what Im doing so all is good. Not much can be done if the exact gun you want it only available on line. Im willing to pay a little bit more to support the LGS.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top