JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I called around for someone to receive and transfer a lower, it was difficult to find a store willing to do it. Pawn shops were down right rude about it. Larger stores just said no and hung up. Did find a few here in Salem to take care of it. Found out I could have bought from them in the first place and got the same price minus what I paid for shipping.

When I called around for someone to receive and transfer a lower, it was difficult to find a store willing to do it. Pawn shops were down right rude about it. Larger stores just said no and hung up. Did find a few here in Salem to take care of it. Found out I could have bought from them in the first place and got the same price minus what I paid for shipping.

Once you find one you like stick with them and make sure they see they are getting more business by catering to you.

Dude, you got screwed...
A half dozen years ago B-4 I594 I bought 5 guns off the internet & an FFL I picked off the net only charged & 25 for each one so it was no big deal. I asked him B-4 I finalized it if he was going to charge me sales tax, he said it's not his job...;)

Yep...six years ago that was true. The rules have changed since then, and WA FFLs are now required to collect use tax on transfers from dealers out of state.
<broken link removed>

The FFL closest to me is more interested in running their indoor range.

They seem ambivalent with respects to the selling of firearms but are more than happy to charge the transfer fee for an online purchase. He knows he can't compete with the online sellers and has even referred me to some websites with the suggestion I purchase it there and have it shipped to him.

It's OK with me. I have specific needs and can get them found, purchased and shipped pretty quickly.

I checked out the selection at Brownells and its a pretty huge inventory. With online sales on the rise I'm curious whats in it for the dealer?
Ive never bought on line so I'm assuming you contact your LGS and ask them if they will finish the transfer for you then order the gun and go pick it up. Why would a dealer do this do they charge a fee on top of their BGC fee?
Firearms at Brownells

View attachment 326943
I always use Gallery of Guns. Not only can you compare prices, but there's no extra fee since it's the LGS that is actually selling you the gun. Gallery of Guns is simply acting as the Distributor and the LGS will have your item in 48 hours or less.

Best of all, all items are covered by a lifetime warranty through the site.

Too many reasons NOT to go anywhere else.

Greg

I checked out the selection at Brownells and its a pretty huge inventory. With online sales on the rise I'm curious whats in it for the dealer?
Ive never bought on line so I'm assuming you contact your LGS and ask them if they will finish the transfer for you then order the gun and go pick it up. Why would a dealer do this do they charge a fee on top of their BGC fee?
Firearms at Brownells

View attachment 326943
I have a local licensed dealer that I always use for the shipping of any firearms that I buy online because he only charges $15 for the transfer. In addition, though, at least in Washington State, he has to collect the sales tax as all dealers must (so do not pay any sales tax online or you will be getting "double-dipped" by the state). ;)

I always use Gallery of Guns. Not only can you compare prices, but there's no extra fee since it's the LGS that is actually selling you the gun. Gallery of Guns is simply acting as the Distributor and the LGS will have your item in 48 hours or less.

Greg
I had seen links to that but had no idea that's how It works. Will have to spend some tim

Yep...six years ago that was true. The rules have changed since then, and WA FFLs are now required to collect use tax on transfers from dealers out of state.
<broken link removed>
Yep it was yet another place the legislature discovered some money was to be had and jumped on it. I was surprised by this last time I bought a gun from out of state. Hey they need to constantly find new revenue to hand out cash to those who refuse to work to support themselves :mad:

I agree with the guy who supports his local gun shop. That said, when I buy rifles online, I ship them to an Oregon shop so Washington State Sales Tax isn't added. Can't do that with handguns, of course. But I don't want to pay sales tax to a state where a new gun law seems to be passed every two years.

What's in it for the dealer?

Moved to Oregon. Don't know anyone or any business in this very small town. I won/bought a gun on an online auction that no dealers around could get. I went to a local gun store to ask about getting my new gun delivered to him (FFL), for a fee of course. He said he was too busy getting ready for some gun shows coming up. Never went back and never will. However, I have spend thousands in a competitor's store that took my little first transfer fee.

What's in it for the dealer?

Moved to Oregon. Don't know anyone or any business in this very small town. I won/bought a gun on an online auction that no dealers around could get. I went to a local gun store to ask about getting my new gun delivered to him (FFL), for a fee of course. He said he was too busy getting ready for some gun shows coming up. Never went back and never will. However, I have spend thousands in a competitor's store that took my little first transfer fee.
Most businesses that fail it comes back to stuff like this. Someone starts a business and acts the fool. Then when it fails they blame everything but themselves of course.

Most businesses that fail it comes back to stuff like this. Someone starts a business and acts the fool. Then when it fails they blame everything but themselves of course.

Exactly, the only LGS in my small town thinks that everyone that owns and EBR is an idiot... and he sells them!!!!!
His door will never grace my shadow ever again!!! I get great satisfaction telling others who think he is a great business owner....

Yep it was yet another place the legislature discovered some money was to be had and jumped on it. I was surprised by this last time I bought a gun from out of state. Hey they need to constantly find new revenue to hand out cash to those who refuse to work to support themselves :mad:
One good change after I594 is that NO TAX is due on guns bought from a private party and transferred at a FFL. Tax is only collected on a firearm purchased from a retail business and sent to your local FFL for transfer. The regulation quoted is old and no longer valid after I594 passed.

Greg
I have bought a few from Davison's, but They are not always the cheapest. Not that cheapest will always get my business, but online VS. online cheap works. I bought five guns in the past two months, three online and transferred thru my LGS, two ordered thru my LGS.

Last Edited:
Dude, you got screwed...
A half dozen years ago B-4 I594 I bought 5 guns off the internet & an FFL I picked off the net only charged & 25 for each one so it was no big deal. I asked him B-4 I finalized it if he was going to charge me sales tax, he said it's not his job...;)

<broken link removed>

The Washington Department of Revenue is not shy about collecting sales tax - and not afraid to use the court system. They forced two Vancouver gun stores to close in the past year and a half for failure to pay excise taxes.

I've bought online quite a bit. You have the gun shipped to any FFL that takes incoming transfers. I've used places like Tigard Pawn and Adaptive Firing Solutions as well as some others. What's in it for them? Yes, they ALL charge a fee for the transfer and BGC. Best I've found so far is Adaptive at $20 total (includes the $10 BGC fee for OR). Tigard Pawn charges $25 total. So yeah, they do make something off of a transfer - shop around and find a good deal before you have it shipped.
I have bought a few long guns recently from gunbroker.com - even after shipping and the FFL transfer fees, I still came out "way ahead" IMO on the deal.

Most recent purchase - Mossberg 930 wood 12-ga 3" shell semi-auto shotgun $350 postage paid. Best deal I saw from a fixed price dealer online was $800 for the exact same shotgun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top