JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was thinking bout this just the other day driving back from Spokane there is so much land over the mountains granted most is farm land but there is parts that they are unable to plant any crops on

Anyone ever shoot at the COWITZ PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGE?
I just discovered the website and was thinking of trying it out. Seems you can shoot all day for $8.00 (+gun fee of $1.00 a gun and $3.00 per shooter) which seem very cheap.

Let's see,

$8.00 Range Fee
$3.00 Shooter
$47.00 At $1.00 per gun = $58.00

Nope, to much! :D:D:D

Lol the skagit indoor range up here charges $17 for all day you can bring as many guns as you want mainly a pistol range they will let you shoot up to a 7.62/39 but it's only 25 yards so I shoot my hand guns there but have taken my AR Rifle 's there after I have done something to them just to make sure they work Lol

The Evergreen Sportsman club just north of Centrailia & south of Tumwater is a good place to shoot 100 yds & a 5 place pistol range to the side.

It's better than shooting with Bubba & his cousins at the pits!!!

I'm waiting on the wife to retire so we can get a plot and say to hell with everyone and do our thing...

I go with a friend as a guest to clark rifles when I can. I would love a membership but I don't think it will ever happen.
So if I need a quick trip I go to the english pit down the street, and if I have all day it'/ out to the woods!

Lol the skagit indoor range up here charges $17 for all day you can bring as many guns as you want mainly a pistol range they will let you shoot up to a 7.62/39 but it's only 25 yards so I shoot my hand guns there but have taken my AR Rifle 's there after I have done something to them just to make sure they work Lol

That's pretty reasonable shooting $$ but indoors, ugh!

Easy deal if your willing to drive a couple of hours, head east to Gilliam, Morrow county area.
$20k will pick up a fairly decent chunk of alkali and sage brush.

You could camp on it, shoot and pretty much do as you please.
Just a thought.

I used to live in Gilliam county and it is, imho, home to some of the most beautiful country in the state. Back then, land prices were very reasonable, though I don't know what they are like now. So, plus one to this idea. :)

Albany outside town it was common to have people shooting on their property. ARPC was a great location as well. Coos County you were in the middle of so much forest finding a place to shoot was easy. Clark County little different story

I have a range in my yard. Mostly for pistols. I know good places near me in the woods to shoot rifles( places you would never know I was there). Ive been considering land in Longbeach Wa, but not for shooting unless I found the right spot and the city didnt mind.

I have a range in my yard. Mostly for pistols. I know good places near me in the woods to shoot rifles( places you would never know I was there). Ive been considering land in Longbeach Wa, but not for shooting unless I found the right spot and the city didnt mind.
Fill me in I'm in the Redland area :D

One of the gunsmiths here used to tell people he had 10k acres.
Well he had 2 1/2 that HE owned but he boardered the BLM. Had a range set up and even had some steel there to collect the lead.
So if you are looking for land,the cheap way is to find a decent place boardering BLM or such. Some place with a nice hill a couple hundred yards away.

I live on a woodlot in the coast range and I choose not to target shoot on my land (maybe .22LR with the grandchildren) for my own OPSEC reasons, and if I have good weather, I work my bubblegum off here.

The thought of owning and shooting on a vacant woodlot in a non-residential zoned area is an attractive idea.

Logic: a. the initial investment cost, b. property taxes, c. other land owners, d. trespassers, e. liability, f. safety, and g. work.

a. compare with CVSC dues; $125/year X 10 years is $1,250.00.
b. rolled into the private range dues.
c. handled by the private range management and their lawyers.
d. same as C
e. same as C
f. if the SOP is followed, yes and see note f. below.
g. work days are voluntary.

Visceral opinion; visiting a private range can be 99% fun; we generally come and go as we please, where the responsibility of owning a piece of land or a range is lots of work!

f. while we can control ourselves; we cannot control the actions of others. I used to bring family to shoot in the coast range but I always worried about the (other) knuckleheads around us o_O, particularly in areas where landings or loading pads face each other. There are places off HWY 22 where the (other) knuckleheads have shot over us.

My (non financial interest) advice is to get that piece of land but instead of using it for target practice, set it up for the dream dear hunting plot of a lifetime; then pay for a private range membership to really focus on the enjoyment of target shooting.

addendum: the amount of spent brass left on a private range can pay for the membership....:cool:

Last Edited:
did this 20 years ago, bought 30 Acres over by Billy Chinook, central Or. No water no electric no neighbors! closest house is a ranch 7 miles from us. First thing we did was put in a rifle range. Don't use it much lately Joined ARPC here. But have camped and shot with the entire family many times over the years. Its out in the sage a junipers gave $6000. back then taxes about $90 per year. Never regretted it.

So random question i thought of that might seem silly.

If you have the money to spend could you go buy some land thats not really developed or anything, just a plot that's at the edge of town (to avoid noise issues) that you go to and shoot on?

Obviously even if its cheap land (Around 20k maybe for undeveloped/forest area you think?) it will be way more expensive than paying for a range. Just wondering what some pros/cons to doing this might be and wanted to hear what you guys think.

This is a super subject for several shooters and especially shooting organizations, as reference to 'Ducks Unlimited'. My company leases tens of thousands of acres throughout the USA, this includes over 20,000 acres in Oregon alone and more in the Pacific Northwest specifically for shooting related activates.

Over the last ten or more years in the USA, the farmers and ranchers alone have been hit with several cost increases and EPA regulations that are killing the privet ranch/farm owners. The company launched a program to create long-term leases with large land owners specifically for shooting activates and as far away form highly populated Aries as possible yet not far off major highway networks.

A brief summary of shooting activates the company manage include: Federal/State/Local Agency Training, Open Long-Range Cracker Shoots, Interagency Critter Walk-n-Shoot Challenges, Gun-Club Walk-n-Shoot Critter Challenges, Open Walk-n-Shoot Critter Contests and Guided Training Hunts for everything 'non-game' rodents/varmints & predators.

The only issues have been the liabilities, and solid participant/property damage contracts are a must including the following:

- Signed 5-year minimum written and properly signed/notarized lease contracts.
- Signed Safety Rules/Training.
- Signed Participant Liability Wavers
- Local anti-gun activists and trespassing issues.
- EPA, too many problems to list and a Lawyer should be part of any land leasing team.

Several of these long-time lease locations even have Portable Raised Helipads capable of small craft and in some cases the large ones are even installed by the primary agency. The supporting revenue for ranchers in these bad environments is highly welcomed and so is the reduction in ground holes harming livestock along with predators that are killing the landowner's animals. ALL GOOD.

Badger 060815.jpg

It's great to have land at your disposal to shoot on. It's nice not having to worry about others. Pay attention to the topography and look for parcels with natural backstops. Do your due diligence and understand the surrounding parcels, who owns them, which ones are for sale, who your neighbors are, etc. For example, it would suck if someone buys that parcel that sits directly down range and/or behind your backstop. Just because the land is vacant today, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow. Also, many neighbors don't appreciate gun fire. It may be your land and you can do what you want with it but nobody needs the aggravation of a feud with their neighbors.

It may also seem obvious but make absolutely sure it's legal to shoot on said property before you buy it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top