JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So random question i thought of that might seem silly.

If you have the money to spend could you go buy some land thats not really developed or anything, just a plot that's at the edge of town (to avoid noise issues) that you go to and shoot on?

Obviously even if its cheap land (Around 20k maybe for undeveloped/forest area you think?) it will be way more expensive than paying for a range. Just wondering what some pros/cons to doing this might be and wanted to hear what you guys think.

I can hook you up with a realitor for Clark county in WA if your interested and serious.

Plenty of spots in the forest and I don't have that kind of cash, plus I was able to get into Clark Rifles which is only 30 min from my house on the back roads.

I've thought the same thing for a long time! Maybe with future plans to put a small cabin or at least a covered RV Pole Building on!

If you have the money to spend could you go buy some land thats not really developed or anything, just a plot that's at the edge of town (to avoid noise issues) that you go to and shoot on?

Obviously even if its cheap land (Around 20k maybe for undeveloped/forest area you think?) it will be way more expensive than paying for a range. Just wondering what some pros/cons to doing this might be and wanted to hear what you guys think.

from what I understand yes, but you have to be outside of both any city limit and the urban growth zone. Since you mentioned a plot at the edge of town remember that both of those do not get smaller...

It can be done. My son's friend parents bought some land in WA. They parked an old small trailer on it so they can go up there to camp, fish and shoot. Said they just have to watch out for the pot growers.

I was able to get into Clark Rifles

Last I checked they have a 5 year backlog for new applicants and aren't taking any more names on the backlog... :(

It sucks not having a place to shoot. I sure liked living in Cody Wyoming where it was an easy short trip (even a bicycle ride) to the shooting place. I used to find clearcuts around here but lately there don't seem to be too many of those around.

Maybe we should get 10 people together and buy the cheapest hunk of land we can find up the Gorge for camping and shooting. :)

Every now and then I waste time looking through realtor listings around John Day (sigh)...

I'm going to do this at some point soon, it's a time thing for me right now. And obviously the longer I can hold off the more money I will have....but with appreciation the longer I wait the more money I will need!

Looking for something either in the coast range or central Oregon. I'd like to have some water onsite ideally. Coast range ~50 acres, central Oregon ~100+ acres.

What I would really like to do is just pull up stakes and move to Lakeview, but the whole no-job/no-family thing would get to me if I did that. I really like my job and my family. A compound on 2,000+ acres in Lake County would be awesome but I would have to liquidate over here to pull that one off.

We have 40 some odd acres, so my idea of going to the range is...a 75 yd ar500 gong, a 112 yd gong, an idpa 3 target set up next to a speed steel set up, all shooting into a hillside. All within 50 yes of my house.

I know you can make your property in town a range you have to contact the police to find out how. But I know a guy in West Linn that has a "range" in his backyard that we shoot our 303 Brits at. Before we could shoot he would call the west Linn police station and tell them he was getting ready to shoot. So you have to do your research but it's possible to shoot in city limits.

The only hitch in that idea now is people leasing land to pot growers at ridiculous prices, so if there is enough arable land in a plot, that's who you might be competing with to buy.

I used to have a 500 yard range off my back porch N of Sheridan <sob!>

A compound, that's what we need, a compound. ;)

There are some 80-acre properties around Bickelton for a bit above $1000 per acre... Might make more sense to find some little 5 acre piece bordering on BLM land though. For our compound.

Pros and cons?

It's all PRO. But two CON's I have personally witnessed too many times with this type of property.

1. The neighbors think it's their own personal garbage dump. Week after week, I've seen truckloads of garbage just dumped where they think nobody will ever know.

and

2. If you expect to leave anything on the property, tools, target frames, a fire pit, anything...It will be gone the next time you visit your property.

WAYNO.

the homeontherange.png best range in spokane county with a nice triple wide will be on the market as soon as the weather warms up. those berms are 20 ft thick and 15- ft high

Anyone ever shoot at the COWITZ PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGE?
I just discovered the website and was thinking of trying it out. Seems you can shoot all day for $8.00 (+gun fee of $1.00 a gun and $3.00 per shooter) which seem very cheap.

A few years ago I was down by Crescent Lake, Oregon. I asked in a local store about a place to shoot. The owner laughed and said that most people around there didn't even get off their porches when they wanted to shoot. He did tell me where i could find an abandoned gravel pit to use though. A whole different outlook when you get east of the mountains.

Not an odd question at all! My son and I are in the market for property where shooting is allowed (a friend has a big piece of land that was closed for shooting by law a few years back) and has at least 1000 yards clear for long-range shooting. One reason for not using a range is we like to shoot reactive targets, milk jugs filled with water, etc. Even though we always clean up, and usually fill an extra garbage bag with garbage left by others, we haven't found a range that allows shooting anything but "proper" targets; and, of course, shooting reactive targets on non-private land is against the law in Washington.

Interesting welderman1949 (I'm guessing we're the same age!) mentions Crescent Lake. Until a few years ago, my aunt and uncle had a place there, and we shot off their porch, too!

Not sure how easy it would be but I would try to find a plot that border a national forest or blm.

Towns and cities are always expanding and your out of town piece of heaven will be a part of town soon enough, but the value will also go up so you could buy another place I guess

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top