JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know we've had previous bouts with political movements towards gun law changes but this time around seems different...

Taking a step back.... For folks who can only have so much $ invested in firearms and ammo, what's your "must have" list look like?
I'm thinking a couple of carry guns (one for husband one for wife), a nice AR build, a higher capacity pistol, a ahotgun, and a bubblegum-ton of ammo.

What about all of you ?? Give me some advice on where money should be spent.

You must have an AR15 that wasn't bought on a 4473. That rifle must have 10-20 mags and enough ammo to fill those mags many times.

Then, the same is true of a full or midsize polymer service pistol. Lots of mags, lots of good JHP, even more FMJ, and a few good holsters. This must also be off a 4473.

In a time like this, if one is starting late, these are the musts before anything else.

Three firearms:

Personal Defense Rifle
Personal Defense Handgun
An accurate rimfire firearm suitable for hunting small game

What these are exactly depends on your personal situation and preferences.

But the rimfire firearm is an absolute must. I have more rimfire .22 firearms than any other other chambering. I have around 20K in rimfire ammo. In a SHTF situation, a lightweight, compact and accurate rimfire is probably the most useful firearm you can own.

Beyond that, I tend towards each member of my group (myself, my daughter and her husband) having the same PDR and PDH, or at least the firearms be in the same chamberings.

For PDRs, I have a preference for bullpups.

YMMV

30-06... Goes thru Elk and body armor.

My higher cap pistols are my carry guns so I would add a .357 revolver.

Pump shotguns not simi-autos

Lots of 30 round mags to go with your AR. Personally I'd go AK, a third of the parts (so less to go wrong) and bigger, cheaper bullets.

I have my hunting guns, defense guns, inherited guns and fun guns - I need them all plus some and more ammo then I can ever afford:p

This isn't a SHTF thread, I think. Isn't his query "What do I buy before the lefties force gun control up our posteriors?"

Guys, if y'all listened to the DNC debate, we may very well be on the (hopefully long) road to war.

Yep. I said war.

This isn't a SHTF thread, I think. Isn't his query "What do I buy before the lefties force gun control up our posteriors?"

Guys, if y'all listened to the DNC debate, we may very well be on the (hopefully long) road to war.

Yep. I said war.

So you think war isn't a SHTF?:D:D

They will propose assault weapon ban, magazine bans over 10 rounds, registration of both and probably requirements that guns are in safes with police inspections (just look at prior bills to get an idea what is coming).

Also consider planning for after the ban. If you are going to go out target shooting, you will need mags <10 rounds

Yep. I said war.
Exactly. I don't want to be behind the 8 ball if things DO change but also have limited funds to put towards purchases...

It's hard to know what's coming. Unlike Australia and the U.K., we do have Constitutional protection. The question is how far can they go finding ways around the 2nd. At the moment, they're experiencing some success, but there are still limits. Some courts will back them, others will not. An all out gun ban, in my opinion, could never happen here, I don't think even an extremely left leaning court could pull that one off.

But, they are coming. And they're getting as ballsy as they ever have. They are energized and will no longer skate around the gun-control issue. It's both barrels from them now, and, I think, ultimately it will backfire. One of the most recent polls, conducted by one of 'their' polling organizations show that Americans are starting to get a little more irritated by all the talk of gun control - and absolutely no results to show for it.

I don't doubt we'll get hit here in Oregon in 2016. We have no way I can think of to stop them. The question is how far can they go, and how they expect to enforce whatever BS they push through. But, like 941, enforcement of any kind of a ban will be a nightmare for them. Heck, they can't even put together a darn website, how the heck do they expect to restrict and possibly confiscate tens to hundreds of thousands of guns and magazines? Their incompetence and idiocy is their downfall.

As for the 4473 issue, I don't even know if that's really an issue anyway. Again, how will they enforce it? Knocking on doors to confiscate them? The minute they tried that, the word would get out via 500 different sources that they were on the move, and suddenly, all those things would 'disappear' from homes all over the state. I suspect many already don't comply with 941, but that only really impacts people that do private sales. Any kind of ban/restriction on guns themselves would impact far more people. And many, many more would not comply.

The real concern would likely be for the folks that perhaps have a crime at their home, and during the course of the investigation, they're found with 'contraband' items and charged with possession. And of course, there will be those neighbors that are watching and can't wait to call the SS....I mean, state police, to report their 'crimes'.

I do wonder if they'll allow continued ownership of guns and magazines you already owned, or if they'll ban any possession? With other states nearby, what's to say people won't just store them elsewhere?

I sure hope more people wake up to what's really happening. It's going to be a looooong winter :(

"Or if they'll ban any possession." That's the reason for having material off 4473. For most current gun owners, that was quite easy before our loss of rights. That's why I think the focus should be on standard capacity magazines. For Glocks, focus on the 17rd mags and maybe even a couple 33rd. For AR's focus on the 30rd. For 10/22's focus on Ruger BX-25's.

Those really are the three primary guns to own: Ruger 10/22, Glock 19, AR-15 (I prefer a 16" barrel with midlength DI gas system).

mags mags mags
ammo ammo ammo
(spare parts, too)

"Or if they'll ban any possession." That's the reason for having material off 4473. For most current gun owners, that was quite easy before our loss of rights. That's why I think the focus should be on standard capacity magazines.

Point well-taken..however, items purchased and listed on a 4473, that were later sold to a now deseased person; would be difficult to track...:(

Anyone smart should have an AR built from an 80% lower.

I'm not smart but it may or may not be 4473'd.

There should be:
Shotgun
.45/9/.40 (common caliber handguns)
Lever rifle and revolver of same caliber
.223 (AR or bolt)
.308 caliber or higher

Enough munitions to shoot each for quite a while.

1000 - per shotgun
2000 - per handgun (not per caliber)
2000 - per semi rifle
500 - per bolt rifle
5000 - per .22LR (optimistic now days)

If you reload, enough powder/primers to fill 2x the above requirements.

"Or if they'll ban any possession." That's the reason for having material off 4473. For most current gun owners, that was quite easy before our loss of rights. That's why I think the focus should be on standard capacity magazines. For Glocks, focus on the 17rd mags and maybe even a couple 33rd. For AR's focus on the 30rd. For 10/22's focus on Ruger BX-25's.

Those really are the three primary guns to own: Ruger 10/22, Glock 19, AR-15 (I prefer a 16" barrel with midlength DI gas system).

mags mags mags
ammo ammo ammo
(spare parts, too)

I agree with you. However, with or without a 4473, short of knocking your door down, or finding you in public (at the range) with those items, it will be very difficult to prove you still have them. Will judges start issuing warrants to raid people's homes? How would that go over, I don't know. I just think the task is far more daunting than they can even imagine. In their tiny little minds, all the good citizens will simply show up and turn them in.

Of course, that didn't happen in CT - 85% non-compliance rate

It also didn't happen in NY - suspected more than 90% non-compliance rate

It didn't even happen in Australia, where it's believed there are still 'hundreds of thousands' of 'banned' firearms in the hands of citizens, years and years after the forced confiscation/ban.

Stocking up is a good idea. We still don't know what they'll do. So, let's support the economy and stimulate some sales!

Last Edited:
Anyone smart should have an AR built from an 80% lower.

I'm not smart but it may or may not be 4473'd.

Here, I went online and made this meme for you:

2466404.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews