JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Berkeley man, 67, slain outside his house in hills

Residents of the tranquil Berkeley hills were in shock Sunday after police described a horrific slaying, with a homeowner beaten after confronting a young man - an apparent stranger - who had trespassed onto his property.

Authorities did not identify the victim, but neighbors and public records indicated that the owner of the home where the Saturday night killing occurred was Peter Cukor, 67, who owned a logistics consulting firm. His family declined to talk.

Shortly after the attack outside the large home near Tilden Park, a Berkeley police officer found Daniel Jordan Dewitt, 23, of Alameda, less than a block away. Dewitt was booked on suspicion of murder, and was being held Sunday without bail.

Dewitt suffers from mental illness, said his mother, Candy Dewitt.

"I've been telling people for years he needs help, but they're just throwing people with mental illness onto the streets," she said before declining further comment. "I'm too upset."

Police said Daniel Dewitt attacked the victim at about 8:45 p.m., after he and his wife returned home to find Dewitt near their garage. The victim told Dewitt to leave, went inside, then came out again and was attacked, said Berkeley police Sgt. Mary Kusmiss.

The victim had called police on a nonemergency line after first seeing Dewitt, according to sources familiar with the case. But police were busy monitoring an Occupy Oakland march to UC Berkeley, and officers were dispatched only to high-priority calls.

An officer who noticed the call about Dewitt on his computer told a dispatcher he would respond, but was told not to go, sources said.

Minutes later, the victim's wife heard her husband yelling for help and called 911 after seeing the suspect dragging him into bushes and hitting him with a potted plant, sources said.

Officers responded and gave the victim first aid until paramedics arrived. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The property where the attack occurred is on Park Gate near Shasta Road and Grizzly Peak Boulevard. The two-story, 6,500-square-foot house sits behind stone walls and up a driveway of roughly 40 yards.

Neighbors said they were having trouble coming to terms with what had happened.

"It's unsettling," said Pat Gahan, 44. "We feel so insulated up here. You really have to make an effort to get up here."

That's why it's best not to put too much faith in the police responding in a timely manner.

Police are often distracted by events with high visibility. It could have been a hostage situation, a car chase, providing security for the president. Any one would also siphon officers away from normal calls.

How much of the police department's resources are these idiots wasting? I wonder which social services the city will have to cut make up the difference. One thing's for sure, the Frisco area sure is entertaining to watch from a distance.

That's why it's best not to put too much faith in the police responding in a timely manner.

Police are often distracted by events with high visibility.

Or shiny things, sort of like raccoons.

It could have been a hostage situation, a car chase, providing security for the president.

Or ticketing a jaywalker, beating a bum or stealing pot from a medical marijuana patient.

Any one would also siphon officers away from normal calls.

Pretty much.

I cannot believe the Occupy BS is still going on. Even in Oakland, it's hard to believe.

I ask everyone take a step back from the specific message for the current Occupy movement. Think about what is really going on with the idea of large scale public protest, which on whole, has been fairly non-violent. Yes, I think a lot of the law enforcement have been overwhelmed by these protests. Yes, I think huge mistakes were made on both sides.

But, think about this, we live in a country where this is not just allowed, it is encouraged. Our own founding fathers encouraged this and basically used it to create a new country, the likes of which hadn't been seen since ancient Greece or Rome.

So, I ask, sure disagree with the message, but don't forget that the same rights most of us believe in are the same rights they are exercising. The Bill of Rights applies to everyone. We have to protect those people's rights we disagree with, just as much as those who we agree with.

M

Last Edited:
I ask everyone take a step back from the specific message for the current Occupy movement. Think about what is really going on with the idea of large scale public protest, which on whole, has been fairly non-violent. Yes, I think a lot of the law enforcement have been overwhelmed by these protests. Yes, I think huge mistakes were made on both sides.

But, think about this, we live in a country where this is not just allowed, it is encouraged. Our own founding fathers encouraged this and basically used it to create a new country, the likes of which hadn't been seen since ancient Greece or Rome.

So, I ask, sure disagree with the message, but don't forget that the same rights most of us believe in are the same rights they are exercising. The Bill of Rights applies to everyone. We have to protect those people's rights we disagree with, just as much as those who we agree with.

M

Yeah, great. They have the right to publicly protest. Nobody denies that.

How long are they going to protest? Who is going to pay for the police coverage? Do you expect this to just go on forever?

We get their "message". Got it a long time ago.

This man died because the police were busy covering (still) this so called protest. Enough is enough.

Yeah, great. They have the right to publicly protest. Nobody denies that.

How long are they going to protest? Who is going to pay for the police coverage? Do you expect this to just go on forever?

We get their "message". Got it a long time ago.

This man died because the police were busy covering (still) this so called protest. Enough is enough.

How long should we fight for second amendment rights? Or first amendment rights? I'm sure the public at large has heard it already, and gotten the message...

Attempting to keep things at status quo is more important to the average Joe than people's 'rights' to do anything that may threaten the ride.

All of this will come head to head as we slide deeper and deeper into economic failure. The Occupy protests are just the beginning. For someone to say they are surprised the protests are still around is odd.

More people are coming to terms with the fact that we are headed toward an economic hel1. Just very slowly; so far.

The protests will simply get bigger and bigger as more and more people see the fact that the debt party is coming to an end.

Really? That's pretty weak.

How is it weak? It was a valid statement alluding to beliefs we all seem to share on this forum. The is the United States. We have LOTS of people we disagree with. Lots of views. The Occupy movement to me are people who are pissed off with their perception of the status quo. They are taking a stand. Overall, a fairly peaceful non-violent stand.

It seems too easy to use them as an excuse for the police's proven lack of ability to do their job in our society. The conclusion that the Occupy movement prevented the police from doing their job, and thus this crime wouldn't have taken place is a great way of shifting blame.

I always ask myself in these situations, how long and to what lengths would I go if something I deeply believed in and held close to my core was threatened? What would all of us do if over the next 10 years we found our firearm ownership rights eroded to the point that New York and California's current laws were the nation wide norm, or worse?

That is how these people feel. Now, I don't agree with the vast majority of their complaints, but I fully agree with their right to protest, gather, and complain. I honestly hope that I would have the back bone to stand up for my own convictions for as long as these folks have theirs.

Be honest. You guys are anarchists. Nothing more.

If by anarchist you mean someone who doesn't see a state (in this use generic for government) as needed and often undesirable entity which exerts unwanted control on its people then there is a little bit of that in anyone who wants freedom.

But no, I'm not the classic definition of an anarchist. I'm much more of a fiscal conservative libertarian who wants a small central government, with more voted upon social reform at the individual state level (in this use individual US States). In short, much more of a person who wants to give to those funds/charities/programs which I see as beneficial rather than have them dictated to me by someone. Live and let live.

But not sure how that really feeds into the conversation? Agreeing with a persons right to exercise their rights = anarchy now? Hmm....

There are still Tea Party protests, should they stop? Hell, there are still KKK protests! (Although I'm sure we all agree THOSE should stop.)

No, this man died because he called a non-emergency line, and did not state it was an emergency, therefore the police treated it as not an emergency. Or this man died because he was incapable of defending himself. Or this man died because the assailant was mentally ill. Or this man died because someone killed him.

To put the blame on Occupy is disingenuous. Was the attacker someone that Occupy sent to kill the man? No? Then it's not Occupy's fault. Was it the Air Marshal Service's fault that 9/11 happened? No, it was the 19 hijacker's fault. It was Osama Bin Laden's fault. It was not the Air Marshal Service's fault. It was not Bush's fault. It was not United and American Airlines fault. It was not the air crew's fault. It was not the passengers' fault. This was not Occupy's fault.

As for anarchists, Portland has plenty of self-claimed anarchists. They are idiots. They protest for the sake of protest, for the sake of destroying property that isn't theirs, for the sake of anarchy. Occupy is not promoting anarchy. Yes, there are anarchists in the Occupy protests, just as there are anarchists at *ANY* protest in Portland, even Tea Party protests. Because that's what the anarchists do.

This incident has less to do with occupy & the cops, and more to do with a person unable to defend himself on his own property. No way would I go out to see if a trespasser had left my property unarmed.

I'm not surprised at the reaction here. Let's just say that you occupiers and I could not disagree more. Everything you protest about goes against my grain. I believe your "movement" is childish at best, not based on reality in the least. It is class warfare at its worst, the term useful idiots applies.

Have fun with that.

I'm not surprised at the reaction here. Let's just say that you occupiers and I could not disagree more. Everything you protest about goes against my grain. I believe your "movement" is childish at best, not based on reality in the least. It is class warfare at its worst, the term useful idiots applies.

Have fun with that.

Yes, it is class warfare. It has been class warfare for decades since the "trickle down" theory came about. It can't be more "class warfare" than "give us what we want, and eventually you MIGHT get something out of it." I notice that those against Occupy only call it class warfare when the under class fights back.

Perhaps a multi-million dollar settlement by the City for failing to protect the victim of this crime would be enough to get them to deal with the Occupy BS more expediciously and get back to protecting the public they have abandoned.

Maybe that is why "To Serve and Protect" doesn't appear on their patch?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top