JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Look this place up on Google maps. Go to street view and take a look around. There's nothing out there but empty fields and a few warehouses. Very odd. I don't know why the city would even care. I doubt if it's even very visible. I'll have to take a drive by and see.

"A business owner in Salem, Oregon, painted a mural honoring the American flag and the Marines who raised it at Iwo Jima. Most observers considered it a beautiful memorial and an attractive use of an otherwise nondescript wall. The owner of the business commissioned a local artist to create the tasteful and fetching display of patriotism.

The Salem City Council has ordered him to remove it, or face fines of up to $200 per day.

One commenter identified the problem, saying, "It has to do with the Salem City Public Art Committee. All public art is supposed to be sanctioned by them. Apparently, even on private property."

Several commenters on social media noted that the mural is on the back of the building, on private property and away from the entrance to the business, so the commercial sign code should have no bearing."

Or maybe some _______ found the "art" to be offensive.

interdasting.jpg

I can see that claim disguised as a "Govt Must Approve" issue.

Aloha, Mark

Maybe if we could get the hulks of stripped cars that litter the roadsides on the N. side of town desigated public art we could get the city to remove them and fine the druggies who leave them there. Some of the "public art" that .gov has put in front of state buildings is about as attractive as a junk car.

Look this place up on Google maps. Go to street view and take a look around. There's nothing out there but empty fields and a few warehouses. Very odd. I don't know why the city would even care. I doubt if it's even very visible. I'll have to take a drive by and see.

"A business owner in Salem, Oregon, painted a mural honoring the American flag and the Marines who raised it at Iwo Jima. Most observers considered it a beautiful memorial and an attractive use of an otherwise nondescript wall. The owner of the business commissioned a local artist to create the tasteful and fetching display of patriotism.

The Salem City Council has ordered him to remove it, or face fines of up to $200 per day.

One commenter identified the problem, saying, "It has to do with the Salem City Public Art Committee. All public art is supposed to be sanctioned by them. Apparently, even on private property."

Several commenters on social media noted that the mural is on the back of the building, on private property and away from the entrance to the business, so the commercial sign code should have no bearing."

If he wanted to be left alone all he had to do was put a mural of that felon George Floyd up there. The scum rats wouldn't say a thing. How pathetic is that.

A First Amendment issue, well represented in courts. I recall a case where a community board threatened a homeowner for flying a flag on his lawn. The homeowner won. If I lived in Salem, I'd get a group of artists together and spray paint those junk cars in artistic ways as well as hang artistic posters on every home. The Art Nazis of Salem should be placed in a dunking stool and dunked. If they lived, they'd be labeled as Nazis. I'd run them out of town, tarred and feathered!

If I lived in Salem, I'd get a group of artists together and spray paint those junk cars in artistic ways as well as hang artistic posters on every home.

It wouldn't work. those kinds of people have jobs and lives. You know? Work for a living? Instead of sucking off the public tit like like the trash at city hall and their ilk that live on the streets and riun our cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live about a mile from this, the owner is a super stand up guy, and is a major plus to the community, often helping low income neighbors get storm repairs done on his own time and his own dime! For the city to go after him, over this, there should be a massive outcry against the new city art clowncil, the Salem City Council, as well as the Mayor's office! This cannot be allowed, we cannot allow the city to dick-tate what is art, especially with everything else the city let's fly!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top