JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. Looks to me like the SPAC is exceeding it's authority. A lawsuit might be in order.

"The Salem Public Art Commission shall have the authority to select, acquire, receive, borrow, commission the design or fabrication of, and maintain, deaccession, document and register all works of art within the City's public art collection with funds from the Public Art Trust Fund. The Commission shall have the authority to advise the City Manager on the management, execution, installation, or placement of works of art, and administration of public art education activities."

Unless funds from the PARF were used, and this is a public building or city improvement project, the SPAC can shove it.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. Looks to me like the SPAC is exceeding it's authority. A lawsuit might be in order.

"The Salem Public Art Commission shall have the authority to select, acquire, receive, borrow, commission the design or fabrication of, and maintain, deaccession, document and register all works of art within the City's public art collection with funds from the Public Art Trust Fund. The Commission shall have the authority to advise the City Manager on the management, execution, installation, or placement of works of art, and administration of public art education activities."

Unless funds from the PARF were used, and this is a public building or city improvement project, the SPAC can shove it.
That's pretty much what I read of it, it's NOT a public or historical building, it's a small business outside the historic district, and thus, outside the terms of their "Approvals" process!

There's probably enough lack of clarity in the law to allow a left-leaning judicial system to sort it out!

That's pretty much what I read of it, it's NOT a public or historical building, it's a small business outside the historic district, and thus, outside the terms of their "Approvals" process!

There's probably enough lack of clarity in the law to allow a left-leaning judicial system to sort it out!
I see what they are doing after following the link to SRC chapter 900.

"Murals that are created without approval from the Salem Public Art Commission or are inconsistent with the conditions of approval from the Salem Public Art Commission are not public murals and are subject to SRC chapter 900."

Since it is outside the pervue of SPAC, they are going after him for violation of the city sign code. Now this paragraph from the original article makes sense:

"Several commenters on social media noted that the mural is on the back of the building, on private property and away from the entrance to the business, so the commercial sign code should have no bearing."

Unless there is more info than is provided in the article, it doesn't look like SPAC has anything to do with it. Furthermore, doesn't look like he could really solve the problem by giving title to the art to SPAC, since it is outside their pervue.

Last Edited:
Well I just sent a message to their lil art council, asking them about this. Is it the subject matter that they hate or is it because the owner of the mural didn't ask for permission from their lil clique.

We all know if it had been a BLM mural they'd not have had a problem with it.

Well I just sent a message to their lil art council, asking them about this. Is it the subject matter that they hate or is it because the owner of the mural didn't ask for permission from their lil clique.

We all know if it had been a BLM mural they'd not have had a problem with it.
It's not really clear who objected or why, but after skimming through the commercial sign code, my guess would be that the city's basis for action was that he did not obtain a permit for the "sign."

How is it a sign when he's not advertising something?
Beacuse of this provision of the code:

"Murals that are created without approval from the Salem Public Art Commission or are inconsistent with the conditions of approval from the Salem Public Art Commission are not public murals and are subject to SRC chapter 900."

But I agree with you 100%.

The "rulers" make up the rules.
That's the democrap agenda.
Send all of these substandard pieces of sh!t to China concentration camps to make us sneakers of something instead of little five year old Chinese girls.
Somebody had to say it ^^^^. :s0155:

I live about a mile from this, the owner is a super stand up guy, and is a major plus to the community, often helping low income neighbors get storm repairs done on his own time and his own dime! For the city to go after him, over this, there should be a massive outcry against the new city art clowncil, the Salem City Council, as well as the Mayor's office! This cannot be allowed, we cannot allow the city to dick-tate what is art, especially with everything else the city let's fly!
Get the guy to start a fund raising site to fight the scum who got elected. I will gladly pitch in even though I am no where near him.

Just drove by the business, it's not too obvious unless your looking for it, not as big or in your face as the story makes it seem!
Clicky to Enbiggen
PXL_20220102_231403791.jpg
What's you think?

Just drove by the business, it's not too obvious unless your looking for it, not as big or in your face as the story makes it seem!
Clicky to Enbiggen
View attachment 1099834
What's you think?
It obviously pissed somebody off. Probably some state employee on his way home from work at 2:30 pm on Friday.

Get the guy to start a fund raising site to fight the scum who got elected. I will gladly pitch in even though I am no where near him.
This is a good idea. At least to help pay the cost of a court challenge. I'm going to have a conversation with a lawyer friend next time I see him and find out what he thinks.

Easy to see some "Karen" who hates the U.S., complained. Guy needs to fight it and I suspect I am FAR from the only person who will help fund his fight if he chooses too.
I think that's probably what happened, might even be one of the city art clowncil members that lives out that way, decided to flex their new position and stomp this guy to show how powerful they think they are! I was going to stop in and talk to the owner, but the place was pretty packed, so just turned around and went the long way to Costco!

A First Amendment issue, well represented in courts. I recall a case where a community board threatened a homeowner for flying a flag on his lawn. The homeowner won. If I lived in Salem, I'd get a group of artists together and spray paint those junk cars in artistic ways as well as hang artistic posters on every home. The Art Nazis of Salem should be placed in a dunking stool and dunked. If they lived, they'd be labeled as Nazis. I'd run them out of town, tarred and feathered!
And make the theme patriotic to get them good and triggered. :)

Too many laws and too many busybodies and block captains
YEP!! There has always been a LOT of people who BEG to have some small amount of "perceived authority" over others. HOA's, while they started out as a good idea so often devolve into this. Where some people remind me of that South Park episode with Cartman running around yelling at everyone to "respect my authority". I have often found myself getting far more joy than I should playing with people like this. Just to watch them run around with hair on fire.

YEP!! There has always been a LOT of people who BEG to have some small amount of "perceived authority" over others. HOA's, while they started out as a good idea so often devolve into this. Where some people remind me of that South Park episode with Cartman running around yelling at everyone to "respect my authority". I have often found myself getting far more joy than I should playing with people like this. Just to watch them run around with hair on fire.
Positions of authority attract those who crave authority. It's not going to be all of them, but it's a great place to look for them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top