JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Talking to Vortex proved to be very much worthwhile. They are offering to upgrade my Crossfire ($250) to a similarly equipped Viper ($599) for $150. I think I'm going to take them up on it.

The Viper shipped today and my wife got me a cantilever mount for my birthday to allow for the 4" eye relief. This rig is coming together. Now if the stainless barrel comes in I might be back in the coyote business.

there is no way to compare the the accuracy difference between two different types of steel, as each barrel is different anyway, but there have been plenty of matches won with CM and stainless. I have rifles with CM barrels that will out shoot some of the other rifles I have with stainless barrels, The point being that the quality of the individual barrel and how it is chambered and crowned is far more imperative to accuracy than the type of steel used.

there is no way to compare the the accuracy difference between two different types of steel, as each barrel is different anyway, but there have been plenty of matches won with CM and stainless. I have rifles with CM barrels that will out shoot some of the other rifles I have with stainless barrels, The point being that the quality of the individual barrel and how it is chambered and crowned is far more imperative to accuracy than the type of steel used.

You're absolutely correct. I do wonder, though, what differences there are in how a stainless barrel acts when heated. I know somebody I might ask.

Well, the Viper 6.5-20x50 from Vortex arrived Saturday. I had a chance to actually play with it a little on Sunday. It's very nice, and definitely a step up from the Crossfire of roughly the same specs. The lifetime transferrable warranty has allowed me to upgrade to a mid-priced scope for a very small upgrade fee. Still waiting for the stainless Varminter barrel that's on backorder. Then I can put this rig back together and get back to coyote extermination.

Well, the Viper 6.5-20x50 from Vortex arrived Saturday. I had a chance to actually play with it a little on Sunday. It's very nice, and definitely a step up from the Crossfire of roughly the same specs. The lifetime transferrable warranty has allowed me to upgrade to a mid-priced scope for a very small upgrade fee. Still waiting for the stainless Varminter barrel that's on backorder. Then I can put this rig back together and get back to coyote extermination.

Let me konw how this all works out. I hunted one season with a varmint upper and 6-24 scope. If you are hunting correctly you don't need or want this set up. Most of the coyotes i've shot have been under 75 yards and a number around 25 yards. Sounds more like a Sage Rat setup?

Let me konw how this all works out. I hunted one season with a varmint upper and 6-24 scope. If you are hunting correctly you don't need or want this set up. Most of the coyotes i've shot have been under 75 yards and a number around 25 yards. Sounds more like a Sage Rat setup?

I hunt a combination of wheat fields, sagebrush, lava flows, and canyons. I've called coyotes in to 25 yards, yes, but I've also shot them at 200 yards. Last year I shot one at 100 yards and barely missed its companion running full out at about 200 yards. I had a bolt action at that point.

This rifle will also see some sage rat duty.

I hunt a combination of wheat fields, sagebrush, lava flows, and canyons. I've called coyotes in to 25 yards, yes, but I've also shot them at 200 yards. Last year I shot one at 100 yards and barely missed its companion running full out at about 200 yards. I had a bolt action at that point.

This rifle will also see some sage rat duty.

ARs are great for coyote hunting. I just switched to a different AR set up after using something like what you are going with. Mine was close to 12 pounds and the metal handgaurd was like holding an ice cube in december. The 6-24 made it hard to find close coyotes even at the lowest power. Then the fact that after days and days of 2 guys hunting we never needed to make a single shot over 300 yards which could be done with a 2-7 power no problem.

ARs are great for coyote hunting. I just switched to a different AR set up after using something like what you are going with. Mine was close to 12 pounds and the metal handgaurd was like holding an ice cube in december. The 6-24 made it hard to find close coyotes even at the lowest power. Then the fact that after days and days of 2 guys hunting we never needed to make a single shot over 300 yards which could be done with a 2-7 power no problem.

I figure I can always change uppers or optics if I decide to. But I want the long range tack driver capability too. I used to shoot competition and I just can't tolerate a set up where I'm not the weakest link.

Still waiting for a 24" stainless Varminter barrel. They are back ordered everywhere. I've tried several different parts dealers. It's the same all over.

Update: Remington (Bushmaster) repairs department now reports that my barrel should be in within 30 days. They've had the rifle since October and I've seen the barrels backordered everywhere I've looked all this time, so I don't think they've been lying to me. Prior to this their reply to when barrels are expected to be available has always been "We don't know."

I had issues with several Vortex Crossfire scopes that would not held their zero. They would wonder under recoil on my .308 Winchester calibered bolt gun. These Crossfires were the 1" tubed $99 specials that SWFA used to have the exclusive on and have since been discontinued. I had 2 of them and they both did the same thing. I emailed Vortex and they had me send them in for repair. I got 2 different scopes back that were repairs. One was a 30mm tubed version (an upgrade!!), but it had a fingerprint on the lense....not a good sign. I thought the 30mm tubed scope might have been a conscious upgrade on their part for the hassle. I later emailed them to ask if that was the case and was told that no it must have been a packaging error, but I was welcome to keep it. I had to get 30mm rings and when I finally got to shoot the rifle, the scope settings still jumped under recoil. I again emailed them and they were willing to let me replace both those scopes plus another $175 and get 2 new scopes from their Viper line. I ended up having to sell them off, but was happy enough with the way they treated me to buy another of the SWFA $99 exclusive scopes for a rimfire rifle of mine (works great on it with its limited recoil) and later the Midway exclusive Viper HS scope. That Midway Viper is really nice with the matched adjustments and reticle.

OK, I found a 24" SS Varminter barrel at Fulton Armory for $130. I bought it and then called Remington to cancel any work orders and send my Bushmaster back to me. I installed the new barrel and the Vortex Viper scope. Went to the range and found that all is now well. I put about 20 rounds through it (I had 3 other rifles to sight in that day) and got decent 1" groups at 100 yds. I was hoping for better, but I think accuracy will improve with a little more use. I ended up shortening the original stock barrel and selling it. The shortening to 22" and re-crowning seem to have cured it of its ills. The buyer seems happy with it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top