JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Winchester pre-64 model 70 308 featherweight.

Most recent UPDATE EDIT: Nevermind! I got it! Much easier than I thought and did not require full selector dis/reassembly. :s0155:
It looks like they simply reassembled the firing pin with the selector in the fire position which locked it up. Pulling the spring allowed repositioning of firing pin and the selector to the half-cock position then reassembling. Problem solved!

I'll leave some of the original in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Original in part:

This is no fun! I had it reblued and it would appear that when they put the bolt back together they assembled the selector in the wrong position(?). It's stuck in the fire position but will not move into half cock or into safe. It goes about half way into half cock, but it's a hard stop there. (And yes. It was no fun removing the firing pin assembly without being able to lock the pin back with the half cock 🤣)

I figured I would pick the brains of the more learned around here and see what your thoughts are.

First for identification
1670065912794.jpeg

1670065945380.jpeg

Note the firing pin state.
1670065962161.jpeg

This is that collar. (no typical spring retainer)
1670065979189.jpeg

Edit: Ah... 90 degree turn locking collar. One unknown solved.

Last Edited:
Someone was asking how to compress the firing pin when it's released like that without marring the cam. I use the boot lace method... if that's of any help to anyone.

I'm "low tech"! :s0155:

They sell a specialty tool, of course, but kind of spendy.

Edit: Found this...

Last Edited:
Anyone happen to have specs on the firing pin spring? Uncompressed length?

It looks like I'm getting about 5.7lb's on it. Civilian primers... that should be about right but I admit I have no idea what it "should" be. Anyone?

It's a pre-64 and I know it's orginal. ;) Its the later verison though... not the earlier ground flat spring, but I don't think that matters... if anyone has an armorers book or something for it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top