JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will do that. I have to say that as far as optics goes, I've never gotten better customer care and service than Vortex. I'll report back with what Bushmaster has to say.

Please keep this post up dated. I am looking for an AR and I want to see how Bushmaster treats you.

Interesting thing...when I got an email reply from the Bushmaster webmaster about an order that hadn't gone through it was from [email protected], and the address they gave to ship my Bushmaster to in Ilion, NY resolves to Remington Powdered Metal Works. Has Remington bought Bushmaster?

Interesting thing...when I got an email reply from the Bushmaster webmaster about an order that hadn't gone through it was from [email protected], and the address they gave to ship my Bushmaster to in Ilion, NY resolves to Remington Powdered Metal Works. Has Remington bought Bushmaster?

I seem to recall something along those lines.

Need a scorecard to keep track of who owns who in the gun industry.

H

I seem to recall something along those lines.

Need a scorecard to keep track of who owns who in the gun industry.

H

Interesting...the inscription on the top of the barrel on my 1873 Remington rolling block sporter is "Remington & Sons, Ilion, NY" which is where I sent my Bushmaster. The street address shows a large factory complex on Google maps in Ilion, NY and it's labeled "Remington Powdered Metal Works".

Interesting...the inscription on the top of the barrel on my 1873 Remington rolling block sporter is "Remington & Sons, Ilion, NY" which is where I sent my Bushmaster. The street address shows a large factory complex on Google maps in Ilion, NY and it's labeled "Remington Powdered Metal Works".

You got tricked! They are going to grind your rifle into powdered metal and make peace sign necklaces out of it!

JK.

Too many modern weapons start as powdered metal. I generally like forged, machined parts personally.

H

I hope you don't have any troubles with the service work because it has not been known to be good lately. The reason it went to Remington is that Freedom Group now owns all of these companies:

Remington Arms
Bushmaster Firearms International
DPMS Panther Arms
Marlin
H & R Firearms
NEF
Dakota Arms
LC Smith
Parker
AAC – Advanced Armament Corporation
Barnes Bullets
EOTAC
INTC

Hopefully things get better but right now QC and CS is in the crapper for Remington and Marlin

Well, that was quick. I UPS'd the rifle to the Bushmaster address last Wednesday and got confirmation of delivery yesterday. I also got an email from Remington Arms (not Bushmaster) advising me that my repairs were awaiting approval. The email was a link to the Remington Arms repair site, and it included a repair case number and the firearm serial number. The web page advised me that repairs were awaiting my approval and to call their 800 number.

I called this morning and got a helpful person on the phone who told me that the diagnosis was a "pitted barrel in the muzzle area" and that diagnosis, a replacement barrel, testing, and return shipping would total $353. They did not handle it under warranty because the rifle was 5 years old, I'm not the original owner, and the damage was not a manufacturing defect. Fair enough. A replacement Varminter barrel goes for around $375 to $400 at retail, so a new barrel, installation, testing, and return shipping for $353 doesn't sound too bad. It looks like I'm buying the barrel at about a 25% discount from retail.

Hopefully, when I get the rifle back it will be the tack driver that it should be. I'll report back.

No, it was the chrome moly, vanadium steel fluted barrel. And upon further review, it looks like the barrel without accessories goes for about $315, so they are charging about $40 for diagnosis, labor, testing, and shipping. Still not too bad.

I'm wondering what would cause the issue they described. I don't want to have it occur again.

barrel pitting happens very easy in barrels that are not oiled before storage of any length. I keep a oiled bore snake for just that purpose.

My next-to-last step is to oil the bore on every weapon I clean. Apparently, one of the previous owners wasn't too careful.

BTW, my new 24" DCM, fluted barrel is on back order. The Remington folks seem to be trying to be helpful and cheerful, but they need a new barrel in order to complete the repairs. I was thinking maybe I should tell them to put a stainless 24" barrel on it instead, or maybe the 20" Predator barrel if they have one in stock. The 8:1 twist in the Predator barrel would let me shoot heavier bullets accurately.

I had a predator upper and thought it would be great, but you can only shoot a bullet so long in a AR platform, 2.260 c.o.l. The 75 grain bullet is the only real improvement over 1/9 twist. and you can only fit so much powder in there and still keep the cartridge under max length. With Hornady's new 53 grain V-max Superformance at 3,400 fps and a bc of .290 you are better off with a slower twist. I think a 1/9 twist stainless barrel is the way to go. A stainless barrel will out last a chrome molly barrel also. Just my 2cents

I had a predator upper and thought it would be great, but you can only shoot a bullet so long in a AR platform, 2.260 c.o.l. The 75 grain bullet is the only real improvement over 1/9 twist. and you can only fit so much powder in there and still keep the cartridge under max length. With Hornady's new 53 grain V-max Superformance at 3,400 fps and a bc of .290 you are better off with a slower twist. I think a 1/9 twist stainless barrel is the way to go. A stainless barrel will out last a chrome molly barrel also. Just my 2cents

Maybe I'll give them a call on Monday and see if they will go with a 24" stainless. It's the same price.

If this is a hunting platform I think you'll be much happier with the stainless barrel and a slower twist. Even a 1/12 is OK with the 53 grain V-max, and that bullet in the superformance ammo is leaps and bounds above anything else. The 1/9 will shoot it, but it might not be the best performer. The 1/9 will shoot the 69 matchking with compressed loads of varget. So it really depends on what the rifle will be used for the most.

I called Remington this morning and got transferred over to Bushmaster repairs to see how long the backorder on the chrome moly barrel would be. Everybody was polite, helpful, and apologetic for keeping me on hold for a minute or two. The Bushmaster guy said there was no difference in accuracy between the stainless and the standard chrome moly barrel on the Varminter. Since they were the same price, and he indicated that all the other parts would work with the stainless barrel, I told him to change the work order to call for a stainless 24" barrel. I think I'll be a lot happier with that. It still didn't solve the backorder problem. The stainless barrel is also on backorder. I'll update when I know more.

Barrel composition does not determine accuracy, but a stainless barrel is harder than cm and will last longer, not to mention it will resist rust and pitting better. Something we all need here in the PNW.

Barrel material probably does have an effect on accuracy. Different metals have different coefficients of thermal expansion, different crystalline structures, different resonant frequencies, and different capacities to harbor stress. I have no idea how stainless compares to CM in these areas. I've worked with stainless a lot, and I'm familiar with how it work hardens and how it acts under even mild heating. Stainless will easily work harden just from the heat of a drill bit. So yes, I'm wondering what the potential differences in these barrels will be.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top