JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, I took my AR out for the first time last month and had a great time. It didn't start out so well though. I tried hitting a target at 50 yards with Irons and I was lucky to get on target. One I suck and the front post covered most if not all of the target. I would like to practice with my BUIS and become proficient, but my question is, what is the limit for the average shooter with irons? My accuracy is okay with my 10/22 at 50 yards with the factory irons but I suck hard core with my AR. I threw a 4 power scope on there and I made a 30 round 2 inch group at 50 yards after sighting it in. I know that isn't impressive but I wasn't even trying hard I was shooting semi rapid fire and my breathing was all over the place, when I shot that group. How far out do you guys shoot irons out to?

as far as a cheap front site, you need to find one that is made for a gas block mount. yhm and midwest industries might be some of the cheaper if you want a flip up.

I took my AR out for the first time on Sunday and this is what I did....I started out at 25mm and got my hits close to where I wanted them. I started out using a sighting in target. Then I moved out to 50mm and did the routine all over again. Then I switched to using playing cards as my targets from 50mm. I'm not looking for the worlds smallest groups (well, not right now anyway). I was only looking for consistent hits on the card at 50mm.

I was using the same sight picture showed in the post above.

Marine Corps starts out at 200 yards (Battleground Zero) then 300 and 500 yards with iron sights. bulzeye posted an excellent picture of what your sight picture should be. I will admit with my eyesight now I might not be able to see the target at 200 yards with irons but that is what your AR is capable of shooting.
Now 50mm I think I could do well. Ha-ha
Mike

Thanks for the info and pics, they really help and make me feel a little dumb for now knowing. Covering up the target with the front sight is how I shoot my glock and 10/22 and it works for me. I am however relitively new to AR/shooting paper for accuracy purposes. I have mainly shot at pop cans and bottles with my 10/22 at distances upto 100 yards. I am fairly decent with my 10/22 against pop cans at that range. I figured AR was the simular sight picture. It's good to know the right way now, I will try again next time I am out, hopefully with better results. Thanks again for the help. Does anybody know of any good inexpensive front sight options? My gas block has picatinny on top to mount one too.

Thanks for the info and pics, they really help and make me feel a little dumb for now knowing. Covering up the target with the front sight is how I shoot my glock and 10/22 and it works for me. I am however relitively new to AR/shooting paper for accuracy purposes. I have mainly shot at pop cans and bottles with my 10/22 at distances upto 100 yards. I am fairly decent with my 10/22 against pop cans at that range. I figured AR was the simular sight picture. It's good to know the right way now, I will try again next time I am out, hopefully with better results. Thanks again for the help. Does anybody know of any good inexpensive front sight options? My gas block has picatinny on top to mount one too.

dont feel dumb,it's not a skill were born with it's learned by asking questions like you did and much practice.

I have been told that most women in the Marine Corps shoot better than men. The reason is women will actually listen to instruction because they have not shot before and think they know everything about shooting like some men do. So no need to feel dumb at all.
Mike

If you are practicing for the purpose of defensive response to a threat, 50 yards will get you a ticket to the Grand Jury. Aside from sight pictures etc., most defensive actions occur within about 7 yards, 21 ft. If the subject of your animosity is much beyond that the cops are going to be suspicious of your claim that you "were in fear of your life". If you are contemplating using an AR for defensive purposes you might take into consideration the fact that in an urban area you are going to be spraying .223 rounds throughout the neighborhood. Can we say, "collateral damage"? Then, maybe I didn't fully understand the question?

Hi guys, I took my AR out for the first time last month and had a great time. It didn't start out so well though. I tried hitting a target at 50 yards with Irons and I was lucky to get on target. One I suck and the front post covered most if not all of the target. I would like to practice with my BUIS and become proficient, but my question is, what is the limit for the average shooter with irons? My accuracy is okay with my 10/22 at 50 yards with the factory irons but I suck hard core with my AR. I threw a 4 power scope on there and I made a 30 round 2 inch group at 50 yards after sighting it in. I know that isn't impressive but I wasn't even trying hard I was shooting semi rapid fire and my breathing was all over the place, when I shot that group. How far out do you guys shoot irons out to?

Hi whitebuffalo. p.m. me with your email address and i will send you a pdf training manual if you want.
I am zero'd at 300 meters with iron sights and occasionally try to shoot out to 500 meters iron sights for practice.

If you are contemplating using an AR for defensive purposes you might take into consideration the fact that in an urban area you are going to be spraying .223 rounds throughout the neighborhood. Can we say, "collateral damage"? Then, maybe I didn't fully understand the question?

do you mean from inside your house through the walls and out into the neighborhood? If that's what you mean than you shouldn't use FMJ as home defense ammunition and you should be using something like hornady TAP ammunition.

This: Project Appleseed Home
If you want to really learn how to shoot your rifle accurately and learn a little history of the events of April 19, 1775 (Lexington and Concord, for example). You can use your 10/22 or AR-15 with any sights you want. An excellent, 2-day training course in rifle marksmanship at a very good price.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top