JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I realized a little while back that I don't have a Buck knife of any type anymore.
Buck being such an American icon I need to correct the lack. So in searching around I came across the Buck custom shop and the plot thickened.

I'm considering a 119 model, black ceracoated, brass pommel and guard and either black palm wood or "shokwood" for the grip. Price range is between $250. to $350.

We all know Buck is a great brand, but do you think it would be worth the money? $350. will buy a pretty nice knife of any type.

(I also only have one automatic and with bad arthritis it could be good to have a backup as well.

What do you think?

Last Edited:
Thanks guys, I knew you'd help me keep my financial priorities straight. :p

The other 119 I'm considering is a standard model but with a stag handle and it's much less money... $169. and different enough as well as budget friendlier.

I'll try and post a few pics.

I've spent way too much on .22's to judge anyone's purchase. Only thing I'll add is: if they have different steel options, go for something a bit higher quality than the 420HC that's on the regular 119's. It's a good steal, don't get me wrong...just saying there are better.

Here's some screenshots. Unfortunately the detail is poor.

Shokwood, brass:

Screenshot_20200714-103444_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200714-103444_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200714-103528_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200714-103540_Chrome.jpg 0119EKSSH2018__30448.jpg

I thought maybe a 75th Anniversary model would be good and the brass tarnishes badly so maybe aluminum instead.
Then I thought the stag is nice and classic, but there's none that I can find. Then I spotted a bone handled model and had a choice of two.

I bought the one in the pic. There were quite a few pics and the bone appears darker than it shows, but who knows? There's some nice aging and cracks in the bone as best I can tell.
I'll soak it in mineral oil overnight when it gets here.

My apologies for going south on the custom shop thing, but I think a somewhat different version of a classic will do, as well as being kinder on what I laughingly call my budget.

Screenshot_20200714-121550_Chrome.jpg

Last Edited:
I wanted to buy one with the red micarta handle but all the reviews talked about loose handles and poor overall quality kept me from buying one.

That was a concern for me as well. Apparently the guards have a tendency to be loose.
I figure with all the pics I saw, this particular one looked really tight.

The knife's an icon and it should be perfect. It isn't expected to be custom grade, but it should be correctly assembled and finished.

I realized a little while back that I don't have a Buck knife of any type anymore.
Buck being such an American icon I need to correct the lack. So in searching around I came across the Buck custom shop and the plot thickened.

I'm considering a 119 model, black ceracoated, brass pommel and guard and either black palm wood or "shokwood" for the grip. Price range is between $250. to $350.

We all know Buck is a great brand, but do you think it would be worth the money? $350. will buy a pretty nice knife of any type.

(I also only have one automatic and with bad arthritis it could be good to have a backup as well.

What do you think?
You could go with Buck's 110 Auto Elite and save the price of going with a custom knife,

I plan on getting a 110 sometime in the future. In the meantime, I bought the bone handled 119 and a 75th Anniversary model with the medallion in the handle.

GO for it - whatever trips your trigger or knife tastes!

I like REGULAR and CUSTOM - designed personally made knives depending on how it fits my hands and what it looks like - quality made. Name brand or by a well known knife maker.

I own MORE knives than guns now and have for several years now.

I have several Buck knives.

I like the brand and when I stopped using folding/pocket knives due to my hand issues... I went to all fixed blades.

Buck, Ka-Bar, etc.

My Buck knives are Made in Idaho and my Ka-Bar knives are Made in New York.

(I have a few other famous brands too.)

The Buck folding/pocket or belt carry knives that I gave my husband and to a few people as gifts were made in Idaho too. They were the classic Buck 110 and the Buck '55' knives.

My Buck fixed blade knives:

I have two Buck # 119 knives - one regular one and one 75th anniversary one.

I have a Woodsman's, a Vanguard, a #113 Ranger Skinner - almost a daily carry knife, and several pak or pack light Buck knives. I have 2 nice Buck small/medium kitchen knives too.

I may get one more BUCK fixed blade knife for a gift too. I have not made up my mind yet.

Best wishes to you.

Cate
PS: My MT husband owns many brand name and SEVERAL custom made knives made by very skilled and well known knife makers around here in the PNW region, Idaho and Montana area too.

Last Edited:
I plan on getting a 110 sometime in the future. In the meantime, I bought the bone handled 119 and a 75th Anniversary model with the medallion in the handle.

Okay and I just saw this here. Congrats on the two knives!

May they serve you well.

My Buck #119 75th anniversary model is like my plain 119. My husband saw the anniversary one and decided that I needed it to go with my standard 119!

Cate

Last Edited:
I've got a standard ebony handled 119 from about 40 years ago. It's been on a series of elk hunts, but never was used. It's rather a mate to the 124 of special memory. They make a comforting handful that brings old memories of the days I just had to have them.

I've spent way too much on .22's to judge anyone's purchase. Only thing I'll add is: if they have different steel options, go for something a bit higher quality than the 420HC that's on the regular 119's. It's a good steal, don't get me wrong...just saying there are better.
Bear in mind that many of the Buck Knives are being produced in Paul Bos heat-treated and tempered CPM-S30V steel hardened to between 59.5 and 61 on the scale of Rockwell hardness. It holds an outstanding edge and the satin finish is easy on the eyes.

I really appreciate mine.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR