JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, some people don't like how 'harsh' a bronze brush can be on a muzzle crown, you know if you have a very high end long range setup.

The other thing is, if you're using a regular/ammonia style copper cleaner, it'll make a mess of bronze brushes and give you false positives (try MPro7 copper for getting round those two problems)

Otherwise, it's just a personal choice.

So, some people don't like how 'harsh' a bronze brush can be on a muzzle crown, you know if you have a very high end long range setup.

The other thing is, if you're using a regular/ammonia style copper cleaner, it'll make a mess of bronze brushes and give you false positives (try MPro7 copper for getting round those two problems)

Otherwise, it's just a personal choice.

all I've been using is Hopps 9, is that regular/ammonia style? Is the "false positive" when the patch comes out kinda green looking?

Is the "false positive" when the patch comes out kinda green looking?
I believe so.

When I would shoot hot loads with lead bullets out of my 357 and 41 Mag revolvers, the bronze brush did a better job of scrubbing the lead... Didn't have to do that too many times before I switched to jacketed for those.

I prefer the nylon bristled brushes even though I have bronze and copper ones too. Shooting all jacketed ammo I have found nylon to be very good down the bore. Mostly I use the smaller metal brushes on hard to reach and clean areas. I go gentle with them and have done no harm that I can see. I am a life long Hoppe's #9 user. I like the smell unlike some of the more modern stuff that reminds me of fish guts. LOL

I believe s

good to know about 5he ammonia based solvent reacting to the bronze brush... I used to keep cleaning but would give up. I recently picked up a nylon brush randomly and found it "cleaned faster" which is why I was wondering which is better.

so if it only comes down to potention muzzle crown damage with Bronze brushes, is that more of an opinion than fact? I dont own any high end long range rifles ....although I do have 1 Green Mountain barrel thats new if those are considered "high end".....?

Your experience with the cleaning ability of the nylon brush is more likely to be newness and quality of the brush.
I have what appear to be pretty reasonable regular brushes but their cleaning ability is sub par at best.

A new gunslick brush performed a *lot* better.

So long as you have a good brush, be it nylon or otherwise, use good technique in the barrel, I would not worry about damaging the muzzle.

Nylon with copper cleaners to remove gilding metal build-up.
Bronze brush with Hoppes to remove carbon build up.
Bronze brush with elbow grease to remove lead.

If you're not shooting cast, you can pretty much skip the last step.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top