JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to get my Surefire muzzle brake off (.223), and I believe it was installed w/ rockset (I think this because I remember the guy who built it for me said that I wasn't going to have an issue with the brake coming off, and because when I torched the device it started smoking). Last night I put the upper in a vice, and torched the absolutely crap out of the end of the barrel... or at least enough that it didn't make me feel uncomfortable. I can't get this damn thing to budge.

I don't have an upper vice block, so I simply used two aluminum plates on each side so that it wouldn't mar the rail, and used a propane torch on the muzzle device until it started losing its color. Had it tight in the vice, another guy keep extra tension on the upper while applying more heat, and I had a wrench w/ a decent sized cheater bar, and the damn thing would not budge. I've seen tons and tons of people say that they've had no issues getting devices off that have been installed w/ rockset. The only other thing I can think of to do is get a legitimate upper block and an armorers wrench (though I don't see the wrench making a difference here, the tools I was using fit perfectly snug on the device...19mm wrench), and go to town with an acetylene torch that I have, but I'm concerned that if I use that heavy of a torch, it could warp/damage the barrel, and that's the last thing that I want... I currently have the end of the gun sitting in a pot of water and intend to leave it for a day or so, I've seen a few people say that can help out with breaking down the rockset.

Any tips/tricks/ideas? I'd rather not pay somebody to do something that seems so simple, but if that's what it comes down to then it is what it is.

Swapping from a SFMB to a SOLGW Nox, trying to make it so people don't hate me so much when they're shooting next to me, and so that it doesn't make such a massive fireball..

The water doesn't need to be boiling since it's a high-temp setting compound. Just let it soak overnight and you're GTG.

Flexbar recommends a 20 minutes to "a few hours" soak in water to become pliable.
That's what I was hoping for. I'm going to order an amazon upper block (should've done that in the first place... idiot), and let it soak, and hopefully that does it. Should I bother with attempting to reheat it when I go to bust it off, or will that only create issues?

Last night I put the upper in a vice, and torched the absolutely crap out of the end of the barrel... or at least enough that it didn't make me feel uncomfortable.
It doesn't take much heat to scorch the finish.

go to town with an acetylene torch that I have, but I'm concerned that if I use that heavy of a torch, it could warp/damage the barrel,
I'd say there are real concerns about this possibility.

I'd rather not pay somebody to do something that seems so simple, but if that's what it comes down to then it is what it is.
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here, but sometimes you have to spend the money to keep from bubbleguming-up a firearm. Just because it seems simple, doesn't mean you yourself can do it simply.

Again, I say this with sincerity: Are you certain that the muzzle brake doesn't have a spot weld tacking it in place? I've had a factory Colt with such an arrangement. Because it had a short barrel but was being sold as a rifle so the Vortex was "permanently" installed with a tack weld. I got the part in the OP about it being a build that you were familiar with, smoking parts, etc. but there is always the unexpected.

It doesn't take much heat to scorch the finish.

I'd say there are real concerns about this possibility.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here, but sometimes you have to spend the money to keep from bubbleguming-up a firearm. Just because it seems simple, doesn't mean you yourself can do it simply.

Again, I say this with sincerity: Are you certain that the muzzle brake doesn't have a spot weld tacking it in place? I've had a factory Colt with such an arrangement. Because it had a short barrel but was being sold as a rifle so the Vortex was "permanently" installed with a tack weld. I got the part in the OP about it being a build that you were familiar with, smoking parts, etc. but there is always the unexpected.
I watched it get assembled, I just don't remember if he used rockset or loctite on the brake. I'm thinking rockset simply because it was smoking when I started heating it up.

I'm totally willing to pay somebody if that's what it comes down to, I was just looking for insight & tips if there was something big I was missing. I'm going to let it keep soaking for a day or so, then plop it back in the vice once the block shows up. If I can't get it off after that attempt, I'll take it to a smith. I'd much rather pay somebody else to do it right versus me F up my upper.

I've never used Rockset, but I'm wondering if heating it changed the properties of the compound so that now it won't come off with water.

I've never used Rockset, but I'm wondering if heating it changed the properties of the compound so that now it won't come off with water.
I took that approach because I've seen multiple forum posts of people saying they heated it up and it came off just fine. I sure hope I'm not the odd one out...

Shouldn't this be done by clamping the barrel in the vice (with blocks) instead of holding onto the handguard, sending the torque through the receiver?
Not picking apart the OP's question or technique. I'm asking because I have a similar issue.

Shouldn't this be done by clamping the barrel in the vice (with blocks) instead of holding onto the handguard, sending the torque through the receiver?
Not picking apart the OP's question or technique. I'm asking because I have a similar issue.
Criticize away! Once I got a proper upper vice block, it came off pretty easily with a little bit of muscle. I did soak the device in warm water for a solid 36 hours prior to busting it off. If that helped or not, I can't say, but it did come off pretty easily once I had the proper clamping tools.

Ditto the barrel vice blocks. I made one with a couple of pieces of 2x4 that I put together in a vice and drilled a hole though about the size of the barrel. Using some strips of old leather glove will lock the barrel solid.

IMG_20230117_151452407.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany