JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was cleaning my AK's today- the only one to get the bronze brush treatment was the Maadi (top). The Saiga was not dirty enough and no brush will ever touch the type 56!!! But… The Maadi was incredibly dirty with loads of carbon build up all over the bolt carrier. Im not sure what type of finish is on the Maadi- is it just a thinned out blued finish at this point? I began scrubbing away with my brush… The spot marked on the bolt carrier was already bare as shown- but I noticed that my bronze brush only removed more finish. Should I omit using any types of metal brushes in the future? I usually use a regular tooth brush but if there is lots of build up then I do break out the bronze brush. In my mind, not a huge issue for this rifle specifically as it is a post ban converted ARM that already has an incredibly worn finish (as most Maadi's do)- I suppose it only adds to the aesthetic at this point

AC413896-86E4-4FD6-81E2-DBE795C782EA.jpeg 3ABD3D13-27F1-4F32-A09D-32263CE4C9BE.jpeg

0000 Steel Wool

Use it on my finishes with some Rem oil and never had it damage a gun. Doesn't take a lot of elbow grease.

As with everything try a small un-noticeable place first as YMMV.

Steel wool can impregnate the metal finish with tiny steel fragments that eventually propagate rust... anybody worth their salt that works on fine firearm finishes knows this. Also, attacking any finish with an abrasive brush is bound to have unwanted consequences. Lesson learned, it's unfortunate that it was learned on a unique and fairly rare firearm.

Edit: bronze may be soft, but your dirty bronze brush likely picked up very upbrasive compounds that ruined the finish. Use Ballistol, a soft rag, and patience from now on.

I'm not an AK guy (one of those nerds is sure to show up and correct me), but the finish you have removed appears to be a paint of some type. Paints can grow soft with repeated exposures to cleaning solvents/oils. This was likely the case with your carrier considering the age of the rifle. Unfortunately, the writing may have been on the wall regardless of cleaning method. In general, on anything painted, I would recommend nothing harsher than a rag or nylon brush with some CLR/Hoppes/Clenzoil.

That being said, I have been using a brass brush for years on all sorts of parkerized/blued/in the white/plated finishes without issue. Just recently purchased a Colt 1902 with light surface rust on the slide and frame. Cleaned up very well with said brush and some Cleanzoil.

I have a standard AK cleaning kit for the barrel an such but I always use a nylon brush on the outside of my firearm. I have chamber maid brush and bought some nylon brushes. The chamber maid has threads so you attach a brush if it has the corrected threads. I do not remember where I got my chamber maid brush attachment. Or you can get a

https://www.opticsplanet.com/pro-shot-chamber-maid-ar15-m4-m16-chamber-star-swabs-tool-set.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392638630027?hash=item5b6b16088b:g:H-IAAOSw2VdeHhhJ

Steel wool can impregnate the metal finish with tiny steel fragments that eventually propagate rust... anybody worth their salt that works on fine firearm finishes knows this. Also, attacking any finish with an abrasive brush is bound to have unwanted consequences. Lesson learned, it's unfortunate that it was learned on a unique and fairly rare firearm.

Edit: bronze may be soft, but your dirty bronze brush likely picked up very upbrasive compounds that ruined the finish. Use Ballistol, a soft rag, and patience from now on.
Well most of the finish in that area was already bare when I got the firearm. I stopped pretty quickly after realizing this.

To address other comments- I looked at it and it does appear to be painted- this seems common on Maadi's?

I'm not an AK guy (one of those nerds is sure to show up and correct me), but the finish you have removed appears to be a paint of some type. Paints can grow soft with repeated exposures to cleaning solvents/oils. This was likely the case with your carrier considering the age of the rifle. Unfortunately, the writing may have been on the wall regardless of cleaning method. In general, on anything painted, I would recommend nothing harsher than a rag or nylon brush with some CLR/Hoppes/Clenzoil.

That being said, I have been using a brass brush for years on all sorts of parkerized/blued/in the white/plated finishes without issue. Just recently purchased a Colt 1902 with light surface rust on the slide and frame. Cleaned up very well with said brush and some Cleanzoil.
I have too! But I believe you are correct. It does appear to be paint. A lot of the paint and in particular in the pictured area had already been removed from the bolt carrier

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top