JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think most have missed the real culprit. In 1947 or 1948 the SCOUSA came up with the convolutied idea of seperation of church and state. It took a few years for it to work its way into society, but it did. In 1961 and 1962 God and God's Word were expelled from our schools. From that time on crime has risen, divorce has risen, illieracy has risen, respect for officials (inclding police) has dropped, respect for parents has dropped. Personal responsiblity has dropped.

Oh good grief.

Its actually not the BB guns that are the big issue, its the airsoft things. We have kids around here who want to play army with these things. Technically not legal to shoot in the city, but I think its cool. They do this in the parks and empty fields. Good kid fun, right?

Well you get people who go absolutely sideways on seeing kids having any fun and freak out when they see a "gun". Sad, really.

The call comes in of "multiple armed people with guns in military clothes hiding in the park". So we have to respond in appropriate manner to how the call comes in.

BTW, doesn't matter what they look like, clear, colored or black. Calls come in the same. Also criminals have been known to colorize and/or red tip real guns to give themselves an advantage over police. This is now common knowledge and savvy LE will not treat "guns" regardless of color as the real deal and respond accordingly. Fair warning.

Its actually not the BB guns that are the big issue, its the airsoft things. We have kids around here who want to play army with these things. Technically not legal to shoot in the city, but I think its cool. They do this in the parks and empty fields. Good kid fun, right?

Well you get people who go absolutely sideways on seeing kids having any fun and freak out when they see a "gun". Sad, really.

The call comes in of "multiple armed people with guns in military clothes hiding in the park". So we have to respond in appropriate manner to how the call comes in.

BTW, doesn't matter what they look like, clear, colored or black. Calls come in the same. Also criminals have been known to colorize and/or red tip real guns to give themselves an advantage over police. This is now common knowledge and savvy LE will not treat "guns" regardless of color as the real deal and respond accordingly. Fair warning.

So is paintball an issue to. I can load a marker with frozen paint and shoot it at 450fps. Hit someone in the head with that and it's lights out.

If you get shot by a cop it's your own damn fault. And maybe your parents for not teaching you right from wrong.

I'm all for kids having fun but if
Airsoft is illegal in city limits then they shouldn't be playing in parks and fields where their intensions could be taken as bad. That goes right back to respecting LE. Should teach them not to break the law and respect LEO's.

Kinda puzzled with your interpretation of the Constitution. There is in fact a clear Constitutional separation between church and State, as well there should be. If you want a nation where religion and the State are one...move to Iran.

There is a clear separation of the Church and State, but you can not deny that the USofA was founded on religious principles. IMO it's the lack of knowing and understanding these basic religious principles that is destroying this nation.

I speak not from speculation. My father was a police officer in a wide-open town in Nevada, then Montana, then a US Marshal. No one can tell me (and no one could tell him) that Winnemucca in 1962 (Prostitution, Gambling, Mafia, etc., etc., etc.,) was less dangerous for a police officer than current East L.A.
I hope this clarifies what I meant.

I'm not sure how the legal activities of gambling and prostitution make Winnemucca a bad town. If by mafia you mean Italians working in the legal professions of gambling and prostitution, I still don't see the direct connection to crime or danger. I've only been to Winnemuca once, recently. It was late night, prostitution and gambling were legal and present, and it seemed like a nice town. I didn't see any Italians. I also didn't point a bb gun at the local cop.

I feel sorry for any family that goes through the loss of a child. But I don't think we can blame the cops for this one. They don't really have time to try and determine if that is a real 9mm or a fake! I also don't think kids should play with toy guns. We don't allow shooting games in the house either.

Originally Posted by MA Duce
Kinda puzzled with your interpretation of the Constitution. There is in fact a clear Constitutional separation between church and State, as well there should be. If you want a nation where religion and the State are one...move to Iran.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...."
I guess that's open to interpretation but IMO they meant you can't make an official religion, such as "You must be Jewish to live in New Jersey", not that you must rip any reference to any religion out of any and all public property.

Aren't airsoft guns banned in Beaverton or something for the reasons mentioned above?

I guess that's open to interpretation but IMO they meant you can't make an official religion, such as "You must be Jewish to live in New Jersey", not that you must rip any reference to any religion out of any and all public property.

I agree with your view. It is clear that the founding fathers were opposed to any State established religion. I take the view that the government should be completely neutral on the subject, which means any governmental organization or establishment should not promote nor display anything dealing with it. The topic is so fraught with emotion and disparate interpretation that it can only bring about conflict when discussed, as seen here in many instances. You are free to believe anything you wish in this country, and barring practices that harm others you should be free to practice that belief. But the government has no business supporting any particular brand of superstition.

As has often been said, as long as they teach algebra there will be prayer in school.

It sure seems that some of the folks here need a USA history lesson. In the early days of this country the congress was used as a church and the military band was the orchasta. Congress used to allocate funds for the printing of Bibles so that as folks moved west they would not forget religion and morals. The so called Jefferson Bible was not a Bible where Jefferson cut out the parts he didn't believe, but he cut out all the things Jesus said and pasted them in a book to take to the Indians. He thought it was imperitive that they should know Jesus Christ the Savior of the world, not just white men.

Read George Washington's farewell address. You will think you are reading something written by Billy Graham.

Seriously, is there a reason a BB gun needs to look exactly like a center-fire pistol?

Yes. My wife was unsure about carrying her CCW piece so we got an air pistol of a nearly identical make. Over the course of a few months it was used to get her comfortable with the feeling of carrying, practice trigger control and safety, as well as get the kids used to her having the gun on her.

Like any tool it has to be used properly. If some yutz decides to point a gun-like object at a cop he must be making the choice to have new holes opened into his body.

Last Edited:
It sure seems that some of the folks here need a USA history lesson. In the early days of this country the congress was used as a church and the military band was the orchasta. Congress used to allocate funds for the printing of Bibles so that as folks moved west they would not forget religion and morals. The so called Jefferson Bible was not a Bible where Jefferson cut out the parts he didn't believe, but he cut out all the things Jesus said and pasted them in a book to take to the Indians. He thought it was imperitive that they should know Jesus Christ the Savior of the world, not just white men.

Read George Washington's farewell address. You will think you are reading something written by Billy Graham.

This isn't the venue for a discussion about religion, it is off topic. But IF you believe in a holy text what makes one decide their book is more right than any other??? Therein lies 2000 years of war and atrocity. Taking your justification from your source of belief at the expense of others is morally indefensible.

A bit of perspective is needed here: realistic toy guns are nothing new. Over 40 years ago, we had life-size AR15's (Mattel) and M1911's/M14's (Johnny Eagle) and Colt Peacemakers (Fanner 50). Cops didn't shoot kids with toy guns (on a regular, expected, and excused basis) because cops knew then that they were paid to deal with risk, make the distinction and not make a mistake. Somehow then, they DID make the distinction on a regular, expected basis, and knew there would be no excuse if they didn't. What has changed is not the toys. What has changed is that cops now are trained that they have the right and the means to eliminate risk. (Distinguished from the right to eliminate true threat, as was the case in years gone by.)

Well,when the drug dealers started using kids to run for them and those kids picked up REAL GUNS,then all of this changed.
Now kids DO have real guns and are willing to shoot you with them

Big difference from when kids wouldn't kill you.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top