JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spent Thursday shaping one of the scales. We had bought one of those Chinese made X - Y axis clamps for use on a drill press, (everything is in Chinese print!) and I used it to "Mill" the rough side parallel to the previously flattened side, that way I'll be able to drill the pin holes straight thru both halves, and also machine them down to about the same thickness. I also drilled the brass pins out of the finger guard then had to pound the crap out of it to get it to slide off the tang. I wanted it off so that I could finish smoothing the part I couldn't get done with the guard in place, maybe no one else would have noticed it but it would jump right out at me every time I looked at it. I wrapped the brass in blue tape and used a wooden mallet to reduce the damage to the guard.
I'm going to flatten somewhat a piece of PVC pipe with a heat gun, in order to get it back on without having to cause any more damage to the 1500 grit finish I put on the edges of the tang, or the guard either, than I have too. Worked on that some more last evening, YEAH I'm still up!
I'm going to try and get a little more done on it today.
The Honey do's are flying thick here lately, she just can't stand watching me have fun! Wimmin! LOL
That's about it for now, :s0045:
Gabby

12/6 Yesterday got the PVC flattened, looks good.
I'm going to drill some more pin holes in the tang it will help to make it appear more old period, rather than modern with the heavier pins. I have EXACTLY enough brass brazing rod to do it, and re-pin the finger guard! :D Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't ruin any of it. :eek:

Last Edited:
Can't wait to see what you come up with. Your leather work is awesome; something I hope to get into in the future.

Here is the first Bowie I ever made. From an old Ford leaf spring.
View attachment 409643 View attachment 409644

Looks really good I'll bet it's a great chopper for camping.
Not a criticism, but if you can take your photos on overcast days so that the light is diffused you will get better results and you will get less glare from highly polished surfaces, I've found that laying it on a neutral background also helps with defining edges, and if you can shoot directly down on it the detail is enhanced. You may want to disable your flash as well. Mess around with it till you find what works best for you and your camera.

I have a couple leaf springs collecting rust that I've thought about annealing and going at them with grinders, I'm not set up with a forge or smith tools. Maybe one of these days if I live long enough.
Gabby

OK I have the pins all cut to length, and I can press them in to hold the scales to the tang.
I've been using a 4 in hand rasp and another flat rasp, along with a hacksaw to remove the majority of the waste off the scales.
I have it following the contour of the tang pretty well.
One scale is thicker than the other and will require a lot of material removal in order for them to match each other.
Lots of rasping and sanding in my future. BTW Moose antler is HARD stuff!
:s0045:
Gabby

Got some felt polishing wheels for my rotary tool, and spent most of last evening and part of this morning buffing away using the white rouge , wish I had some brown, but I'm just going to get some of that Mother's Mag Rim polish and if that doesn't get the last of those fine scratches I'm just going to live with them. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on a bench polishing set up.
As it is I scared myself by looking at it up close and some fuzzy faced old codger was looking right at me, sure gave me a fright! :eek: Who'd a thunk someone was living in there? o_O

I may leave the final hand polishing till after I finish shaping and attaching the handle scales.
More rasping and sanding coming right up!
That's it for now, sure wish I'd taken some BEFORE photos, maybe next time.
Gabby

Gabby; There is a product out there called Semichrome which is an excellent polishing media. I've been using it for years and had great results. Good Luck.:)

E2221857-6A02-4360-B1AC-CD0714B9A22A.jpeg

I let Gerber build mine, it's an old one! Every adult American male should have a Bowie knife! :)

Gabby; There is a product out there called Semichrome which is an excellent polishing media. I've been using it for years and had great results. Good Luck.:)
I'm looking it up, thanks.

A highly scientific test. :rolleyes:
Check it out.

KKG
Were you using any kind of polishing wheel?

Last Edited:
CCBDE3C3-FAD5-4CD7-A884-2AC2E109E8B5.jpeg I have many custom knives large and small but it is tough to beat my Puma original Bowie. I do like the Oregon made knives a lot and still have my 1973 vintage Gerber combat knife with a slight cant between the blade and grip to help penatrating a rib cage.

I used it mainly in my Thumblers Tumbler for Polishing Brass. But, for polishing Other things with a Dremel Tool I would use a Felt Pad. It really works great for me.:)

I've got some tough 1" felt wheels, and have been using one and it is holding together quite well, but using the white stick it's doing a pretty good job of polishing, and taking out some of the finest scratches, but the deeper ones are still there. I'm going to have to go back to 400 or 600 grit to take them out, the 1500 can't do it. I really want a mirror finish and I'm not ready to give up yet. 600 here I come!

Thanks Buddy, I'm just now calling it quits, I've been sanding for about 5 hours, with 400 grit, and spent the last 15 or so with 600 again, my hands are cramping and it's time to stop for tonight.
I'm going to slurp up some spirits and then put my body down for a few hours in the arms of
Morpheus! :p
'night y'all,
Gabby

I built one for my friend, who has a NRA commemorative Bowie (beautiful knife)
which is what made me want to build one like it. You can build a scabbard with how ever much cant built to suit you. Or barring that order one from any of a number of leather workers online that do excellent work. I built a cross draw for his Walker Replica from Uberti. I built the holster and the belt!
View attachment 406345
I'm not in the business, but could do it if you lived near by.
I've been making holsters and scabbards for quite a while but I'm not a professional. This is the build for his Navy revolver and his Bowie knife, that I made to match the belt he made in high school shop back in the 1950's.
It need some TLC and restoration, and I got them all to match!
Enjoy,
Gabby
View attachment 406315

How the heck can I get rid of the double image, I've tried editing the post and deleting them both even to no avail!
Driving me nuts. Don't say it, "Short drive":s0001:Gabby View attachment 406321
Very nice stuff- looks as if you COULD be a "professional" if you wanted to be... love that holster-bowie-belt rig you have there. Really good work, better than some I've seen from "professional" leather workers...

OK I have the pins all cut to length, and I can press them in to hold the scales to the tang.
I've been using a 4 in hand rasp and another flat rasp, along with a hacksaw to remove the majority of the waste off the scales.
I have it following the contour of the tang pretty well.
One scale is thicker than the other and will require a lot of material removal in order for them to match each other.
Lots of rasping and sanding in my future. BTW Moose antler is HARD stuff!
Gabby
Ive worked with a bit of antler and horn and moose antler IS hard! Harder than any Ive worked with the exception of caribou...It will take an ivory-like polish too... Nice work you do...

Lots of nice knives here! This is a design I came up with and then had made. Not a traditional Bowie obviously but incorperated some elements as well as striking spur, thumb ramp, and finger hole if you want to utilize it.

W.

W. M13.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews