JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It is a lighter knife than the Ontario Marine Raider SP-10 and is an easier carry. The .25" spine gives the knife strength and the 1075 Carbon Steel hardened to 57-59 Hrc gives the knife an incredible ability to hold an edge.

31GQrc5ZTdL.jpg

I have two of their smaller knives, Rat 1&2, I like their stuff. Good luck.

I like my Marine Raider Bowie SP-10 (also in 1075 Carbon Steel). It too is hardened to the same 57-59 Rockwell hardness as the SP-5. 1095 steel has been relegated to only those knives/machetes made under Government contract. The lower carbon steel doesn't "chip" as readily as 1095. The edges will "roll" instead. 1075 tends to be "tougher" and more "resilient" than 1095. I have mentioned this before and will say it again. This is a "win-win" for both Ontario Knife Company as well as the consumer.

I had to learn about the "limitations" of different steels and the advantages of either higher, or lower, carbon levels and the different hardness each steel can take. If a given steel alloy is too hard and the alloy molecular "string" (due to what is known as "plate-stacking") becomes too brittle, the edge will "chip" rendering the knife useless. The Ontario Knife Company had too many of the larger 1095 steel knives returned under warranty because of this.
If the alloy is too malleable and the heat treatment is too soft, the edge won't hold well enough for use. (It will require frequent sharpening and will have low "wear resistance"). As with anything else, it is a "balancing act" with the alloy and heat treatment being proper for the intended use/purpose of the tool.

Ask any metallurgist and they will tell you the same thing. (I obtained this information from a metallurgist at Ontario Knife Company).

Last Edited:
The Survival Bowie arrived this afternoon and the knife is as good as I had hoped. This is a lighter knife but has a 10" Bowie blade. The darned thing handles quickly and would be a great asset in a fight. I could deal with someone before they could say either "kiss my foot" or "have an apple". This will work as both a camp knife and a field knife. Heck, it will even perform kitchen duties. Think of this as the "Swiss Army Knife" of the Bowie Knife set.

The Ontario Knife Company Survival Bowie SP-5 was well worth Amazon's $44.80 "price of admission".

Last Edited:
Never bring a knife to a gunfight. Regarding my firearms and my knives, I never hope nor fantasize about eviscerating anyone. o_O

In our complex, we have:
  1. A felonious probationer that is about halfway back to being returned to the Oregon State Hospital for drug addiction. (A condition of his probation is that he has no visitors outside of his own family members).
  2. Another "rag-picker" who routinely has "mental misfits" using illicit pharmaceuticals and,
  3. yet another neighbor that commiserates with the felonious probationer, visiting him inside his apartment. (A clear violation of his probation).
This is the people that generate a great deal of strife, discontent and danger.

I just moved out of a house where a roommate insisted on smoking marijuana. After 2 years, 7 months of living next door to a 52-year-old woman going on 17, into a house where people are non-drinkers, aren't using drugs, and live like civilized people. I'm fine with this. I'm willing to call the police when people start beating on neighbor's doors, disturbing the peace, and causing neighborhood unrest.
In this house, we live as civilized folks that refuse to be driven out by those who have no respect for mature, adult behavior.
I just signed a 1-year lease on March 1st. WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top