JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just posted this on the "What did you buy today?" thread, then decided it was appropriate here as well.

"Not a gun but the 9.5" blade, overall 15" version of this. I have some really nice Moose antler material, that I'm going to make look like Ivory scales and I plan to polish out the blade first. Probably have to take the guard off for that, I want it mirror bright. It will probably just be a wall hanger, but it will be a SHARP one! I don't believe in dull knives, I'll even sharpen the clip point. Also I'll build a custom scabbard for it.
Maybe I'll figure out how to post a photo or 2.
As my good friend Rex is fond of telling me "Don't Cut yourself" As I'm putting a shave yourself edge on his Benchmade for him.
He tries to jinx me! "
355818-6469644e03635afbf9c712a8b28b85c6.jpg Gabby

Looks like a great start for a project. I've managed to pickup a couple of the Cold Steel Bowies. They are the older ones which I think are better. The only thing I would change is the scabbard. Really no way to actually carry the knife Except to stick it in my belt and I like a more secure method.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys.
I've seen a plain scabbard designed specifically to be stashed behind your belt.
It may or may not have a belt loop, but it has a stud on the front that stops it from falling on thru.
You might see if you can find one.
Or barring that modifying it yourself.
It wouldn't be difficult.
If you like I could write out instructions on how to do it.
But first a detailed description or better yet a photo or 2 of it from both sides, would be a good idea. Send some anyway and maybe I can make some suggestions after seeing it, won't hurt.
This blade is one of those cheap Pakistan SS blades, of undetermined alloy, I'm just hoping it will take and hold an edge, otherwise it is just a learning tool for me to gain some insight into how to build the handle.
I don't have any great expectations, but I have my fingers crossed. :s0092:
Gabby

Gabby; The sheath I have - that came with the knife - is as you described, plain with a stud(brass I think) to keep it from going all the way through. I know how the style was used in the early 1830 era Fur Trade and have used it that way a couple of times. I keep thinking of other ideas for a sheath, including one with a swivel like the one used for the Cavalry Holster for the 1911A1 Pistol. At my age I really don't have a "Need" just more ideas than I know what to do with.

Your ideas sound great and I wish you Luck.:)

C51FCF25-7E2C-423C-9CCF-CCF66A91EE46.jpeg Here is my Taliban (Pakistan) made 12" blade Bowie with sheath. It is actually made with very good Damascus. Overall about 17" I have completed several blank blades (and made some from scratch). I prefer the German steel ones, they have better heat treating. You can buy both Boker and Linder blades as blanks. Most of mine have been finished in elk horn scales.

Last Edited:
Tried to make a Bowie Knife in high school machine shop, (Back in the 50's). According to descriptions I had read, it was 13"
long, had a brass hilt and back strap on the blade and the blade was 3/8" thick at the hilt. I tried to braze the back strap on with out sucess. Finally I milled it into a "T", slotted the blade and pressed it in. I milled the rest of the contours and then tempered
the whole thing in oil. I got a good grade on it, but what a beast. It weighed a ton.:(
Last I saw of it, my brother was was using it to chop kindling.:eek:

My great grandfather was a blacksmith that had apprenticed in Norway before immigrating to the US in 1891.He made many knives that are still being used every day in the family. He owned and operated a shop (was more of a machine shop) in Craigmont Idaho where he made tools and repair parts for central Idaho sawmills and farm machinery. I remember him being very deaf. He preferred turning off his hearing aids to listening to the noise around him........guess that is where I get it.

Last Edited:
remember the old Western W-49 Bowie?

Back in the 70's when I was a kid. K-Mart in Yakima had them at closeout for $15.
Begged Dad to get it. :D

View attachment 406348
My grandfather gave me a Case XX version when I was about 10. It participated in many Scout camp outs and summer camps for the next decade. I left it at my folks when I went in the military and no one knew where it went.......

Gabby; The sheath I have - that came with the knife - is as you described, plain with a stud(brass I think) to keep it from going all the way through. I know how the style was used in the early 1830 era Fur Trade and have used it that way a couple of times. I keep thinking of other ideas for a sheath, including one with a swivel like the one used for the Cavalry Holster for the 1911A1 Pistol. At my age I really don't have a "Need" just more ideas than I know what to do with.

Your ideas sound great and I wish you Luck.:)

I built one for my friend, who has a NRA commemorative Bowie (beautiful knife)
which is what made me want to build one like it. You can build a scabbard with how ever much cant built to suit you. Or barring that order one from any of a number of leather workers online that do excellent work. I built a cross draw for his Walker Replica from Uberti. I built the holster and the belt!
upload_2017-11-18_15-33-17.jpeg
I'm not in the business, but could do it if you lived near by.
I've been making holsters and scabbards for quite a while but I'm not a professional. This is the build for his Navy revolver and his Bowie knife, that I made to match the belt he made in high school shop back in the 1950's.
It need some TLC and restoration, and I got them all to match!
Enjoy,
Gabby
upload_2017-11-18_14-26-9.jpeg

How the heck can I get rid of the double image, I've tried editing the post and deleting them both even to no avail!
Driving me nuts. Don't say it, "Short drive":s0001:Gabby upload_2017-11-18_14-31-30.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabby; That's some outstanding work you do. And, as a member of the Founders Club, I think you have great taste in Belt Buckles! Very nice.

Thank you sir.
Actually I can't take credit for the buckle, it belongs to my friend Rex, that I built the rig for. It is pretty spiffy too, sets off the rig! :D
Gabby

Last Edited:
New blade arrived Tuesday. I found out the hard way that they come sharpened. Was peeling the wrapper from it and slipped and sliced my thumb, luckily not badly, but enough to bleed a bit. So I guess it's like the Japanese Samurai sword that requires blood when drawn. :eek:
Sharpened edge is 8.5", 9 & 11/16" tip to guard, and 15.75" OAL 3/16" thick.
SKU: BL009
Naow that's what I calls a knoiff, terrible Aussie accent! LOL :p
Feels balanced well enough to throw well, but since I'm using Moose Antler, I'll refrain, because after all that work I'd be sick if I cracked or broke it.
If I was going to use it that way I'd put mycarta scales on it.
If you want a beat around camp knife / chopper, I think it would do the job. I do plan to use it some to see how well it holds an edge and how easy it is to resharpen.
But not till I get a handle on it. I got it from Smoky Mountain Knife Works, Less than $19 incl. shipping and it got here before I expected it too. Surprised me because it came via USPS Great big box for the size of the contents, well wrapped against scratches though there are a few small ones on the brass and a small one on the back edge of the blade, that should sand and polish right out without too much time or effort. They tell you to expect some scratches due to handling, and since it came half way around the world I'm not surprised. I just found a really small laser etched "Pakistan"
up front on the clip area, that will probably rub out with an eraser! Well not without a whole lot of rubbing. :oops:o_O Yeah I tried.

Well updates as I get some work done, first I'll have to split the antler material and sand the halves perfectly flat, and that will take a while as the sanding has to be on a perfectly flat surface. I have a 12"sq piece of mirror that will do the job, and some wet or dry paper to do the dirty work. That will be my first report, I think.
I've found a really good source of information / instruction, Look up Walter Sorrells
on you tube, ah heck here he is made it easy for yah!
walter sorrells youtube - Google Search
he's a no nonsense professional. You can buy his discs or just be a cheapskate like me and watch his online tutorials for free, maybe if I come across some extra $$ I'll pop for the discs. Meanwhile I don't know how serious I'll be with knife making, so I'll take the cheap route for now. Wait till you see his workmanship, every thing from plain little knives, up to folded Japanese swords, really beautiful.
that's it for now. :s0045:
Gabby

After lots and lots of sanding I got the 2 scale halves flat, next is drilling the holes for the pins.
But before that I've been working on getting the tang edges smooth they came right from the saw rough.
The steel is pretty soft though (hopefully not in the blade area) and filed easily and sanded well, I used a soft Dremel wheel and white rouge to put on a final polish, after sanding finally with 1500 wet or dry. Pretty shiny!
I'm going to drill out the brass pins that hold the finger guard on as there is a small area I couldn't reach and since I'm leaving the tang exposed it will look unfinished and rough. I wish they had just included the guard in the package without pinning it to the blade, would have made my job much easier.
Sing this to the tune of the old Rawhide TV series.
Sandin-sandin-sandin, keep on sandin-rough stuff! LOL
:s0045:
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR