JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bolt action so the locals wont laugh at you. And .308, so when you forget your ammo, you can buy some at the local gas station. :D

Oooo, been there done that! Fortunately everywhere I hunt is within 1hr of home... unlike those westside interlopers/invaders! ;)

One time my buddy from Bend forgot his .338WinMag ammo and had to buy some here in town. Wasn't too much available at the time. Another time, my other buddy's daughter emptied round after round of 7mm or 8mm Mauser, I forget which, anyway and entire box worth at elk that were 400yds away and had to come to town... same girl that scoped herself when then sighting in new ammo at the rock pit there near camp. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Locals laugh at me all the time, so no worries about that.
I built the 6.8 for deer hunting so it may be what I use, it just seems to have bad luck or no luck associated with it.

How about a pump? Remington 760/7600?
I'm a bolt action man.
I'd have no problem with, BAR or AR platform but, The simplicity, easy maintenance, accuracy and the tradition of bolt win me over.

Bolt action so the locals wont laugh at you. And .308, so when you forget your ammo, you can buy some at the local gas station. :D
Agreed. Ive shot a few deer across clear cuts with 150-165gr 308 loads and dropped them in their tracks. I would do a bolt gun. I watched my buddies BAR 7mm totally choke in the cold weather. Partially his fault for not oiling the gun AT ALL, but still.

Agreed. Ive shot a few deer across clear cuts with 150-165gr 308 loads and dropped them in their tracks. I would do a bolt gun. I watched my buddies BAR 7mm totally choke in the cold weather. Partially his fault for not oiling the gun AT ALL, but still.

Like I said... Always have a backup gun on your trip.

If not the 6.8, then the Creeds might be good... two rifles with the same ammo covers your need for a backup rifle. Sh!t happens...

I have hunted fossil unit for deer all my like I started out with a 742 semi auto in 3006 took many deer with it. But was always afraid the bolt would get stuck because I had a cousin that borrowed it for elk season in the snow and he didn't clean it at all. After that it was compromised in my eye so I went to a bolt gun just to feel better. But I wouldn't hesitate to own another semi rifle those follow up shots on a running buck are so much easier.

None for me .
I'll use one of these....
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

DSC06789.jpg

Hawken.jpg

In regards to the option of bolt or semi...
Simple answer : Use whichever you shoot and carry best under hunting conditions.
All that said if I were to use a "modern" rifle I'd use my JC Higgins model 50 in .30-06.
Andy
DSC06725.jpg

Last Edited:
Bolt gun, still trying to decide which one.
.270 WSM Model 70 Ultimate Shadow, nicest smoothest, but unlucky, so far
.270 Win Marlin XL7, basic, reliable accurate
.308 Win Ruger Hawkeye, still trying to find a consistent load
Since I am planning an ambush hunt (sitting and waiting), I may just go with my heavy barrel .308 Win. Savage 10T. Not much hiking involved, should be able to get prone with bipod.
Still looking forward to chasing coyotes this winter with an AR-15.

Seriously, if your mind is already made up to use the latest designer metric cartridge, and a semi auto, so be it. The folks back east have been successfully using semi autos for deer hunting since forever. Makes it easier to flock-shoot those pesky white tails.

Bolt gun, still trying to decide which one.
.270 WSM Model 70 Ultimate Shadow, nicest smoothest, but unlucky, so far
.270 Win Marlin XL7, basic, reliable accurate
.308 Win Ruger Hawkeye, still trying to find a consistent load
Since I am planning an ambush hunt (sitting and waiting), I may just go with my heavy barrel .308 Win. Savage 10T. Not much hiking involved, should be able to get prone with bipod.
Still looking forward to chasing coyotes this winter with an AR-15.

My take:
The WSM is way over the top for deer, but what the heck if that's what you want.
The .270 Win is, in your words, reliable and accurate. That would be my choice for the reasons you just mentioned.
The Hawkeye is still not showing potential in it's load. Your game deserves the best chance of a clean kill. I'd nix this rifle until a solid load was found.
The Savage … well you might think you are not going to hike much. But what happens if you wound the animal and it takes off? What happens if someone else is in your area and you have to go to a different spot? What happens if … you get the idea. So you may think you will be sitting most of the hunt you never really know. Expect the best but plan for the worst. There are too few hunting days per year to risk otherwise,

So I'd go with the .270 Winchester … but that's just me.

I hope this helps.

By the way, it's getting late in the year to be dithering. Pick one and get out to the range a few times before the season opens so you can ensure the rig is acting the way you expect. Again, just my take.

Heavy timber and close in and less than 100 yards use a semi-auto or where shots are 100 yards or longer use a bolt. Reference above with 308 works just fine inside 200 yards for deer.

The deer I hunt are never polite enough to let me know the night before how far away the will be standing when they see me the next morning.

And yes my 300 win mag is overkill on Bambi.
But works out nice when what I thought was bambi in the brush. Turns out to be a 300lb black bear that came to play, and fill my bear tag. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top