JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bolt actions are typically lighter and in the extremely rare case of a feasible follow up shot, cycling the bolt can be done pretty fast, so I don't see an up side to a SA.

Coyote hunting, where I don't really mind winging lead at a running animal is the only real situation where a SA is ideal IMO.

We hunted deer in Northside last year. It's about a seven hour drive so I always take a backup rifle. Cheap insurance. I took my 03 Springfield and my dads Browning Bar. I thought they both worked well. I dont like semis in wet weather as they take more maintenance but other than that I would use either. Also I load my ammo a bit warmer in a bolt than I will a semi- gas operated rifle. I would take both.

I would have to know which rifles.

Here in the rainy NW I chose to go back to a bolt rifle from my AR10.
Having to take that AR10 complete apart to dry it off sealed it from me.

If not in an AR platform I would say it doesn't matter

Bolt first, lever as a back up. Lever has awesome irons just in case. Havnt had a scope go bad, but even today, that can happen! In the recent past, I would have packed a Mauser 98 in .270 or an 03 Springer in .30/06, now days it's my newer Tikka in .30/06. The back up Lever is a Marlin 1895 chamberd in .45/70.:)
I wouldn't have an issue with a semi auto at all, I should take my Remington Mod 8 and would love a Browning BAR, though like others have sai, semis are a little heavier:(

I keep going back and forth between my AR-15 in 6.8 and my T/C encore rifle in .44 Mag, both are proven deer killers probably end up alternating between the two.

I think it's more likely a factor of where exactly you are going and the caliber of bolt or semi that you own... There is a lot of country over here; some is open, some is heavy reprod. Some requires long hikes, some is slogging along in windfall canyons.

If I were shooting in say Owyhee country, I would take a light, long action, flat shooting caliber. If I was in forest, I would take either a bolt 7mm-08, .308, 6mm, .243, 30-06, or a lever action 30-30, or a semi in 6.8SPC, .300 Blackout, .308 or 30-06 depending on what you have.

Have you ever hunted the eastside before? It's a big area! If you'll say a little more about where, I'm sure one of us with some experience can better guide you...

Last Edited:
I believe in one load for each rifle. Once I find one the gun likes I will pretty much stick with it as long as I own that rifle. I am not going to.guess which load the scope is sighted in for.

I still haven't been swayed one way or the other. I need more input.
I'll be in Grizzly unit for the first time, I generally hunt southeast when I can draw a tag. Calibers choices are; 6.8 spc , 6.5 Creed, or 308 (because you don't need magnums for deer)

I have the 6.5 Creed in both semi and bolt.
Weight is an issue with both of them though
As for bullets, when I find the load that shoots to my satisfaction I stay with it, wanting consistentcy

Hahahaha, don't take this personally, but to those of us that actually live in E. Oregon, that is Central not eastside!

I've worked a few years there... you have both open country and forest. Creed for open country, 6.8 or .308 for forest. Or... be prepared and take all of them. I always have a backup gun when I go!

Creedmore is fast bullets... what is the deflection off of small branches or tall grasses? .308 can use 150gr for deer in more open areas of forest, or 180gr round nose for brush.

Bolt action so the locals wont laugh at you. And .308, so when you forget your ammo, you can buy some at the local gas station. :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews