JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Consumer ammo" has a shorter shelf life but premium ammo like Hydra Shock has better components, especially primers as to shelf-life my grand dad bought-up as much ammo as he could in Dec. 1941, it was stored in E. WA. When he died 32 years later I got all the ammo and 90% fired, w/no problem.

Why not, everyone else wanted in on the BT craze after they were no longer available to the public.. They were still available tho.. Just not to everyone.

And Because I got them super cheap years ago, and they work. And they don't go bad..

I keep them loaded in my 1911 Colt Commander house gun. Nothing wrong with them. They will work just as well for their intended purpose as any of the new stuff. I probably wouldn't use them for carry though.

My old department issued these when we first switched to semi-autos. My S&W 5904 was initially not very fond of them but seemed to better (perfect) as time progressed and they worked on my gun. I agree with the many other posts regarding numerous other and better ammo available. Antidotal stories...the BT's did seem to work well when they were used.
Since we resurrected a six year old thread...I noticed some of the old posts related to being question regarding our ammo choice if we ever had to use it. Just happened to re-read one of Mas Ayoob's books (Deadly Force) where he eloquently discusses how to describe ammo choices.

I get a kick out of the some marketing names ammo companies come up with.
But I suppose putting :
"This bullet will seek out and destroy any and all who wish to do you any harm and is the very best bullet on the planet for reigning down destruction on evil doers."
Is a bit much to put on a box of ammo. LOL
Andy

Last Edited:
I get a kick out of the some marketing names ammo companies come up with.
But I suppose putting :
"This bullet will seek out and destroy any and all who wish to do you any harm and is the very best bullet on the planet for reigning down destruction on evil doers."
Is a bit much to put on a box of ammo. LOL
Andy
"This bullet will kill the body and the soul..."

Why do people want to carry ammo that is a minimum of 10 years old (discontinued in 2000) when there is better ammo out there and pay a massive premium for it?

You can buy Winchester SXT which is an updated, improved version of the Talon and can be bought as current production all day long at "normal" prices.

I guess I just dont get it. I know the BT was good for the day, but that was 20 years ago.............
I bought a 500 round case, at the first gun show after the lawyer office shooting in San Fran.

It works well in my modified Glock so I wanted a decent backup stock and I knew they would make a big stink about the ammo, at least the price would go up.

Since then I haven't bought any more.

It doesn't bother me that it is old, much of my ammo is - that comes with getting old myself and not shooting up expensive self-defense ammo. Ammo tends to have a pretty long shelf life. I have perfectly good ammo that is 30+ years old.

This bullet will make your afterlife so miserable , that being a judge in a drunken yodeling contest while having a migraine would be preferred .

As for old ammo ... If you store in the proper conditions , it works just as well when new.
Andy

I bought a 500 round case, at the first gun show after the lawyer office shooting in San Fran.

It works well in my modified Glock so I wanted a decent backup stock and I knew they would make a big stink about the ammo, at least the price would go up.

Since then I haven't bought any more.

It doesn't bother me that it is old, much of my ammo is - that comes with getting old myself and not shooting up expensive self-defense ammo. Ammo tends to have a pretty long shelf life. I have perfectly good ammo that is 30+ years old.
I'm in the same boat. I bought up a bunch of it as it was being discontinued, shot enough of it to know it works in my handguns, still have much of it, and I carry it regularly.

I never could understand why all the fuss over a bullet being overly deadly or some other fantastical super powers! ALL bullets kill, and have been killing ever since the first human put a rock in front of a charge inside a tube and lit it off!
Just another hyped up miss information spread by the MSM to the non gun folks, Hey Look, These will kill ya EXTRA DEAD!!!

I wonder if in a court case it was ever found the use of FMJ caused pain and suffering and there fore was inhumane?

I'm thinking the Black Talon's noteriety was because it had a "Teflon coating" on the bullet that allowed it to penetrate the vests of that time period.

Good Shooting

Lindy

I'm thinking the Black Talon's noteriety was because it had a "Teflon coating" on the bullet that allowed it to penetrate the vests of that time period.

I was just about to make a joke about the Teflon myth... The Teflon did not cause better penetration, it was the harder metal used in the bullet.

No one has mentioned yet how they also explode into a thousand razor shards inside the body, making the wounds unsurvivable.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top