JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks, Andy. That's a little over 2 hours from us, but we might go there.

I found Turtle Ridge on Facebook. Apparently, they had taken in a bear cub but weren't supposed to do that. ODFW has shut them down, and killed the cub.
Jesus.. at first i was like "wtf!" But then i thought about it for half a second.... uh yea, theres no getting around that one. Unless theres some kind of animal sanctuary where a bear can live out the entire rest of its life, its not like you can safely keep a bear nor release a bear thats been raised by humans into the wild. Wtf were they thinking?

Sounds like may be a lot of fun even if you can't find a rehab to take it. If it eats enough to start to gain weight I would do as others suggested. Let if live on it's own soon. If its free to come and go its not really a pet, its a deer who hangs around your house. Many of these critters get quite tame from people feeding them. Offer it shelter that it's free to come and go from and it may grow to adult and keep coming around for the rest of its life. Be fun to see if this works. Pics of it as it grows and starts to join other wild animals and still comes back to you.

I talked with a wildlife rehabilitation center this morning, and was told that a law has been passed prohibiting them from helping orphaned fawns. Now I'm hoping to find someone within driving distance who raises deer.

The sweet-voiced lady at the rehab center offered to 'euthanize' the fawn for us.

What a wicked, upside-down society we live in nowadays! It's perfectly fine to kill millions of human babies via the procedure-that-must-not-be-named, but it's illegal for the professional wildlife rehabilitation centers to rescue an orphaned deer.

Nuts.

I talked with a wildlife rehabilitation center this morning, and was told that a law has been passed prohibiting them from helping orphaned fawns. Now I'm hoping to find someone within driving distance who raises deer.

The sweet-voiced lady at the rehab center offered to 'euthanize' the fawn for us.

What a wicked, upside-down society we live in nowadays! It's perfectly fine to kill millions of human babies via the procedure-that-must-not-be-named, but it's illegal for the professional wildlife rehabilitation centers to rescue an orphaned deer.

Nuts.
But it's not illegal for you, or someone else, to raise it? I hope-I hope-I hope!

But it's not illegal for you, or someone else, to raise it? I hope-I hope-I hope!
I was hoping to hand the fawn over to a professional outfit, but that isn't an option. Maybe there's an outlaw band of wildlife rehabilitators?

I don't think this tiny creature will survive without some veterinary-level intervention.

Forget trying to find an organization, they just smile, take them, euthanize them.

I made that mistake in '02 when I called them on an injured baby fawn that had decided to live among my goat herd. They showed up in a van, told me they were going to euthanize it(said they'd rehabilitate it on the phone), I was powerless to stop them from taking and murdering that poor baby.

I was informed that its illegal to have domestic wildlife as a pet..

Try and raise that poor baby. See if you can get it eating and up to the point it can live outside. It might live this way, unlike calling the state which IS a death sentence.

Can't be worse than human children. You can cage the deer and nobody will say a thing. You could even eat it if it got that bad. Just you try any of THAT bubblegum with a kid and see what happens.
So if you cage it, you're illegally keeping wildlife as a pet. If you are caught feeding it, basically same deal. When the pet-not-pet deer come up to you as the wildlife cops are in your driveway and they start nibbling your hair, the wildlife cops are going to get wise.

My family went through this. Dawn (her name) finally got shot during doe season when she was 5-6 or so.

My advice is to not do this.

So if you cage it, you're illegally keeping wildlife as a pet.
Your right. I should go downtown and break windows and set fires instead.

I was being light and goofy with that post. But have to wonder, will oregon ever get back to enforcing the laws that are on the books?

I know its quote a drive, but what about contacting The West Coast Game Park near Bandon? They have a walkthrough zoo with free roaming dear and other critters that you can feed and pet. Beautiful drive to Bandon, a night or two on the coast with the wife, good seafood, beautiful weather? Just saying....

Or, for the sickos, there's the Great Cats World Park in Cave Junction. Lion, tigers, ocelots, cougar, African Wildcats, and many others to "feed."

I know its quote a drive, but what about contacting The West Coast Game Park near Bandon? They have a walkthrough zoo with free roaming dear and other critters that you can feed and pet. Beautiful drive to Bandon, a night or two on the coast with the wife, good seafood, beautiful weather? Just saying....

Or, for the sickos, there's the Great Cats World Park in Cave Junction. Lion, tigers, ocelots, cougar, African Wildcats, and many others to "feed."
I'll call the game park tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

Howard, you are to be commended for your compassion and your humanitarian action in caring for this orphaned creature. However I am afraid that @DeanfromOregon is correct. If you raise it, chances are it will turn out to be a real pest. A neighbor of mine tried this, and when the deer became an adult it became very destructive. Even though released into the wild, it would hang around the house. It climbed on top of their cars and boat, causing damage, and attacked the family dog. In the end it had to be shot. Sad but true.

The tiny baby has died.

When we checked on it this morning, it was too weak to stand. We simply weren't able to get enough food into its belly, I think.

I held it while it faded and drew its last breaths.

0F363BC7-C4E8-498A-8D7F-87620EAF4947.jpeg

I am sorry for you loss Howard.

I take comfort in knowing that the deer died while being held and loved...
May you take comfort in the same...as well as knowing that you did all that you could here.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR