JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, we've had a bit of an unusual day here.

A very large doe has been around our place lately. She was so wide, I told my wife that I thought the doe was going to have twins, or triplets.

She showed up again today, with these terrible wounds on her. The wounds are on either side of her body, just behind her front shoulders. She also still has an umbilical cord hanging out of her.

00BE38B9-9A09-495D-84F7-1D2C0FD4E6A4.jpeg

06AE2531-07D0-43EF-84B2-9714BDCF34C0.png

636E5AF5-B0B4-407B-AE95-5F43BC60268D.jpeg

43066564-BE83-4B2B-8648-23FFD21A3020.jpeg

As I looked around the place, I came across this scat.

73EACC3F-7956-4909-BE78-25BCA9D3F409.jpeg

My best guess is that she was giving birth to her second (or third) fawn, and was attacked by a black bear. She managed to get away from the scene, I think, because the bear got busy eating the newly-birthed fawn.

I'm guessing that this little fawn was hers, too. It came crying up to me while I was out looking around.

Long story short, we have a dead doe with an umbilical cord trailing out of her, a tiny fawn in our care, and some scat that might belong to a black bear.

I put a tape measure across one of the wounds on the deer. Are those claw marks? And if they are, can we make an educated guess about the size of the beast that attacked her?

We're not having much success getting the fawn to drink "fawn formula ". If it survives the night, I'll try to get it to a wildlife rehabilitation place in the morning.

378AD641-6C83-4BD3-9A80-71D4D7A9F32A.jpeg

Last Edited:
Wendigo. :eek:

Edit. In all seriousness... scat looks bear. Claw marks and size looks more like mountain lion??? Hard to tell, both mountain lion and bear claw marks on flesh look similar but mountain lion claws may be more sharp cutting and spread out? I know we have both around the valley. You're near Kings Valley area?

Wendigo. :eek:

Edit. In all seriousness... scat looks bear. Claw marks and size looks more like mountain lion??? Hard to tell, both mountain lion and bear claw marks on flesh look similar but mountain lion claws may be more sharp cutting and spread out? I know we have both around the valley. You're near Kings Valley area?

Not far from there, and we have both mountain lion and bear pass through our place occasionally.

Pretty sure it's illegal to keep pet deer in Oregon. And pretty sure that the only help you'd get from ODFW would be for them to insist you turn the deer over to them. They were pretty surly to me a few years ago when I had a native to Oregon brush rabbit in my city yard, where I had no brush, and wanted to move it to a place near me where there WAS brush.

That's a cute little sucker isn't it?

might be illegal to "keep" wild game (wouldnt surprise me, but im ignant) but if youre just feeding it till its old enough to feed itself, and its otherwise free to come and go as it pleases, i think itd be unlikely youd get in any trouble.

i personally know of a couple different folks who have done exactly this, actually - ended up with orphan fawns on their property, and just fed em till they were big enough to forage fo theyself. They become lifelong friends, but are in no way "pets"

The fawn is still alive this morning, and is starting to drink the 'fawn formula'.

I've been trying to contact Turtle Ridge Wildlife Center (in Salem) since last night, but all I get is a busy signal.

Does anyone here have a suggestion for another wildlife rehab center?

A quick look shows "Rowena Wildlife Clinic" Mosier Or.
Andy

Thanks, Andy. That's a little over 2 hours from us, but we might go there.

I found Turtle Ridge on Facebook. Apparently, they had taken in a bear cub but weren't supposed to do that. ODFW has shut them down, and killed the cub.

Chintimini Wildlife Center in Corvallis is pretty close to us. If the fawn is still alive tomorrow (when they open again), we'll see if they will take it into their care.

Thanks again, Andy.

Thanks, Andy. That's a little over 2 hours from us, but we might go there.

I found Turtle Ridge on Facebook. Apparently, they had taken in a bear cub but weren't supposed to do that. ODFW has shut them down, and killed the cub.
Well at least they've done real well for anadromous fish in The Northwest...Oh, wait.
SNAP!

Chintimini Wildlife Center in Corvallis is pretty close to us. If the fawn is still alive tomorrow (when they open again), we'll see if they will take it into their care.

Thanks again, Andy.
I hope the little guy/(gal?) makes it. Just to beautiful to parish. Have you got a heating pad or hot water bottle to keep it warm? If it hasn't eaten it may have a hard time keeping body heat?

I hope the little guy/(gal?) makes it. Just to beautiful to parish. Have you got a heating pad or hot water bottle to keep it warm? If it hasn't eaten it may have a hard time keeping body heat?

It's starting to eat, and we're keeping it cozy. We're hopeful that it will survive. So far, so good.

790B4F55-704C-4133-BA96-4EBD2653103B.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top