JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to the range today, was having a great range day when all of a sudden disaster struck. I started shooting my CZ scorpion and had about 50 rounds down the pipe and everything was going great. (Have about 700 rounds down the pipe so far total through the gun). All of a sudden rounds weren't hitting the target. Clumps of dirt were flying up and the bullets were falling short and hitting the dirt all over the place before the target. The red dot and irons weren't off because every few rounds I'd still get a round right on target in the bullseye. I switched from the red dot to irons and the issue was still there. The other rounds were falling short and hitting both left and right of the target down on the ground. There was no consistency I'm wondering if I damaged my barrel somehow. When I got home I broke it down and shined a light down the barrel and the rifling looks fine. Anyone had an experience like this? I'm praying it's the ammo. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to take some different ammo to the range and see if everything's ok. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Some details missing to help you figure this out.

Rifle or pistol, if pistol are you holding off body or using a brace?

Ammo type?

Distance to target?

Last time cleaned?

Optic info?

Winchester white box 124 grain.
50 yards to target.
Last cleaned after last range trip.
Used both trijicon MRO and factory irons, issue completely unrelated to optic.
Hard to say really, at fifty yards you should expect 2-6" groups with basic 9mm ball ammo. Could be the ammo, could be you.

How are you shooting this weapon?

Pistol with brace? Pistol with bungee sling? Rifle shouldered?

Any other modifications?

Was all the ammo from the same lot? A dirty gun won't cause the issues you describe. You ruled out optics as well.

My vote: Bad batch of ammo. Maybe underpowered? Did they sound normal? Try a different brand all together and report back.

Hard to say really, at fifty yards you should expect 2-6" groups with basic 9mm ball ammo. Could be the ammo, could be you.

How are you shooting this weapon?

Pistol with brace? Pistol with bungee sling? Rifle shouldered?

Any other modifications?

Pistol with brace. Was shooting 2-4 MOA with a VEPR fm all day at 100 yarss. Have lots of experience with scorpion, not to toot my own horn but my accuracy is good

Was all the ammo from the same lot? A dirty gun won't cause the issues you describe. You ruled out optics as well.

My vote: Bad batch of ammo. Maybe underpowered? Did they sound normal? Try a different brand all together and report back.
Ok thank you. That's what I'm hoping it is. They sounded fairly normal. I'm hoping they were just underpowered

Winchester white box 124 grain.
50 yards to target.
Last cleaned after last range trip.
Used both trijicon MRO and factory irons, issue completely unrelated to optic.
Sure sounds like ammo but hard to say. Did it "sound off" at all? I had this a while back with some of that Win. USA steel case 9mm. Had been buying it for a while since it was about a buck cheaper and don't roll 9 any more. One day had a dud. Had a solid hit, thought strange. Then next few rounds sounded "off" and then a hang fire. Felt almost like shooing a flintlock. That was it for that ammo. Popped in some other and all was fine. Unfortunately I had dumped the ammo from the box into containers and thrown the box. So no way to find lot #. Ended up tossing a couple other boxes of the stuff I had at home just to be safe. From what you are saying I would go back with some other ammo and see what happens.

I'm just ruling out stuff. That's how I think. Not trying to put blame anywhere.

At this point it is either the gun, or the ammo.

I'd say thoroughly inspect the gun, bolt, crown, chamber, etc.

Then try different ammo.

Sure sounds like ammo but hard to say. Did it "sound off" at all? I had this a while back with some of that Win. USA steel case 9mm. Had been buying it for a while since it was about a buck cheaper and don't roll 9 any more. One day had a dud. Had a solid hit, thought strange. Then next few rounds sounded "off" and then a hang fire. Felt almost like shooing a flintlock. That was it for that ammo. Popped in some other and all was fine. Unfortunately I had dumped the ammo from the box into containers and thrown the box. So no way to find lot #. Ended up tossing a couple other boxes of the stuff I had at home just to be safe. From what you are saying I would go back with some other ammo and see what happens.
Unfortunately I only remember hearing anything off, I should have paid closer attention. I'm going to go to another indoor range later this evening with other ammo and see what happens. I have my finger crossed it's just the ammo

Check the barrel crown. You may have nicked it causing a bur which would cause "random" inaccuracy.

Most Scorps I've seen have a muzzle device of some sort, making that pretty tough to do. Unless maybe hammering a cleaning rod down the muzzle.

Unfortunately I only remember hearing anything off, I should have paid closer attention. I'm going to go to another indoor range later this evening with other ammo and see what happens. I have my finger crossed it's just the ammo

Try and if you have some of the other ammo and a hand gun that uses it try it in another gun. See if you get the same results. If it is maybe e-mail Win with the lot # and see if they say anything.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews