JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, you got lots of guns and ammo. You have lots of food. You can defend you home bunker against attacks with fire arms.
But I don't play fair, I'll burn your house down and kill you when you run outside to keep from being burned alive. I will then sort through what is left for food that did not burn. I have my own weapons so don't care if yours are burned up. Enough of your food will be ok to keep me going for several days and until I find another castle to burn down.
How many of you have planed for a attack by fire??
I didn't until yesterday. Was thinking to much about guns, ammo and food.

How do you plan on setting my place on fire from 150 yards away ?

If you actually let anybody get close enough to burn you out, then your plans suck. If post SHTF, a threat gets inside 100 yards, you have a problem.

The scenario you lay out is of pillage, mayhem, evil and predators. Might want to rethink that plan.

I wouldn't see someone using fire if they want what you have. If you have food, gun and ammo then fire would destroy the vast majority of it. It is much more difficult to stop a fire once started.

An uncontrolled house fire doesn't leave much without intervention by people with modern fire fighting equipment, even then it is a crap shoot if it goes too long.

Granted, it is a great tactic if you want to kill those within the structure. Great for consolidating your own power base by eliminating those who would take resources from your area. Just be sure you can stop one, if the tactic's are used against you.

and another reason to be very mobile, or have multiple places dispersed on your property.

of course there are ways to fireproof homes, but the PTB do not want us to; since it also indirectly means the homes are ALSO proof against most invasions for the most part...... that is why the building codes are rather...stupid in specifications....

its difficult to burn rock/masonry down....but also very difficult to just breach a reinforced brick wall/fire wall....unless you happen to have something stronger than an armored car. (read; engineering tanks/bulldozers)

now...having an armored bunker underground...a bomb shelter/disaster shelter so to speak....wouldn't be easy to burn down, BUT "smoke em out" is a tactic that has been used for a LONG time by Police and Military.... where the air vents and air purifier units are...along with AC units....very quick way to induce smoke into the homes/shelters and suffocate the people in there; then after the smoke clears, breach the door/entrances and go scavenge whatever weapons, ammo, foods there are.
(alternately, cutting the power if tied into grid...or e-bomb the generators/off-grid system..)

EDIT:
another way; put down a smoke bomb down the chimneys...or block the chimneys with something to prevent smoke coming out..

and another reason to be very mobile, or have multiple places dispersed on your property.

I think we covered some stuff like this in another thread. A "house" is just a dormitory / mess area structure. To expect most homes that are stick framed to provide any type of tactical cover is wasting your planning time. Having multiple places reduces your risk and loss exposure in any one building or location. It is much easier to build guard post structures to cover all access points to your area, and deny close access to any op for.

You can have smaller, but much more secure dedicated purpose structures around your area, and defend them much easier than a "house".

I think we covered some stuff like this in another thread. A "house" is just a dormitory / mess area structure. To expect most homes that are stick framed to provide any type of tactical cover is wasting your planning time. Having multiple places reduces your risk and loss exposure in any one building or location. It is much easier to build guard post structures to cover all access points to your area, and deny close access to any op for.

You can have smaller, but much more secure dedicated purpose structures around your area, and defend them much easier than a "house".

precisely.

I don't own property myself. live in an Apartment..however...my parents; of whom I would become the caretaker of; have property...and we have a decent plan.

I've been looking at the compact shelter designs.... like a 14x14 A-frame shack that can be built to be mobile; can be built from timber or reinforced concrete... or built as guard posts...
I've also been looking at the frontier fort designs and POW camp designs from VN and from Indian wars....lots of great simple designs..I also have Ian V. Hogg's book on Fortification, from the 70s I believe....has a whole bunch of ideas in there that can be applied for asymmetrical warfare...

Yes, fire is a dangerous thing. an empty bottle and 50. worth of gasoline can be a real game changer, all the more reason to buddy-up, however anyone w/incendiary device, even those w/flamethrower units supported by a rifle squad, suffer very high attrition

In a good laid out area defense, you would have a scout / sentry (s) out 150 -200 yards. That scout would remain in the open covered by a person in the main area with the appropriate weapon. The scouts duty is to intercept any "flamethrower types" and determine their business, while still at a distance, well away from the main group or area.

If the scouts had to engage, then the cover fire would come down on the threat, since with a possible engagement, you would have called up additional assets for cover and that should be the end of that. Not letting the threat close enough to burn anything other than himself up is the idea.

...But I don't play fair, I'll burn your house down and kill you when you run outside to keep from being burned alive....How many of you have planed for a attack by fire?

I dunno... Seems more "Xbox" than real life. I think you would choose an assault on the neighbor's house first since it looks to be an easier target. My dogs would alert me as to what was going on. I would probably walk out on the deck with my scoped rifle, sit down, have a sip of wine, then shoot you. Evil castle plunderer eliminated.

200 yd field of view, no problem, my 06 is zeroed in at 250 yds. Night scope on one.
Look up Bangalor grande. Wire breaching device.
200 yds of pvc. pour gas in one end. light with flare which Coast Guard requires me to have on my boat.
Underground, pour gas down enterence. light match. Testing? pour some gas down a gopher hole, toss match on edge of hole, not in hole.
Look up Gopher Blaster.
Note; a house will not burn up completely. There will be some salavgable stuff.
Occupant who steps outside to put out fire will get shot.
Go Medevil!!!

I think they've had flaming arrows for thousands of years, you people with the 150-200 yard stare.
yup then there's all sorts of things you can build that can launch flaming oil buckets....launch large molotov cocktails....launch burning tires.... (think catapults and trebuchets, and Ballistas which are essentially giant crossbows)

a network of tunnels under dispersed stick buildings that dont look like anything special (sheds, outhouses, shacks, garages, shops) could be of benefit for the family....and could be used as a system to have underground generators, piping, (easier to maintain sewer pipes and such, should there be earthquakes..), along with storage.. and impromptu storm shelters...

200 yd field of view, no problem, my 06 is zeroed in at 250 yds. Night scope on one.
trebuchets can launch over 200 yards in an arc. (so does big air cannons but those are noisier)

Look up Bangalor grande. Wire breaching device.
200 yds of pvc. pour gas in one end. light with flare which Coast Guard requires me to have on my boat.
easy to defend against, disperse your dwellings/storage/caches and go underground.
Underground, pour gas down enterence. light match. Testing? pour some gas down a gopher hole, toss match on edge of hole, not in hole.
Look up Gopher Blaster.
multiple entrances, vents, fire doors in the tunnels.
Note; a house will not burn up completely. There will be some salavgable stuff.
Occupant who steps outside to put out fire will get shot.
Go Medevil!!!
for the most part, yeah, but smoking is still more efficient than straight fire; plus you get to move into the old house after eliminating people...or you can consolidate it with your lines.

For a brief moment, I thought we we had the Assault Wheel Barrow man posting.

No. I do Not Use his name: just like the Only Line from all the stupid Harry Potter movies, "He who must not be named"...

Then I took another sip of coffee and remembered he is in prison again. And his attack Voiceless dog???? I don't know, maybe he was served in a Chinese Restaurant!!!!

philip,
More coffee, less posting.

What you bring up is the deficiency of any plan that lacks "defense in depth", a house, a "castle" or any other fixed defensive structure is a plan that hasn't worked since the 1400's. Just ask the french how well the maginot line worked at the outset of WW2...

I rent a house. Most of my stuff of importance could get throw in my vehicle in the garage (which the door to is steps from my room) very quickly, drive through the garage door, shoot person who set my house on fire in the genitals, take their gear, let them bleed out on my lawn. I don't have a long term bug in plan for my place on purpose. My neighborhood would turn into a war zone pretty fast.

I rent a house. Most of my stuff of importance could get throw in my vehicle in the garage (which the door to is steps from my room) very quickly, drive through the garage door, shoot person who set my house on fire in the genitals, take their gear, let them bleed out on my lawn. I don't have a long term bug in plan for my place on purpose. My neighborhood would turn into a war zone pretty fast.

I agree, it's a difficult situation, plus Obama is making it even more difficult to move out due to transportation costs

Ok, you got lots of guns and ammo. You have lots of food. You can defend you home bunker against attacks with fire arms.
But I don't play fair, I'll burn your house down and kill you when you run outside to keep from being burned alive. I will then sort through what is left for food that did not burn. I have my own weapons so don't care if yours are burned up. Enough of your food will be ok to keep me going for several days and until I find another castle to burn down.
How many of you have planed for a attack by fire??
I didn't until yesterday. Was thinking to much about guns, ammo and food.

Pretty sure when it gets to the point that Woofs are playing with matches, people like me and mine will be watching for woofs instead of laying in bed scratching our asses while watching Deadliest Catch re-runs.

Actually, the more I think about it...it might be fun going woof hunting.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top