JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You might find that the sort of people that steal guns to pawn them aren't going to have a lot left to award you in small claims court. Or via restitution.
"Can't get blood out of a turnip" as my family describes it.

Yes, indeed, however I'd want the person to see jail time even if I didn't get my money back.

Actually the Detective said they have done nothing wrong .And I have done nothing wrong. The pawn shop cleared the gun and when I bought it the gun was cleared. The gun was just recently reported stolen . He also said he wouldnt meet me at the pawn shop to hand over the gun as I requested because I would be using him to intimidate the pawn shop into giving me my money back...... he was right about that ..... I really dont have anyone on my side in this matter . My hope in posting this nightmare is that everyone will get a feel for what can happen when you buy a used gun or maybe even a new one. . .
Lawyer's office

In the decades since I turned 18 I have bought many used guns. Not one of them have ever turned up stolen or broken. Yes it is unfortunate that this happened, but a rare incident would not cause me to advise my friends to refrain from buying used guns.

Really it falls to the shop to make it right for a customer.

The damage of a bad reputation will cost them far more than $800. The shop has to make it right.
The shop potentially bought that gun for 250-400 and resold for 800. So their loss is not even close to 800.
Even if there's isn't a legal requirement for the shop to give back 800. They should WANT to just out of honor and reputation.

They should want to make it right or the victim has every right to name them to anyone and everyone so they lose the maximum level of profits for many years.

It's socially acceptable to be a little bit vindictive and dickish when someone screws you over instead of doing the right thing... right?

I promise the OP.
If they screw you for the 800 and you name them here... I will go to the shop and pretend to be very interested in several expensive items. Then at the last minute after wasting their time... I will ask if they are the shop that sold a stolen gun and kept the $.. then I'll walk out :) it will be a fun little operation for me.

I may be wrong, but I think you could have just said, "I bought it legally, sue me."
Screenshot_20220502-085404_Chrome.jpg

Since this op is in WA state, I don't believe OSP regulations are relevant. WA pawn shops are required to send daily logs of purchases to law enforcement which are then to be cross referenced with known stolen property. I don't know who does that checking or whether or not those records go very far back. If this gun was stolen, it's likely that it sat in pawn for 90-120 days before becoming available for sale. If it wasn't reported stolen until after the sale, it would definitely be a red flag. You'd need to have more information about original purchaser/reporter, date stolen, date reported stolen...
If the pawn shop knowingly sold stolen property, it's larceny. If they neglected to record or report transaction, that's sufficient evidence that they suspected it was stolen.

Was it really stolen or was it 'reported' stolen after-the-fact for insurance claims? OP said he bought it a year ago.
Every time you're faced with a simple story, do you assume it is actually a convoluted conspiracy?

Maybe the gun was in storage and no one realized it was gone. Maybe the gun was loaned to a friend who then stole it by pawning it. Maybe the gun was owned by someone who died, and the family didn't immediately realize it was missing? Maybe they didn't realize they were supposed to report it stolen? Maybe they couldn't find the serial number for a year?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top