JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I ran into this article and it made me think of this thread...
https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/6-5-creedmoor-vs-the-6-5-55-swedish/

Just in time for Easter!

94C97B3B-5EAF-4B11-9154-CE8C1FB01962.gif

IMHO the only thing the creedmoor did was take a 6.5mm round and make it fit into a AR-308/AR-10 action and magazine.

It did nothing else special.

If we're talking strictly bolt guns here: both a .270, and a 25-06 will shoot flatter than a 6.5 creedmoor.

for the AR-308, a .243 winchester shoots flatter than the 6.5 creedmoor and it's been around since the 50's.

Admittedly it crossed my mind to build a 6.5 creedmoor for a hot minute till I compared more ballistic data on it. Settled on another .308 and built that instead.

I really don't get the intense feelings for the 6.5 CM, both pro and anti. I mean it really is the single most divisive issue we face as a nation. Hands down.

I really wanted a 260 Rem (which is basically identical ballistically) forever, and resisted the fad thing for a long time, but the support for the 6.5 is clearly better, so I got one a couple years ago. Sold that one and bought a Bergara in 6.5. I enjoy shooting it out to 1k yds and it does it well. It seems to be a good balance of cost to reload, barrel life, and performance.

At the end of the day, I don't have super strong feelings for it, I haven't grown a man bun (although full disclosure, my wife and kid make some avacado toast that actually isn't bad). It's just another tool in the toolbox.

all the hype for "new cartridges" is great. as an old fart, i love to see it. it keeps the conversation and great debate among shooters going. rifle vs. rifle, round vs. round, it's all good debate for us shooters. back in the day, since about 1900, those new caliber/cartridge guys were called "wildcatters". i hope to hell dads old lyman wildcat reloading manual is still in one of the boxes he left me.
if you younguns with a new rifle/caliber sit down at a bench beside an old crusty fart with a beat up rifle, be prepared to buy him breakfast.
this is a much better topic than you can find on tv.

The old-school approach to cartridge design—large case and going fast—resulted in very heavy charges of slow propellants. In general, with this approach the propellant is not completely burned by the time the projectile exits the barrel. The result is faster barrel wear, severe muzzle blast, and heavy recoil. I have several 6.5x55 swed but I love the recoil and accuracy of my 6.5prc. The newer faster twist barrels make it an easy choice for me.

The old-school approach to cartridge design—large case and going fast—resulted in very heavy charges of slow propellants. In general, with this approach the propellant is not completely burned by the time the projectile exits the barrel. The result is faster barrel wear, severe muzzle blast, and heavy recoil. I have several 6.5x55 swed but I love the recoil and accuracy of my 6.5prc. The newer faster twist barrels make it an easy choice for me.

"Over-bore" cartridges were a big thing and still are to a certain extent. Roy Weatherby did it best. They do cause excessive barrel wear assuming someone can stand shooting it enough to burn it up.

I think the pendulum has swung to efficiency and less-recoil that equal more pleasant and economical shooting. To me, the cost is terminal performance. But, if you shoot better with it, any loss of performance is negated by better shot placement.

However, I only like 3 cartridges that were legitimized after 1963. 7mm-08, 17 HMR, and 40 S&W.

The 6.5CM was originally concieved as an across the course highpower chambering that needed to fit into an AR-10 magazine. It caught on quick though and its popularity appears to be growing.

My Grandfather complained about the 270 Win the same way!
Not that there was anything wrong with them! Just that he was tired of hearing about them!
I am a fan of the 6.5x55 Swede. I have been shooting it since the late 80's. And after a couple shoulder surgery's, it has become my deer rifle of choice. But if I were starting over today I would go CM! There is not enough difference between them to worry about. And CM brass has gotten easy to find anywhere. I still have to look for Swede brass.
I'll keep shooting the Swede, and enjoying the developments the CM has brought about! DR

I really wanted a 260 Rem (which is basically identical ballistically) forever, and resisted the fad thing for a long time
Same, until I realized that part of what I got in an estate deal was both a really nifty single shot Savage 110 in 260 AND an Eliseo Custom in 6.5 CM. So my days of dodging the .264 bore are definitely coming to a middle.

P3110381.JPG

I bought two of these when SARCO brought over the pile of 'em some years ago.
Model 38 short rifle I believe is what it's called.
Kept the nicer one.
I'm not sure what that thing on the end of the barrel is. Probably some sort of suppressor.
Guess I'd better send the Feds $200 before they knock on the door.

IMHO the only thing the creedmoor did was take a 6.5mm round and make it fit into a AR-308/AR-10 action and magazine.

It did nothing else special.

If we're talking strictly bolt guns here: both a .270, and a 25-06 will shoot flatter than a 6.5 creedmoor.

for the AR-308, a .243 winchester shoots flatter than the 6.5 creedmoor and it's been around since the 50's.

Admittedly it crossed my mind to build a 6.5 creedmoor for a hot minute till I compared more ballistic data on it. Settled on another .308 and built that instead.
Nailed it!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads