JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something of that nature deserves a collectors auction if you are deciding to sell it.

Rock Island Auction house would be my first thought if your intention is selling it, they have a long history for selling antique, collectible and obscure arms.

That said it's not uncommon to find appraisers that go based off percentage of item value, especially someone with verifiable history that can be referenced with the items sale.

Me, I would also post my query and pics on sister forum, muzzleloadingforum.com, THE premier BP forum in the USA. I'm not saying that just because I'm on it, but because of the huge number of genuine experts, including many famous American-based and European builders, who are there all the time, just itching to see a piece like this.

Mike Brooke and Dave Person are just two that come to mind instantly.

My $0.02. [Note that even in Dog Dollars that's still only $0.14.]

42AE52F0-FAAC-42A5-8BEA-B6E854E172B5.jpeg A6A70603-BB96-4574-8FDB-FB9883F1E9E0.jpeg 8EB2D0B7-D085-43A1-B7F4-ABA139D8469A.jpeg A15704FC-A0D0-4DD9-A355-CC8F8C2341A7.jpeg 854D5C0F-6DFB-44A0-8732-CEE4DC24760D.jpeg 6FC8C26C-F958-4332-8B27-8817096BE598.jpeg DC257A78-967E-419C-BFE0-02E95B06D07C.jpeg 414597E8-5E41-489A-8E15-6542BEB8A876.jpeg
ECDA86B4-BA0C-418A-8950-36B4FEEFEE79.jpeg DA4CF420-6256-4C93-9474-2CFA74C27985.jpeg C1EFD8FB-A4C6-4440-BC6A-D38F615AC211.jpeg

I'd really appreciate some horizontal photos rather than the foreshortened images that you have been kind enough to show us so far. If possible - full-length, taken with a camera rather than some kind of phone? The first image in the post is good, but we'd like some details about the length and so on.

Can you do that?

I'd really appreciate some horizontal photos rather than the foreshortened images that you have been kind enough to show us so far. If possible - full-length, taken with a camera rather than some kind of phone? The first image in the post is good, but we'd like some details about the length and so on.

Can you do that?
I'll try and do that tonight. What do you mean by full length? Like the first one here but more up close?
I only have my phone for a camera :/

FWIW (nothing, I'm sure), I had a Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester appraised at Cabela's once.

I don't know how accurate their appraisal was, but I used that information to get the price I was asking (slightly more than the appraisal) when I sold the rifle.

I don't recall what I paid for the service, but, as I am a cheap bastage, it couldn't have been much. ~$40 IIRC.

Throwing it out there as another option to consider.

Perfect!!! Thank you. These excellent images can only help us to help you. I'm putting a date on this rifle post 1840, when the back-action lock became popular in widespread gun-making, both in Yoorup and North America. The beautiful scrollwork is very well executed, and appears to have been etched, rather than incised, a totally different skill set. The flat-sided hammers/cocks are typically American, though, and whole piece appears to be of high quality. It seems to be very short, more like a brush gun than a long range hunting piece, so I'm putting my money firmly on the East Coast and its use for what in Europe we would call driven game, like boar/hog.

There is no doubt that this gun was made for a prominent and rich person, as it would have cost a small fortune to build at the time, even though wages were low. I wish you lots of luck with finding out more about it.

Second to Ian McCollum, and also you might contact Ashley Hlebinsky at Cody Firearms Museum. Who knows, she might do something like trading appraisal for a temporary exhibit...

I second this suggestion regarding the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming, and if you're never been there it's worth the drive. Virtual walkthrough below.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews