JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My favorite is a 204 Ruger, number 2 favorite is a 17 Hornet then the 223 Remington. I have owned swifts, 6MMs, 25-06 and other calibers.

204 in a varmit weight barrel will allow observation of the bullet impact through the scope. With a heavy barrel, recoil is so mild you can keep the scope on the target.

Another caliber to look at is a 17 hornet. It has very little muzzle blast, easy to reload, a pound of powder will provide almost 700 loads, out to 400 yards-has about the same flight trajectory as a 223. It is also very accurate. When components were reasonably priced, I could reload it for less than the cost of purchasing 17 HMR ammo.

223 is a good option, cost of rifles tend to be less, brass is inexpensive and there are many bullet options.

A 6MM caliber gives an option for use of the rifle to hunt in most states. 6MM flight trajectories, with 80 grain or heavier bullets, have a flatter trajectory after about 400 yards. I have found the smaller calibers IE 204,17 and 223, easier to run all day long when shooting lots of rounds.

Nobody got time fo dat.
I had one years ago in Montana. A nice Weatherby with a 3x9 Leupold.. reloaded for it, same as anything else. It worked plenty good but so did my .243 BLR and Model 600 Mohawk.
I have a 257 weatherby mag I like it and it shoots fine but the price of ammunition is ridiculous

Have to love the terrific 20's...esp if you want to go fast. If you dont reload, then the 204R is a great accurate cartridge choice. If you reload, have a look at the 20practical...and the 20Vartarg is as sweet as it gets.
For some reason I am interested in the 204 R caliber but I am liking the Browning X bolt I already own a few other Brownings and they have served me well and I don't reload but I have a friend that does all of my reloading

My favorite is a 204 Ruger, number 2 favorite is a 17 Hornet then the 223 Remington. I have owned swifts, 6MMs, 25-06 and other calibers.

204 in a varmit weight barrel will allow observation of the bullet impact through the scope. With a heavy barrel, recoil is so mild you can keep the scope on the target.

Another caliber to look at is a 17 hornet. It has very little muzzle blast, easy to reload, a pound of powder will provide almost 700 loads, out to 400 yards-has about the same flight trajectory as a 223. It is also very accurate. When components were reasonably priced, I could reload it for less than the cost of purchasing 17 HMR ammo.

223 is a good option, cost of rifles tend to be less, brass is inexpensive and there are many bullet options.

A 6MM caliber gives an option for use of the rifle to hunt in most states. 6MM flight trajectories, with 80 grain or heavier bullets, have a flatter trajectory after about 400 yards. I have found the smaller calibers IE 204,17 and 223, easier to run all day long when shooting lots of rounds.
I own a 6mm and a 257 weather I don't like the price of weatherby ammunition and the 6mm is hard on brass I enjoy both but I find myself wanting a 204 I am really liking the X-bolt with a long barrel I don't reload but I have a friend that does all of my reloading

I'm not that big of a fan of the .257 Wby Mag. I already had a couple of .25-06s, but won a Weatherby at a banquet. The increase in statistics over the .06 was more than offset by the increase in recoil. And, as mentioned, ammunition is expensive. I sold it.

Hard to go wrong with a .22-250, but I love me some .218 Bee. (Don't go there though, unless you reload.) Also, I like the .222 and .222 magnum (another reloader).

Heck. Get one of each. Or two.:D

Agreed, most versatile and afforable of small bore cf cartridges,

Define "small."

I'm not that big of a fan of the .257 Wby Mag. I already had a couple of .25-06s, but won a Weatherby at a banquet. The increase in statistics over the .06 was more than offset by the increase in recoil. And, as mentioned, ammunition is expensive. I sold it.

Hard to go wrong with a .22-250, but I love me some .218 Bee. (Don't go there though, unless you reload.) Also, I like the .222 and .222 magnum (another reloader).

Heck. Get one of each. Or i

Heck. Get one of each. Or two.:D
I would love to own atleast 2 of every caliber and manufacturer but the only problem is I have not become a billionaire yet

I would love to own atleast 2 of every caliber and manufacturer but the only problem is I have not become a billionaire yet
I hear you. My wife was just lamenting how she only had one number tonight and it wasn't even the Powerball. So, it's back to work tomorrow.

.220 Swift. Just because. Have a Ruger 77V, but I'd like an AR10 chambered in it. Except for semi-rim, it would be a go.
My son has a 220 swift and he loves it but he is interested in getting a 204 and that's why I am also interested in the 204 I am liking the X-bolt model I have had good luck with Browning

I already own a 6mm rem and a 257 weatherby I enjoy both but the 6 is hard on brass and the weatherby ammunition is hard on the bank account

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top