JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the .17 Remington. It's a hot little round that can be very accurate. A 20-grain bullet can be pushed to over 4200 fps, and the 25-grain bullet breaks the 4000 fps mark, as well. Perfect for varmints.

The thing is, gentleman and lady, that because of where you live and the way you live, all you need do is to waltz into the LGS of choice, do the BGC and walk out with the rifle of choice, and then, if you find it's not up to snuff, do the same thing all over again with a trade-in - ad infinitum.

Here in UK, if I decide on a calibre today, the paperwork and admin and cost entailed in doing it - not a lot, but enough to buy a box of bullets of choice - might take a few weeks, or even, if you are unlucky enough to live in more than a few counties, a few months. You might also be asked why you want that calibre in the first place...and, here's the thing, your application might just be refused altogether.

You buy US-branded rifles at about 2/3 or even 1/2 the price we pay - I know this to be a fact, since I live in both UK and the PNW during the normal year, and go to and spend money in a number of stores local to me in my time with you. Most times, though, it's pounds for dollars or thereabouts. Your thousand-dollar rifle costs at least fifteen-hundred here, often a deal more.

And for reasons totally incomprehensible to us poor shooters here, a rifle made in Finland, a spit and a fart over the North Sea and around the bottom of Sweden away, costs you about 25% LESS despite having cross the Atlantic Ocean AND the entire width of North America before it ends up on the rack in Cabela's in Tualatin.

My advice is to go exercise your RKBA and plastic purchasing device and buy a few that take your fancy.

Anything not up to your particular snuff can be disposed of on this very site by the simple interchange of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
The problem that I have is once I buy it I don't ever get rid of it I own guns that I have never even fired yet like my Remington 5mm mag rimfire I have owned it for over a year now

Small?

How about the smallest cartridge ever factory chambered by one of the most famous rifle manufacturers in the whole world?

The .40-50 Sharps Bottleneck:

It launches a 400grain bullet at a blistering 1186 feet per second.
View attachment 887732

Versatility is its watchword. Prairie Dogs to Pronghorns, this cartridge will do it all.

View attachment 887741

(Sorry: They ran all us "small cartridge" guys out of Montana.)
I have never heard of this before

I like the .17 Remington. It's a hot little round that can be very accurate. A 20-grain bullet can be pushed to over 4200 fps, and the 25-grain bullet breaks the 4000 fps mark, as well. Perfect for varmints.

Nice. For me the one I want to explore is the TAC 20 with 32gr @4100 fps and uses 223 cases. A whole lot of cheap fun I am thinking.

Last Edited:
Howsabout THIS one, then? It's the .224 BOZ, intended as a super-high velocity pistol cartridge for use with a conversion slide for the FB Browning GP35 or any standard M1911...

1621697289762.png

Last Edited:
Very interesting. Handgun AP ammo is legal in UK? Huh wouldn't have thought that.

Over here we thought the Dunblane Massacre and resulting Firearms Act Amendment in 1997 served to essentially prohibit the private ownership of handguns in Britain.

Very interesting. Handgun AP ammo is legal in UK? Huh wouldn't have thought that.

Over here we thought the Dunblane Massacre and resulting Firearms Act Amendment in 1997 served to essentially prohibit the private ownership of handguns in Britain.
You are correct, however this was not ever intended for civilian use and its development predated the Dunblane Massacre by a few years. It was trialled on a H&K HSP , a SIG 226 and a Tanfoglio of some kind. I got to shoot it on my privately-owned GP35 and it was a hoot to shoot, as they say.

Cartridge-firing handguns that still look like handguns are pretty much extinct on mainland UK, unless you are prepared to own them but not shoot them, or own them AND shoot them but keep at the place where you are allowed to shoot them under supervision, mainly to ensure that you're not enjoying it too much. Northern Ireland also part of the UK, has a lot of legal handgun shooters of ordinary handguns, and about 3000 or so CCW.

Me, I make do with BP revolvers and a thing that looks a lot like a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 12" barrel.

Best for what? Target shooting? Varmints? Other game? Defense?

In general, hard to argue with the .223 Remington / 5.56㎜; the popularity of said isn't an accident. There are some beautifully light handling rifles in .22 Hornet and it is a capable cartridge within its niche. The .22-250 Remington is a fun one. And plenty others too. :)

Best for what? Target shooting? Varmints? Other game? Defense?

In general, hard to argue with the .223 Remington / 5.56㎜; the popularity of said isn't an accident. There are some beautifully light handling rifles in .22 Hornet and it is a capable cartridge within its niche. The .22-250 Remington is a fun one. And plenty others too. :)
My oldest son picked up a winchester model 70 pre 64 in 220 swift so now I have to get something to compete against it at the range mostly

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top